pizeotg

tharg

Newly Enlightened
hay guys in my search for a lacthing circuit for a pizeo switch .I contacted taskled .and he was nice enough to not only take time to figure it out he going to start selling them on his web site calling it a pizeotg board so if anybody is interested go check out his site..ill be using one for my new build for sure.

an George if your on this fourm thanks again!!!!

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha :) Haven't visited CPF for several weeks and was thinking to post up the piezotg board in the dive section and you beat me to it :)

Anyhow, everyone loves pictures, so here's the picture of #1 piezotg board.

piezotg1.jpg

Basically takes a piezo switch and turns it into a toggle action. The circuit guarantees to always power up (when battery is first connected) in the 'off' state. Runs from 3 to 25V and draws about 20uA when no switch action is present. It has active filtering to ignore any piezo switch microphonic effects (such as tapping on the switch or if the switch/light assembly is dropped etc.

The LED- in the picture is the GND switched output. Current rating allows switching at least 10A.

It behaves like a halltg board except interfaces to a user supplied piezo switch rather than having an onboard hall sensor.

Note the piezo switch needs to be a switch not a 'bare' piezo disc/transducer. i.e. the piezo switch needs to be the type that has the self powered internal electronics that generates a momentary closed circuit across its 2 pins when pressed.

Of course the piezotg can also be wired to a standard (normally open) momentary action switch as well.

Hopefully it is of use to some of you folk. I've put up a preliminary product and technical description on my website.

cheers,
george.

Codiak

Enlightened
Woohoo a production piezo latching circuit!

I was getting bored with multi level anyway ;-)

cummings66

Newly Enlightened
I have a question about the pizeo switch that is to be used with this. Currrently I use the taskled magnetic latching circuit which I love, yet I've been thinking about the pizeo switch to get away from the magnet. I wonder if a pizeo switch will work if the lid is 1/4" or 1/2" thick?

So, can it be done and with what hardware would I want to do it with?

I'm just being lazy, I could turn the lid on my lathe and make it thinner but I'd rather not. The idea is to swap out the taskled hall switch for a pizeo switch with this latch circuit.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
The piezo switch is something YOU provide, so it has to go through the body of the light (drill hole, provide o-ring seal etc). The piezotg board then has 2 wires that YOU solder to your piezo switch.

The hallsw and halltg boards are a better solution if you are a) happy with magnetic switching and b) don't want to drill a hole through the housing.

cheers,
george.

Latest posts