Nichia 219A better color rendering on lower outputs?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so this is by no means a scientific observation, but it seems to me that the Nichia 219A has much better color rendering when it's being driven lower. Am I correct?

I guess lux probably factors in to this because you don't need high lux for up close work, for example, but what I'm saying is that the color rendering seems better regardless of whether it's up close work or illuminating something that's 5-10 feet away.

Am I crazy or am I on to an actual fact?

Enlightened
so this is by no means a scientific observation, but it seems to me that the Nichia 219A has much better color rendering when it's being driven lower. Am I correct? I guess lux probably factors in to this because you don't need high lux for up close work, for example, but what I'm saying is that the color rendering seems better regardless of whether it's up close work or illuminating something that's 5-10 feet away. Am I crazy or am I on to an actual fact?
According to this the answer would seem to be no. CCT and CRI increase with drive current.

Esko

Enlightened
According to this the answer would seem to be no. CCT and CRI increase with drive current.

Chromatic coordinates also drift further away from the black body locus, which may give an impression of rendering becoming worse.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Chromatic coordinates also drift further away from the black body locus, which may give an impression of rendering becoming worse.

This.

:D

An LED may say its 90 CRI, etc, but, that number should be associated with its power supply as its not a fixed number, its a variable. IIRC, the High CRI XML2 was reported to have the opposite relationship as per Overready, where he stated that driving the High CRI XML2 harder reduced the CRI.

foxtrot824

Enlightened
In my opinion having the drive current at a place that keeps the LED on the black body is ideal, that being said I have a high CRI XM-L drop-in running at 2.2A and it's below the black body and looks totally fine :) The Nichia 219 testing I did clearly shows it falling below the black body and into the red (probably increasing the CRI), but still looked to be a reasonably acceptable color.