Test/Review of Charger Xtar MC1

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]Charger Xtar MC1[/SIZE]

DSC_5183.jpg

DSC_5184.jpg
DSC_5185.jpg

Xtar makes many LiIon chargers, this is their smallest charger that can handle 18650/26650 batteries. The charger is small and light weight, it can only charge one battery at a time and only with 0.5A.

DSC_5180.jpg
DSC_5181.jpg

I got the charger in a small cardboard box with the specifications printed on it.

DSC_5182.jpg

The box contains the charger, a usb cable, a instruction manual and a warranty card.

DSC_5186.jpg

There is no power supply included with the charger, you must supply your own usb power supply/charger. With a maximum charger current of 0.5A the charger can run will most usb supplies (Some of the cheaper ones does not supply specificed current: See my test).
The connector is micro usb, i.e. most mobil phone chargers can be used.

DSC_5187.jpg

There is not much user interface on the charger, only a red/green led. It is red while charging and green at all other times.

DSC_5188.jpg
DSC_5190.jpg

The charger can handle both button top and flat top batteries.
The slider moves smoothly and can hand cells from 31mm to 72 mm long.

supportedBatteryTypes.png

supportedBatterySizes.png
DSC_5194.jpg
DSC_5193.jpg
DSC_5195.jpg
DSC_5196.jpg
DSC_5192.jpg
DSC_5191.jpg

The charger can easily handle 70 mm long batteries, including flat top cells. (See my small LiIon comparison for length of different brands).
The current is to high for 10440 batteries.

[SIZE=+2]Measurements[/SIZE]

• Below 2.9 volt the charger charges with about 70 mA (Red led is on).
  • Above 2.9 volt the charger applies regular charge current.
  • When the charge is finished the charger is charging with a few uA.
  • The charger will restart if the voltage drops below 4.12 volt, but the led will first indicate charge if the voltage drops below 4.09 volt (This probably depends on the actual reference voltage of the two charge chips).
  • Power cycling or battery reinsertion will not restart charging.
  • When charger is disconnected from power, but with a battery in, it will draw about 25 uA from the battery.
  • Charger has two parallel charging circuits.

Xtar%20MC1%205V%20(PA18650-31).png

In the first curve I have both measured the charge curve, the input current and the temperature. With only 0.5A charge from 5 volt, there is not much heat in the charger.
It does a fairly good CC/CV, it is slightly below maximum possible speed, because the charge current drops slightly when battery voltage raises and it changes to the CV phase a bit early. The termination current is around 40mA, but the charger reports battery full at about 130mA.
It will probably be random what charge circuit finish first, i.e. on half the chargers the led will be correct.

Xtar%20MC1%20(PA18650-34).png

A 3400mAh battery takes longer to charge.

Xtar%20MC1%20(BE18650-26).png

And a 2600mAh battery is faster to charge

Xtar%20MC1%20(AW18350-IMR).png

No surprise with the 18350 cell.

Xtar%20MC1%20(AW16340-IMR).png

Even my old 16340 cell is charged perfectly.

Xtar%20MC1%20(KP14500-08).png

A 800mAh 14500 cell.

Xtar%20MC1%20Input%20voltage.png

The charge current varies slightly with input voltage, i.e. a usb supply that can deliver stable 5 volt will mean slightly faster charging than one that drops to 4.5 volt.
The charger can supply 0.4A with about 0.6 volt drop in the charger, this can also be seen in the charge curves, it maintains nearly full charge current until the battery voltage is above 4.1 volt.

Temperature.png

M1: 27,5°C, M2: 26,1°C, M3: 27,2°C, HS1: 28,7°C
With only 0.5A charge current, there is not much heat in the charger. This is very good.

Poweron.png

The charger is a simple charger and does not need any time to initialize when power is turned on, it simply starts charger with 0.5A.

[SIZE=+2]Conclusion[/SIZE]

For a simple and light weight charger, this is a good charger.
The charge indication led may report finished before the battery is full, but it is usual only a few percent charge that will be missing.

[SIZE=+3]Notes[/SIZE]

The charger was supplied by XTAR for a review.

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the profusion of portable USB solar chargers these days, this charger would be perfect for those situations where you are off grid.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Given the profusion of portable USB solar chargers these days, this charger would be perfect for those situations where you are off grid.

