• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Copper Gizmos?

fyrstormer

Banned
Hey Don, is there any chance you could be talked into doing a run of beryllium-copper Sapphires? (BeCu Haikus would also be cool. You can put me down for one of each, sight-unseen.) I've been looking for something small like the Sapphire, but made of copper, and there really isn't anything like that available -- at least, not McGizmo-quality.

I know you're all about long-term durability, as am I, but if copper is good enough to store nuclear waste for 100,000 years, it should be good enough to survive the hazards of my pocket. Also, the Statue of Liberty suggests that it's a suitable material for a marine environment as well. ;)

I also know you're concerned about profitability; since copper lights are still (and probably always will be) a boutique product, much like titanium lights, it should be fairly easy to set a price that makes it worth your time. Also, a copper run should be slightly less expensive to manufacture, since the softer metal won't chew-up cutting bits as fast, and the metal wouldn't need extensive de-burring like titanium does.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
fyrstormer,
I won't get into all of the reasons and justifications why I simply have to pass on this suggestion. I agree that the material beryllium-copper is an interesting choice for a light and certainly has its merits. I recall looking into it for some marine applications many years ago but got scared off it due to the toxic hazards and dangers of machining it and working with it should any dust or small particles of it be generated and inhaled or ingested.

As for the Sapphire itself, it is the light I use more than any other light and it's a light I want to continue to offer but it is not a very popular item or quick seller. I recently ran out of inventory and had another run of the sets made. If requests for the sapphire continue as they have over the last couple years, I probably have a couple years of inventory now again on hand. I have extended the list of offerings and consequently size of inventory I need to maintain to the point I have to be very careful with what I do and what I plan to offer.

cnckw

Newly Enlightened
Actually this stuff cuts pretty nice with good finishes.

Just my five cents.

Chris
The machinist.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo, your sapphire inventory will go down (by 1) soon. Just waiting for my funny money to land and decide what flavor of XP-G2 to get.

zephyr11

Newly Enlightened
looks like it won't happen? still silently hoping it might, but will for sure get a Ti Sapphire in a matter of weeks.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
That's what I thought. I just saw the post above saying Sapphire and gotta choose what XPG emitter and I was like DOH!!!!