What lights are in your bug out bag?

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
What lights would you guys bring in an extreme emergency? Include lights, supplies, survival gear etc.
Just curious to see what people really value.

I'm taking tk75vn killer throw / d40avn, d25cvn.
42" Ronin katana, 12g shotgun, 9mm, machete, and several fixed blade knives, Crowbar.

Magnesium rod and striker, multitool, 4" metal bowl/pot, 50' nylon rope, 100' paracord.

Water, dried meals, condensed milk/ formula for my son.

First aid kit, antiseptic, medical tape, bandages.

This is all in a bag by my hallway just in case, minus the guns, and I have an empty bag to load up on food before leaving. After I had my son, I thought about all of this, and decided to be prepared for anything.
Does anyone have a kit, or if not, what would you throw in it?

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a UK member i am not familiar with a Bug out Bag,could you explain what it is and what it is for please.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a bag full of supplies in case you need to leave home and possibly survive for any period of time. It would include anything you think would aid in short or long term survival.
Your emergency supply bag.

ven

Flashaholic
WOW can i ask why you would need all that,is it in an earthquake zone or prone to any kind of natural disasters so to speak.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in the inner city of Baltimore, so nothing is out of the question. I have seen actual war between civilians and police on my back alley. You just never know if and when you'll need to be prepared for anything. These things may be the reason my family survives, and others won't. Be it natural disaster or whatever problem arrives.
Better have it and not need it........ I just never want something serious to happen, and because of not being prepared, I let my family down, by not protecting, or meeting their needs.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be mindful of topic drift.

A "Bug out Bag" also known as a "Bail Out Bag", more frequently referred to as a BOB. In some circles, similar to a "72-hour bag" or a "go bag".

Basically, the concept is a pre-packaged bag that someone can "grab and go", and be prepared to live for three days - possibly more- away from home. The usual supplies can be found: toiletries, change of clothes, flashlight or three, and so on.

On point, I have: a Surefire E2L-AA, E1L, G2 w/ M61LLL HCRI-2 drop-in, Fenix E11, Fenix E01, and a Fenix headlamp - HL22. A little overkill, I grant, but I like the overlap between commonly available battery types (AAA, AA) and CR123s. And all of them are geared towards long runtimes and reliability of flashier, brighter "tactical" lights.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually, I split up my gear into different containers or bags to adjust the bag depending on my needs and what I am allowed to carry in the area.
Survival Kit- One quart zip lock bag with: disposable handwarmers, Chlorine dioxide water purification tablets (can use quart bag as water container for purification in emergencies), Firesteel.com Gobspark Armageddon Firesteel, some bandaids and alcohol prep pads, 3 oz bottle of SPF 50 sunblock, 1 oz. spray bottle of near 100% DEET bug repellent, duct tape, chapstick, waterproof match case w/ 20 matches, backpacker's towel, handful of hard pepermints, coin cell flashlight, Storm whistle, and 2 Wetfire firestarters.
First Aid Kit- One quart bag full of first aid supplies (no designer kits).
Signaling Kit- One quart bag with Orion Aerial Flare, Road Flare, and Orange Smoke Signal.
Cooking Kit- Titanium pot with MSR Pocket Rocket Stove, MSR electric ignition, matches, Lexan spoon, and 2 Light My Fire Grandpa's Forks all nestled inside pot.
Butane canister for fuel.
Lighting kit- Fenix HL30 headlight, Quark QP2A XP-G2, Plenty of AA Eneloops, 4AA Powerfilm solar charger.
Shelter- Integral Designs Silponcho, 50+ feet of Kelty Striptease Guyline cord
Knife/Knives/Multitool- Usually a Light My Fire Fire Knife in the bag and a Victorinox One Hand Trekker and a Leatherman Core on my belt or in pockets. If I go off trails, I bring a 7 inch Kabar knife. Also carry a Pocket Pal knife sharpener.
Water purification- Sawyer Squeeze filter and/or Lifestraw (If I know in advance that this will be long term and will have to filter a lot of poor quality water, I'd bring a Katadyn Pocket filter with Carbon Cartridge and a Steripen as well).
Belt- Homemade 550 paracord belt- has 72 feet of cord, about 30 feet of Jute Twine sewn in for tinder and a firesteel toggle for lighting the Jute Twine.
Serious Firestarters- 3 inch cotton pads about 2/3 soaked with wax (can be lit with a spark and burn 6-10 minutes each)
2 1 liter Nalgene bottles filled with water.