And I believe that it will work fairly well with a solar panel. You will need something to secure the voltage is 5 volt or below, but periods without sun will not be a problem with this charger, i.e. you do not need a battery between the charger and the panel.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does fell solid. I would still be careful with the micro usb connector (I have not seen any problems with it).

Nice report and thanks,these industry standard mobile phone micro usb have caused problems with rough handling and mainly by women i have noted.;)

xiejol

Newly Enlightened
I've had this charger for a couple of weeks and it is a perfect backup charger for when I'm away from the house. Eventually I'll get a solar USB panel to use when I travel, but for now I've used it with computer USB ports and with standard USB chargers. It charged using both sources without any issues. The unit is well made. It feels sturdy and the thing I like the best is the nice strong spring that holds the batteries in place. I'm charging both my 16340s and 18650s and this thing holds onto them tightly. I got mine from an e-cigarette site for around $6.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, HKJ.

This looks great!

What do you think about using this with Amazon product B00E3OL5U8
which is the "Anker 14W Solar Panel" charger...?

It is only $60.00 and the only consistent negative I get from reading the reviews
is that it has no blocking diode. :-(

HKJ

Flashaholic
What do you think about using this with Amazon product B00E3OL5U8
which is the "Anker 14W Solar Panel" charger...?

It is only $60.00 and the only consistent negative I get from reading the reviews
is that it has no blocking diode. :-(

Blocking diode is not needed with this charger.

If the panel will give at least 0.5A in normal sunshine (I saw the 2A rating), and do not go significantly above 5V in very bright sunshine, it looks perfect for the charger.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent!

Is that because the charger itself will prevent current from flowing out,
at a maximum discharge of 25 uA from the battery?

Perfectionist

Enlightened
I've had this charger for a couple of weeks and it is a perfect backup charger for when I'm away from the house. Eventually I'll get a solar USB panel to use when I travel, but for now I've used it with computer USB ports and with standard USB chargers. It charged using both sources without any issues. The unit is well made. It feels sturdy and the thing I like the best is the nice strong spring that holds the batteries in place. I'm charging both my 16340s and 18650s and this thing holds onto them tightly. I got mine from an e-cigarette site for around $6.
$6 Cool! Which website did you buy from?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought I might add that I went ahead and got a couple of these chargers. For $6 each, why not buy two? Anyway, these chargers actually work quite well with USB solar panels, and are quite good for charging batteries in the wilderness. I have not yet tried using them with my Biolite Stove. But I would assume they would work with that as well. The one thing to keep in mind is that this charger is SLOOOOWWWWW! Half an amp just isn't much current for charging some of the higher capacity batteries available today. Even a 14500 takes around 1.5-2hrs to charge. Because of this, this charger is best used to top off batteries rather than charge dead ones - especially in the wilderness. And having two is actually a good idea since you can charge two batteries at a time (therefore cumulatively giving you more charge). But as far as I know, a faster USB Li-Ion charger (which could take advantage of, say, an iPad charger or a high power USB solar panel) doesn't exist. This charger seems to be quite well built and, given enough time, it gets the job done.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Great review HKJ! This is an inexpensive charger that can do the job to replenish the juice of our batteries.

bobstay

Newly Enlightened
Can you explain a bit more about the two parallel charging circuits?

I guess you mean that there are two separate charging chips inside which both feed into the battery, and the indicator LED is connected to only one of those charging chips. This would explain the early charge termination indication if one chip terminates slightly earlier than the other.

Is this correct?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Can you explain a bit more about the two parallel charging circuits?

I guess you mean that there are two separate charging chips inside which both feed into the battery, and the indicator LED is connected to only one of those charging chips. This would explain the early charge termination indication if one chip terminates slightly earlier than the other.

Is this correct?

That is exactly the way I expect it is working.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
xtardirect.com has these fine chargers but they seem to be popular and may be out of stock for a short time. I can confirm that it works with a 15 watt Goal Zero Boulder panel that has a USB output. I'd rather keep the charging amps at .5, believing it makes for a longer lasting cell. The last order I made was an additional MC1, a VC2 charger, and a Samsung 25R 18650. Shipping is reasonable and prices are competitive. (But they did not tell me that I would have to wait a few weeks to get restocked. Finally they sent a shipping notice. They did not respond to my query about the delay in shipping. My first two orders came quite quickly)

naked2

Enlightened
My USB power supply output is 1A; is it OK to use with this charger? If so, the charger still outputs .5A?