a Tale of Four Malkoffs (with pics)

WebHobbit

Enlightened
So here are my three main lights:

m3.jpg

Full size image: http://lrpctech.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/m3.jpg

From left to right:

Surefire 9P host (3 CR123a) with Cryos Cooling Bezel head, Malkoff M91 [500 lumen] drop-in and Moddoolar Triad Tail (w/McClicky) - this is my "out-door/wilderness lighter"

Surefire 9P host (3 CR123a) with Malkoff M61L [175 lumen] drop-in and Moddoolar Triad Tail (w/McClicky) - this is my "house-light"

Surefire 6P host (2 CR123a) with Malkoff M61 [260 lumen] drop-in and Moddoolar Triad Tail (w/McClicky & stainless pocket clip) - this is my EDC

m2.jpg

http://lrpctech.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/m2.jpg

m1.jpg

Full size image: http://lrpctech.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/m1.jpg

I'm thinking about buying the M91a (825 lumen) and moving it into the 9P with the Cryos Head...then moving the old M91 to the other 9P. This will leave the M61L "homeless". I've looked around and there doesn't seem to be a better deal to be had for an inexpensive yet high quality P60 host than an "empty" Malkoff MD2. So I'm considering ordering one of those ($63.00) to put the M61L in and it becomes my new "House Light". What do you guys think?

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire and Malkoff! Good stuff! Nice tail caps too!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really nice set ups.

The MD2 is a nice home for M61L. You can consider running this with an 18650 li-ion for more runtime (after it drops out of regulation). You can also consider adding the hi/lo ring for a little more flexibility and runtime on lo.

I also thought of a VME head and a Vital Gear FB! or FB2 body. About the same money and just a little smaller. A different feel, if that interests you.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
One possibility could also be to put the M61L in a G2.
Sometimes it's nice to have a light weight flashlight, easy on your teeth in case you need to hold it in your mouth.
(Yeah, I know there are headlamps also but I still hold my lights that way occasionally.)
And no worry to scratch up, just a reliable beater light with good runtime.

But the MD2 also sounds very good.
And those lights look great!

flashlight nut

Enlightened
You might also want to consider that Gene has blemished parts which can knock about $10.00 off the price of a full host and has the M61 on sale for $39.99.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Beautiful lights! The M91 and M61L IMHO are some of the most practical "bright" dropins Malkoff made. I had an M91A and sold it because the slight increase in output was not worth the decrease in runtime for me.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61L will work fine in a all-Nitrolon G2,right?

(Mine's a old-school G2,from before the switch to the metal heads.)

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi WebHobbit!

Terrific Trio of Triad Tails!

Erm... Yup, AMD64Blondie... M61Ls will work fine on Nitrolon G2s.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried M91, I didn't like it. No throw at all and while very bright, feels like you are holding a regular household bulb in your hand. Gene made the first ever M91N for me, it's still floating somewhere out there in cpf-land.

My Malkoff battery consists of M61 SHO, (much superior to M91, I think), M60L (as in olde "sixty"), an amazing light I've had for years, and "regular" M61 and also M61LLL that's my new all time favorite.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been seeing SF 6Ps on eBay for around 50. Unless you're going to put a high/low ring in the MD2, I'd use a 6P.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Well yes but the MD2 comes with a McClicky. Also I am still contemplating switching to 18650 rechargeables and it's already sized for that. A lot to consider!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yes but the MD2 comes with a McClicky. Also I am still contemplating switching to 18650 rechargeables and it's already sized for that. A lot to consider!

True! If you want out of the box click switch and 18650 compatibility, then the MD2 is your huckleberry.

Nice collection of SF/Malkoffs, BTW...

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Yes that is the less $$ route for a host, also with tailstanding capability, but a Surefire 6P sure has a nice balance to it. MD2's are well made but also have rather heavy bezels and knurling thats not as grippy. Just another angle. I have both.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I tried M91, I didn't like it. No throw at all and while very bright, feels like you are holding a regular household bulb in your hand. Gene made the first ever M91N for me, it's still floating somewhere out there in cpf-land.

My Malkoff battery consists of M61 SHO, (much superior to M91, I think), M60L (as in olde "sixty"), an amazing light I've had for years, and "regular" M61 and also M61LLL that's my new all time favorite.

M91 is definitely a flood light. The M91A even more so since the extra lumens seem to be mostly in the spill (well, according to my poor eyes! :) )