This is the base kit excluding food (I bring food. I'm just not listing it.) It is kept light for a reason. If you need to get out of dodge, you don't want a heavy pack slowing you down and making you burn more calories. If I plan to be outside overnight, I'll add a sleeping bag, tent, extra clothes and food.

yearnslow

Enlightened
Because of where I live, and it's reputation for political instability, I have such a bag.
Contents:
Glock 17, surefire E2L AA outdoorsman, surefire LX2, Fenix TK60.

High energy food bars, water filtration unit, Firesteel and tinder, small aluminium cooking pot.
Comprehensive medical kit including, dental tools, sutures and needle, canula and hypodermics.
Broad spectrum Anti-biotics, codeine, paracetamol, electrolyte powders etc...to many other items to name.

A machete, Two fixed blades, Leatherman and a sharpener.
A small canopy made from the fly sheet of an old tent, rope, string, duct tape.
Magnifying glass, A hip flask of Brandy, cable ties, four lightsticks, lots of other things to numerous to mention......
$2000 Us dollars.

Could go on, but you get the idea......

kj2

Flashaholic
Fenix E11, HL30, Olight S15, Lumintop Tool AAA. But my bag has more of a EDC/ small emergency roll.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Fenx E11 (just because I have two of them); Fenix E01 / Olight i3s (because of the long run times) [all of these because of the common battery type]

I thought the topic was about lights only, but if not, then...:

- cash
- a little gold & silver just in case
- a spare phone with a charger (though who knows if there's gonna be electricity)
- an empty pocket for my netbook and charger...

Basically not much, but mine isn't a disaster - prone area... I mean, we did have a freaking strong earthquake here two years ago and it happened at 3 a.m. ... but even then all those prepper things weren't necessary. Didn't need even a single flashlight.. weird stuff.

dss_777

Enlightened
I wonder what the folks on the anvil collecting forum pack in their BOBs?

It'd be tough! You'd already have your EDC anvil, but would have to add your "big" anvil, just-in-case. Then, you'd need those "cheap" anvils to pass out to people who weren't smart enough to bring their own. And, of course, the "back-up" anvil... because "two is one, one is none".

Sometimes I envy the feather collectors...

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol I just got an anvil too. My mailman now hates me :p

Mines more of a home anvil. The travel edc ones are too pricey

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll admit to having a bizarre mentality/philosophy on preparedness. Nearly every sport/recreation/hobby I enjoy has significant secondary value in preparedness, however, I do next to nothing which has preparedness as a primary motive - eg, I have very little in food/fuel/water stores, and will not pack a BOB.

I'm a gearhead into camping (backpacking & RV), projectile target sports, motorcycles, and all forms of human-powered transport, with a weird fetish for folding/collapsable/portable stuff (like boats and bikes). It might take me a few of hours at home, but I could assemble some wicked good BOBs and BOVs for most situations, but otherwise, everything is "prepped" for recreational use only.

With regard to flashlights, my SHTF priorities are same as for camping - low lumens, massive runtimes, durability, user-serviceability, and common cells w/broad battery versatility. A lego'd Quark QPA-X best meets my needs and will run common AA/AAAs/9Vs and anything between CR123s and 18650s with the piece of tinfoil I EDC in a wallet. Maybe add in a QB2A for S&R, backup, and parts redundancy :).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be mindful of topic drift.

A "Bug out Bag" also known as a "Bail Out Bag", more frequently referred to as a BOB. In some circles, similar to a "72-hour bag" or a "go bag".

Basically, the concept is a pre-packaged bag that someone can "grab and go", and be prepared to live for three days - possibly more- away from home. The usual supplies can be found: toiletries, change of clothes, flashlight or three, and so on.

