Spotlight to scare off birds?

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
Lots of very irritating birds wake me up in the early morning hours and I've thought about using a laser pointer to try scaring them away from the area, but they are pretty expensive. So now I'm wondering if a spotlight could do the trick. But how bright would it have to be to be effective in daylight? I have a Cree 3 Watt spotlight that puts out 220 lumens which doesn't seem to have the desired effect.

Any ideas on what I would need? Has anyone here tried it?

markr6

Flashaholic
Never tried a light...that would have to be very bright during the day. But I'll comment on the laser. I purchased a (edit) "5 milliwatt" green laser from ebay for about $25. Runs on one 18650 and it is BRIGHT! There were about 15 black birds in the field behind my house, a few robins too. It didn't really seem to scare them even when I was moving it quickly all around them. The most they did was a few hops.

Last edited:

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
Never tried a light...that would have to be very bright during the day. But I'll comment on the laser. I purchased a "5 watt" green laser from ebay for about $25. Runs on one 18650 and it is BRIGHT! There were about 15 black birds in the field behind my house, a few robins too. It didn't really seem to scare them even when I was moving it quickly all around them. The most they did was a few hops.

Wow! I didn't know there were any 5 watt lasers for that price. Very surprised it didn't have much effect too, especially at that level.

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow! I didn't know there were any 5 watt lasers for that price. Very surprised it didn't have much effect too, especially at that level.

Oh I meant 5mw. But I'm sure it's more than that...not a very strict control on them I hear

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Airports have a lot of trouble keeping birds away. The most effective way is to hire someone to chase them, shoot them all, or poison them. They seem to adjust to lights, horns, cannons, lasers, and nets.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
On the DEFTX thread, one purchase was SPECIFICALLY to keep geese off of a lake, and, it is reported that it worked great for that.

The DEFTX is a rather bright light (High cd), so, its noticeable in broad daylight....and ~ $800 or so.

The birds that migrate (Geese for example) are more easily spooked. Birds that may be return visitors (They hang around for the season, etc...), will need a negative event to associate with the light, noise, or whatever....otherwise, they learn that nothing bad happens when the stimuli is presented, and they start to ignore it. Same for squirrels, etc.

As for your 3 watt Cree, with 220 lumens, its not about lumens, its about the lux (cd) of the light. The lux is what is perceived as glare, and which can startle the birds. The higher a light's cd, the more startling it will be.

The issue, again, is that you can only startle the same bird a few times before it realizes nothing is associated with the flash, and it ignores it.

You could get a softair gun, which fires plastic BB's that sting but are not deadly, even to a bird unless perhaps an unlucky shot really really close. That can work well, as the sting IS a negative association...and, once stung, they will merely SEE the gun, and run for cover. (Blinding one in one eye is of course a potential problem if that sort of thing bothers you...)

The projected problem is that these means only provide revenge/reactive relief...as you STILL need to wake up and scare them off...and, they then learn they can come back after you close the window again, etc.

An airgun (Pellet for example) that fires a high speed round designed to kill rather than chase off, the critters is a plan, albeit one which is frowned on in some communities, depending upon your neighbor's proximity/projected reaction to that sort of thing.

There are also small cross bows, blow guns, etc....same idea.

In short, w/o getting a wee bit ridiculous, its better to invest in sound deadening measures (Ear muffs, etc) than weaponry in these scenarios, if sleep, rather than revenge, is your objective.

:whistle::whistle::tired::whistle::whistle:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of very irritating birds wake me up in the early morning hours and I've thought about using a laser pointer to try scaring them away from the area, but they are pretty expensive. So now I'm wondering if a spotlight could do the trick. But how bright would it have to be to be effective in daylight? I have a Cree 3 Watt spotlight that puts out 220 lumens which doesn't seem to have the desired effect.

Any ideas on what I would need? Has anyone here tried it?

It is called nature chap and before trying anything you would be well advised to find out what birds are bothering you as you maybe be leading yourself into trouble.The use of a laser pointer could land you in very serious hot water as the police do not take kindly to those at all as there primary use are for inside presentations.Your spotlight idea could also land you in trouble as well.

Best you move.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It is called nature chap and before trying anything you would be well advised to find out what birds are bothering you as you maybe be leading yourself into trouble.The use of a laser pointer could land you in very serious hot water as the police do not take kindly to those at all as there primary use are for inside presentations.Your spotlight idea could also land you in trouble as well.

Best you move.

I bet if you hung out by the tree for him, the birds would go somewhere else.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the DEFTX thread, one purchase was SPECIFICALLY to keep geese off of a lake, and, it is reported that it worked great for that.

The DEFTX is a rather bright light (High cd), so, its noticeable in broad daylight....and ~ $800 or so.

The birds that migrate (Geese for example) are more easily spooked. Birds that may be return visitors (They hang around for the season, etc...), will need a negative event to associate with the light, noise, or whatever....otherwise, they learn that nothing bad happens when the stimuli is presented, and they start to ignore it. Same for squirrels, etc.

As for your 3 watt Cree, with 220 lumens, its not about lumens, its about the lux (cd) of the light. The lux is what is perceived as glare, and which can startle the birds. The higher a light's cd, the more startling it will be.

The issue, again, is that you can only startle the same bird a few times before it realizes nothing is associated with the flash, and it ignores it.

You could get a softair gun, which fires plastic BB's that sting but are not deadly, even to a bird unless perhaps an unlucky shot really really close. That can work well, as the sting IS a negative association...and, once stung, they will merely SEE the gun, and run for cover. (Blinding one in one eye is of course a potential problem if that sort of thing bothers you...)

The projected problem is that these means only provide revenge/reactive relief...as you STILL need to wake up and scare them off...and, they then learn they can come back after you close the window again, etc.

An airgun (Pellet for example) that fires a high speed round designed to kill rather than chase off, the critters is a plan, albeit one which is frowned on in some communities, depending upon your neighbor's proximity/projected reaction to that sort of thing.

There are also small cross bows, blow guns, etc....same idea.

In short, w/o getting a wee bit ridiculous, its better to invest in sound deadening measures (Ear muffs, etc) than weaponry in these scenarios, if sleep, rather than revenge, is your objective.

:whistle::whistle::tired::whistle::whistle:

In the UK your advice would land the op in severe difficulties and more than likely a prison term.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
In the UK your advice would land the op in severe difficulties and more than likely a prison term.

LOL

My advice (Real part) was sound deadening....England must be REALLY strict.

NO WONDER you're so grumpy all the time.

:D

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a mock up predator (like an owl or hawk) rather than some complicated electronic device that could be expensive and yield little/no result or a weapon, any of which could lead to criminal charges. Natural predators are normally very effective.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL

My advice (Real part) was sound deadening....England must be REALLY strict.

NO WONDER you're so grumpy all the time.

I am not grumpy i suffer from old age syndrome and time is short so rather than back slap i get straight to the point,some hate it and some enjoy my banter and i am no different on any other forums.You really would enjoy to come shopping with me for sure. :D

I would suggest a mock up predator (like an owl or hawk) rather than some complicated electronic device that could be expensive and yield little/no result or a weapon, any of which could lead to criminal charges. Natural predators are normally very effective.

Please stand up and take an applause.lovecpf. Well done Sir.

ven

Flashaholic

+1

BUT.....................................i would get a tk61vn to check no one has pinched the mock hawk :laughing:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LASER........... :D

Yeah, if you set the trees on fire, the birds will avoid it.

Mc - I DO enjoy your banter. I have another friend just like you, I call him Eeyore, and he hates it.

:buddies:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You're quite welcome, I've found often enough that the simplest designs provide the most effective and durable solutions. Good luck on your quest to sleep in.

Hey, are you still making hand suns?

frozentundra

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to agree with a predator mock up as the way to go. In my area Owls are used to very good effect for keeping many species away from the entrances to big box stores.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
On your CPFM Thread, no visits by you in over a year....I thought maybe you stopped?