IKEA Leadare 600lm LED Bulb, 2014 Version

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
A look at the 2014 version of this bulb. IKEA continues to dance to the beat of a different drummer...

It has a strange light distribution, not sure why anyone would want such a pattern?

Poor efficiency... is that a side effect of a diffuser, or just overall poor implementation?

This bulb does well with a "LED" Dimmer... much better than my older pre-LED/CFL unit.

Was finally able to take my enclosed-light test fixture out for a spin... a pretty serious temperature rise which would suggest the lifetime of bulb could be shortened by two orders of magnitude?

Video at this link:

wws944

Enlightened
Thank you again for a most informative video. It was interesting that they used 125 degree capacitors. The dimming also seemed impressive.

The Ikea web site shows it priced at $7.49 (USD). At that price it seems like a pretty good value - assuming the light distribution works out for the intended socket.

skyled

Newly Enlightened
Great review as always. Thanks for doing these.$8 for 600 lumens is a good deal. That light pattern is a deal breaker though.

inetdog

Enlightened
I could see that light pattern maybe working well in an old fashion pendant lamp where the side beam would hit the reflector and be converted to a broad spill which would fill in around the center spot.
In a fixture, table lamp with shade, or a lamp designed for a reflector type bulb the results would be horrible in terms of useful light output.
Perhaps IKEA sells some lamps that they look good in?

JCup

Newly Enlightened
Great review as always. Thanks for doing these.$8 for 600 lumens is a good deal. That light pattern is a deal breaker though.

IKEA had a 50% price reduction for a few days ending 2/16/15.
I bought an updated version of the "60W" A19 (LED1339G10 stock number 202.662.25) for $2.24 each
This one claims to be 600 lumens @9.5W, no mention about being dimmable.

They also had the two unit package of the 400 lumen A19, 6.3W (LED1333G7 602.909.78) for $3.49.

The prize was the PAR30 lamp, 750 lumen 13W (LED1313R12) with a 40 degree pattern for $6.49 each. I got ten of them, and they seem to replace the R40 CFL lamps in my ceiling can fixtures quite nicely. This lamp has an integral aluminum finned heat sink, and they show the rated life as 25,000 hrs.

I read the excellent review here afterwards. At these prices, the compromise in efficiency and even in lifetime seems a good tradeoff compared to my CFL A19 and R40 lamps - many of which have only lasted a few years with rather poor color rendition.

The teardown by electron update is very interesting. I'm in the business of electronics manufacturing, and what I see in those videos is quite crude. There is the problem of having to put a decent DC power supply into the neck of an A19 bulb. At some point, you'd expect to see complete table lamps and fixtures designed with integral power supplies - eventually DC power distribution in houses to permit much better designs for lighting.