On point, I have: a Surefire E2L-AA, E1L, G2 w/ M61LLL HCRI-2 drop-in, Fenix E11, Fenix E01, and a Fenix headlamp - HL22. A little overkill, I grant, but I like the overlap between commonly available battery types (AAA, AA) and CR123s. And all of them are geared towards long runtimes and reliability of flashier, brighter "tactical" lights.

The op was kind enough to supply another member(s) with what a BOB is and no way was this topic drift far from it as he has given me an idea to consider for myself and i would think carefully what light i would put into mine.:p

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I wonder what the folks on the anvil collecting forum pack in their BOBs?

It'd be tough! You'd already have your EDC anvil, but would have to add your "big" anvil, just-in-case. Then, you'd need those "cheap" anvils to pass out to people who weren't smart enough to bring their own. And, of course, the "back-up" anvil... because "two is one, one is none".

Sometimes I envy the feather collectors...

This has got to be one of the best responses I've ever read. Now we know what we sound like to non-flashaholics!

My BOB has a Maglite Mini Pro+ and a Safelight Handyman, plus some spare lithiums. May not sound like much, but if we don't shelter in place during a natural disaster we'll go by car (can't really walk anywhere because we'd be taking my mother-in-law). The car has a Foursevens Quark Turbo QB2A, a Rayovac Indestructible and a Spark SG5 headlamp, plus spare lithiums. My wife and I each EDC Quark QTAs and Peak Eigers, so we're well prepared with lighting.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The three things in this pic in my bag are the G23(right) the Kroma(also right) and the JK knife(front)

wjv

Enlightened
No BoB but I do have a Get-Home bag

all the typical stuff.

Between my get Home bag and the car trunk
Food, water, heat sheets, meds, first-aid, knife, water filter straws, tea bags, metal cups, sugar, solid fuel stove, cord, tarp & tent stakes, compass, map of county, Razor A5 Lux scooter (see photo), a disease contamination kit.

Pistol & ammo (have a CCW permit)

Fenix E11 + a 12 pack of AA cells

I also always have my EagleTac D25A clicky with me.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am slowly building one. Right now I have a 10 Ah portable battery for recharging my phone & tablet, my EA4W, and some odds and ends. I plan on getting a 14 watt solar panel to recharge the battery. I'm also looking at some energy bars, some survival chocolate (gotta have my chocolate), some first aid stuff, fire starter, pocket knife, water purifier. I am fortunate in that I don't HAVE to have my meds, but most are pills so I can just grab and stuff on the way out the door. My coat and a couple of liter water bottles I keep filled in the fridge, and away I go.

Oh, I EDC my Streamlight ProTac EMS, so that is always with me. I have a Photon II on the zipper of my coat, and my TM11 and Seraph 6 are on the way out the door.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Other than my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp running off of 3AAAs, I've decided to standardize on AA batteries for the rest of the lights in my BOB.

Maratac AA Stainless Steel model (older version) from County Comm as my main light in my BOB.

Next is a 2AA Enercell LED model with side switch from Radio Shack. Bought as an inexpensive light that can get the job done as an improvised Kubaton (carried in an open-top, outer, pouch in my BOB). And is cheap enough that I can hand it off to someone who might be traveling with me, and needs a good light. Simple click on and off U.I.

Also have one glow-stick as well as an advanced "glow-stick." Runs off of coin cells, has a button side switch. 3 LEDs at one end. Glow-stick body with a flasher mode. Very cheaply done, but works. (Not a fan of ordinary glow-sticks.) Yes, you can replace the coin cells in it. But not really worth doing so considering how cheap the advanced glow-sticks are.

Now that's not including my main light that I EDC. (Most of the time my Milky modded SureFire L1 that pumps out 40 lumens on "low," and 200+ on high mode. All out the front lumens numbers.) Plus my keychain light. (Usually a quality single-AAA model. Got a handful of those.) And usually a cheap single LED coin-cell light (squeeze type, promotional, variety [often Lighthound branded one]). The coin-cell light is to hand out to a stranger during an emergency if they need a decent light. (If there's a Blackout inside a subway car or loss of power, assuming it's not packed as Hell and a fight over the light won't break out, a tiny LED light puts out a useful level of output in such a situation.)

So, I'm good. ;)

Last edited: