FAMI EVO 50 S

rodex99

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have a Fa Mi 50 S which needs at least a new set of batteries and maybe a make over with new LED's.
Anybody taken one of these apart?
The lamp end unscrews from the battery end in the middle, but that is as far as I have got.

cheers
Rod

jspeybro

Enlightened
on the bad pictures I can quickly find, there seems to be an o-ring in front of the glass. if you take it out, the glass will come out to the front.

rodex99

Newly Enlightened
Well I took a chance and put it in the vice and managed to screw off the back plug. From there I was able to pull out and unsolder the rechargable battery pack,(5x AA NiMH) so replacing it will not be too hard.
Looking at an old add they say each of the four LEDs are 3W, maybe luxion? giving 480 lumen?
I guess some up-to-date Cree's could double that, think it would be worth the effort?
Or I could put in a pack of Li-ions ?
Rod

jspeybro

Enlightened
just replacing the LEDs by something like a cree XP-G2 should already boost the output a bit. I would need to compare datasheets to get an idea how much.
The optics may however not work with other LEDs than the original LEDs.
You'll need to play a bit with it i guess.

garytrogers

Newly Enlightened
Hi I've just changed the batteries. You unscrew the base of the handle where the lanyard connects. It takes some elbow grease. The 4x AA batteries are in a cradle inside the handle.

Olor1973

Newly Enlightened
On the bad pictures I can quickly find, there seems to be an o-ring in front of the glass. if you take it out, the glass will come out to the front.

rodex99

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to go for the full refit with Li-ions and a XML. Exactly how I do it will depend on what I find when I get it apart, I have got the bottom plug out and separated the light head from the body. The switch/driver was retained by two small oblique hex head grub screws and removed easily enough revealing a reed switch and relay. Plenty of room for a Hall effect replacement.
The problem is the light head. The power is transmitted by a co-axial type plug/socket. The groove which looked like a joint for a bezel proved to be a decorative feature and as noted above everything is held in by an o-ring which holds the lens in. However once removed nothing budges!! An old post on a Sub-Seac suggests that as-well as the ring I have removed, and the one I can see under it, there is a third ring round the edge of the lens which is holding it it. The final solution seemed to be driving it out with a lump hammer and a wooden mandrel. I will give it a go- but will I get it back together?

rodex99

Newly Enlightened
Trying to push or hammer it out would have been a bad idea. I removed one of the charging plugs and replaced it with an old car valve, pumped it up with a floor bike pump and it was 40psi before it popped.

rodex99

Newly Enlightened
For the record I ended up just replacing the batteries. The biggest Li-ion I could have got in would have been a 25500 and the biggest drop in a 25mm unit. A whole lot of work to make an expensive torch no better than a £10 Chinese torch off ebay. Everything else was just a mm too big.Rod