What do I have here? Just more Ultrafire crap?

KC117

Newly Enlightened
I got this Ultrafire 18650 battery with a flashlight I ordered from DX.com. And after doing some reading, I learned that Ultrafire is crap. So I decided to not use this battery. So I took the wrapping off and this is what I found....

So what do I have here?

I also have two Trustfire 2400mAh 18650's laying around, should I not use those also?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Nismo stickers that give your car an extra 10 HP were awesome... the red wrapping gives it 600 extra mAh!

ven

Flashaholic
Well i would say unbelievable...............but its not,nothing surprises me these days,more so with ******fire cells.

2 options reg trust fire cells,test and see,some use issue free ...........up to you,i have a couple of fire cells and been issue free.

Or recycle ,best advice is good cells,decent brand,reputable seller,if multi cell light get protected,if single cell up to you.I use both protected and unprotected cells in single cell lights,only good brands ,i use sanyo,panasonic,xtar,samsung,nitecore,jetbeam,keeppower,efest,mnke,kinoko,just for example.For multi cell lights i use same,no mixing cells.........

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen 18650, that had 16340 Inside it!
I research this and found they are counterfeit cells.
Some don't even have a 16340 inside. It's just a pack of chemicals acting as a very unstable cell. Hard to believe someone would counterfeit batteries.

Most cells with "fire" in the name are crap.

ven

Flashaholic
Most cells with "fire" in the name are crap.

+1

Trouble to is some lights(not always cheap ones i may add) but depending on seller will ship a cheapo fire charger and 2 cells with it.The unwise consumer then uses the cells provided thinking no issue.........some lucky,some not.................only education will eradicate the crap,wont happen over night,if at all unfortunately........

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if that's what the light came with, an uneducated buyer will seek those cells for replacement or backup.

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two ultrafire batteries that came with a zoomable ultrafire special and they have been working fine, so far."So Far" being the keywords.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only ultrafires I have left are 3 16340 and they won't run my d25cvn for 5 minutes.
They are about to go in the box o' junk for any slim chance I find a use for them.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The only ultrafires I have left are 3 16340 and they won't run my d25cvn for 5 minutes.
They are about to go in the box o' junk for any slim chance I find a use for them.

They're useful for starting fires.

:D

The counterfeiting of cells is a real issue, more dangerous than the ubiquitous "ebay lumens" scams. And those scam cells out there are not JUST 2,400 mah cells with 4,000 mah overwraps, they include old lap top cells, random batteries inside sleeves, and such varied internal resistances and fake pcb protection, etc, as to be truly dangerous.

:poof:fire cells are really not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

In the pics, you show a uniquefire cell, recycled, and then sold as an ultrafire 2,400 mah cell, and then recycled yet again as an ultrafire 3,000 mah cell. If you had not caught it, the cell might have one day been reincarnated as a 10,000 mah cell.

:D

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah the ones I saw were 16340 inside a 18650 sleeve, and one looked like one of those anti moisture packets(in black) inside a 18650 somehow acting as a cell. And you can't even complain to the distributor to much success, because they will just send you up the ladder from where they got them from, then where THEY got them from, and so on.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
just another of many reasons to buy reputable cells like AW's. Not to laugh at your misfortune but when I saw the second pic of the blue wrapper's MAH rating I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

ven

Flashaholic
Right as we know there are that many variations,copies of copies of copies so its just easier to advise to stay away,yes 50% of the cells maybe spot on,issue free,but its a risk.............not worth taking.I know vinh uses some fire cells,issue free for example.I have in passed issue free,still after looking into it,being educated does not build confidence,if i dont have confidence............well i wont use simple!!!

Now here is my bad boys

Now the cells above have been used,not sure how many charges but around the 30-40 used in a vv mod.....
I now use 18650 samsung/sanyo/pany cells in my mods,vv odyssey,evic to name just 2..........but thats by the by

I used to use the above cells in the Zmax .........

The above fire cells or as i call them "the ones with fire on"(not exact just what i call them,more like lightning) i have found fine,but maybe copies out there....dont know,wont buy any more from what i now know.

Maybe i am lucky,maybe they are actually good and from my personal experience with those cells they are good or have been in my use.

I can buy better,know they are better,have more confidence in them............no bainer!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
After a certain point, it might say its butter, but, it might be imitation margarine.