Mag 5watt vs Mag LuxIII

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to make a long throwing LS Mag, but I cant decide what to use as a host. Can someone post some outdoor beamshots of these two configs:

Mag 2C:
- 3x123 - 5watter (Smaller size, less runtime, more light)

Mag 2D:
- 3xC - 3watter (Heavier, much longer runtime, tighter beam)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I saw, the 5 watt will throw a bigger sized (but less intense) hotspot to quite a distance. The Lux3 will throw a smaller size (1/2 in diameter or so) but more intense hotspot furthur. Lemme see if I can dig it up somewhere...

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I just ordered the Hotlips 'D' adapter from hotbeam. It has just dawned on me however, that I am unclear about what optics to use. Will you be using the standard Mag reflector or using something like a Fraen or NX05?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
BTW not to go OT so let me say that if I had to choose one light, it would be the 5W. It throws fully far enough away that the Lux3 light becomes redundant. The Lux3 really will superimpose its beam over the 5W's, but it is a relatively tiny pinpoint of light and you would have to "move it around" to see the complete picture you are trying to make out. As well in such situations (illuminating distant objects) you are usually in circumstances that force you to be carrying the light, and the 5W in Mag 2C carries *much* much easily, not to mention the significantly lighter weight. I usually stick it tube-end-first into my back pocket. Try that sometime with a Mag 3D...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he said, (Mr. BULK, I mean)!

Just received my Space Needle II from him, and in the words of my 14 year, "That thing rocks!!". A blinding beam even on a bright sunny winter day.

I'm able to see the beam on a wall at 30 feet even in full sunlight! No other LED I've seen is even close!!

The man knows whereof he speaks when it comes to 5 watt and 3 watt luxeons.

Bill

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
My mod that gets the most "WOW" factor is a 2C/5W/3x123 running at approx 1 amp (1/2ohm res). Unless you need the "Mono-furcated motivator" capacity of the 2 or 3D Mag the 2C is by far the handyest.

Lucien

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
BTW not to go OT so let me say that if I had to choose one light, it would be the 5W. It throws fully far enough away that the Lux3 light becomes redundant. The Lux3 really will superimpose its beam over the 5W's, but it is a relatively tiny pinpoint of light and you would have to "move it around" to see the complete picture you are trying to make out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly there seems to be a shortage of good 5W LS at the moment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif 3W ones are easier to get, probably in part to their lower price. I'm hoping this next year will be better on the 5W front.

PeterW

Enlightened
There are few lights of any type that can touch the SpaceNeedle. I have recently got a Mag belt-holder for mine, as it is a wee bit big for pockets. Keep hunting for a good 5W and do as Charlie says.... the 5W in a mag reflector sets the STANDARD!

Good luck finding the 5W !

PEterW

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
MTFD17, I don't have any beamshots to offer you, but I do have at least one of each type of light. You can think of it this way: both throw about the same distance, but the 3W is like a 5W beam with most of the spill removed.

Put a different way, I can easily illuminate the far fence post on my property with both lights, but the 5W also lights most of the lawn that's between me and that fence post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another advantage of the 5W is the fact that, if you remove the reflector, you get a beautiful area light that illumnitates a 180 degree swath to about 20-30 feet out. The 3W w/o a reflector will illuminate in the same manner, it will only be about 10 feet out.

Latest posts