Bad idea, smashing a Samsung Galaxy phone with a sledge hammer...

JohnSmith

Enlightened
It is common for people to abuse the latest and greatest technological device and post the results online as attention seeking behavior. It's often occurred to me how dangerous this type of stunt is, as the average person doesn't understand how dangerous lithium-ion batteries can be. This poor dumb ******* is getting a lung full of hydrofluoric acid fumes, and he's being cheeky and requesting Febreeze. I love lithium-ion batteries, and the devices that run on them, but they definitely need respect and the average Joe just doesn't understand that.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my thought exactly. The guy is asking for air freshener and he has no clue that he's probably going to have lung problems for the rest of his life.

Chris

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair, the warning label on the battery only shows that you shouldn't poke it with a screwdriver

TV Voiceover: Warning, tickets should not be taken internally.
Homer Simpson: See, because of me, now they have a warning.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It kills me to see a perfectly good device like that turned into a pile of junk. At the very least he should reserve the destructive testing for devices which no longer function.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone at work sent me this video about a week ago. What a Dumb ***!

The pure silence between 3:48 - 3:53 followed by him coughing from the Lithium fumes just made me ROFLMFAO! What a total dumb *** - he does deserve a Darwin Award.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pure silence between 3:48 - 3:53 followed by him coughing from the Lithium fumes just made me ROFLMFAO! What a total dumb *** - he does deserve a Darwin Award.

Darwin Awards are reserved for those who either die, or otherwise remove themselves from the gene pool (castration works just as well). This does not qualify. That said, an Honorable Mention is in order. Striking the battery directly, without even the limited protection of the phone casing, is asking for trouble. There is a reason for the warnings about puncturing, burning, and generally abusing batteries.

N_N_R

Enlightened
:crackup:Why did he even upload that... I bet he still thinks he's cool.

P.S. Some people don't value hard-earned cash or work... (that's what all these destructive videos make me think, be it the latest piece of technology speaking of electronic devices or flashlights or something else.)

Etsu

Enlightened
Why did he even upload that... I bet he still thinks he's cool.

Because he just wasted a few hundred dollars of daddy's money wrecking his new gadget, so he may as well brag to the world about it.

I really don't have a problem with income inequality. It just when rich boys waste money like that, perhaps they should get an additional stupid tax placed on them that goes to poorer families.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't have a problem with income inequality. It just when rich boys waste money like that, perhaps they should get an additional stupid tax placed on them that goes to poorer families.

Granted this video was particularly stupid...not really useful consumer advice. Drop tests, sure, but taking a sledge to a phone is not exactly a real world test.

That aside, I have no problem with people testing something to destruction. I don't feel like others should tell me how to spend my money (for example, a lot of people think I'm crazy to have the collection of lights that I do). Therefore, I think I should not presume to tell anyone else how to spend their money.

Your response (assuming that he is an entitled child of a wealthy parent) seems to reveal a prejudice against him, despite your disclaimer. It may be true, but I don't think you can be sure of that just because of that video. Your reaction tells us more about you than it does about the author of the video.

Conte

Enlightened
I see, this device has built in countermeasures.

"We're under attack! Deploy flares!"

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Now, thanks to this video - everyone will finally learn to respect the batteries, especially the ones inside RAZR series (I have RAZR M, and there is no hard cover protecting the Lithium-Polymer battery, but rather covered by Kevlar skin that's part of lower Aluminum case halve). Gorilla glass did impressed me though.

Yet, that's still a viable test because sometimes phone land face down (remember the controversial Schrödinger's cat topics?). So, there is good chance of display shattering. Warranty time.

P. S. Battery can be abused by varieties of ways, one being roasted alive by being close to the superscalar out-of-order ARM processors being maxed out by hungry apps. That's why I had to install battery / CPU temperature monitoring app to be sure.

Last edited:

XxMerlinxX

Newly Enlightened
:crackup:Why did he even upload that... I bet he still thinks he's cool.

P.S. Some people don't value hard-earned cash or work... (that's what all these destructive videos make me think, be it the latest piece of technology speaking of electronic devices or flashlights or something else.)

Or more than likely he did it because he's part of Youtube's cash for views program. Not sure what they're paying these days, but over 1 Million views probably gets you a decent bit of coin.

weegidy

Newly Enlightened
I had a lipo explode on me once. A large 4Ah cell. I had it out side in under 3 seconds. Then after the battery had completely vented I opened every door in the house for a good 2 hours to let it air out.

This guy was asking for more chemicals to spray in the air now full of battery fumes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The fumes from the battery are toxic.... And he breathed them in. :shakehead