BOLO! Be On The Lookout For Searchlights for BVH

BVH

Flashaholic
If it isn't blatantly obvious, I will make it so. I search frequently for aviation and military Short Arc searchlights. Incandescents need not apply. It's a non-controllable compulsion. There's a lot of "eyes" here on CPF that I'm sure, could find more lights than I can by myself. Please, if you come across any candidates for me - Short Arcs ranging from 100 Watts up to X000 Watts that you have no interest in, please catch my attention. I especially love finding lights I didn't know exist, like the ORC 500 Watt Gunfire Simulators I just found. There is one particular light I have been looking for for quite some time. It's an Optical Radiation Corporation 2000 Watt unit on a gimbal. It is/was used on C130 gunships and is Gov't ID'd as an "AN/AVQ-17 Illuminator". I saw one long after it was sold in an ad still available for viewing online. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/military-searchlight-complete-gyro-control

Thank you in advance!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know B, I'm always looking out for cool or unique lights, but you my friend always take the cake. You've found/bought more badass and odd SA lights then anyone else I've ever seen, so I guess what I'm saying is, we'll all try but it's probably a futile effort since chances are, by the time we've found something you'd be interested in, you'll have already bought it! :crackup:

BVH

Flashaholic
So only up to X,000 watts, nothing in the XX,000 wattage range? (evilgrin/)

Yes, only 4 digits. I had the 12,000 Watt 60" carbon Arc - it was too heavy! I had the VSS-1 and while it falls within the x000 limit, it, too, was too heavy. I don't want an AN/TVS which is, I think anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 Watts. The big key here is that I need to be able to carry the individual parts by myself so portability - Plus or Minus 40 lbs, is important.

Ya know B, I'm always looking out for cool or unique lights, but you my friend always take the cake. You've found/bought more badass and odd SA lights then anyone else I've ever seen, so I guess what I'm saying is, we'll all try but it's probably a futile effort since chances are, by the time we've found something you'd be interested in, you'll have already bought it! :crackup:

Well, I can't be everywhere at the same time! :D

Jeep1234

Newly Enlightened
Yes, only 4 digits. I had the 12,000 Watt 60" carbon Arc - it was too heavy! I had the VSS-1 and while it falls within the x000 limit, it, too, was too heavy. I don't want an AN/TVS which is, I think anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 Watts. The big key here is that I need to be able to carry the individual parts by myself so portability - Plus or Minus 40 lbs, is important.

Why not go the VSS-3 route? More modern, smaller, lighter.... I have a friend who just sold a bunch of the TVs's and has loads of 60" GE Carbon arc parts.

Well, I can't be everywhere at the same time! :D

Last edited:

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
If it isn't blatantly obvious, I will make it so. I search frequently for aviation and military Short Arc searchlights. Incandescents need not apply. It's a non-controllable compulsion. There's a lot of "eyes" here on CPF that I'm sure, could find more lights than I can by myself. Please, if you come across any candidates for me - Short Arcs ranging from 100 Watts up to X000 Watts that you have no interest in, please catch my attention. I especially love finding lights I didn't know exist, like the ORC 500 Watt Gunfire Simulators I just found. There is one particular light I have been looking for for quite some time. It's an Optical Radiation Corporation 2000 Watt unit on a gimbal. It is/was used on C130 gunships and is Gov't ID'd as an "AN/AVQ-17 Illuminator". I saw one long after it was sold in an ad still available for viewing online. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/military-searchlight-complete-gyro-control

Thank you in advance!

I go to a lot of swap meets and garage sales in San Diego. I will keep a look out for you. Least I can do for the help you gave me...

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
B: I just got back from a military vehicle show in Lodi. There were a couple of interesting items. One was a brand new VSS-3A, with the control box and one cable. The other was a pretty big searchlight of some sort, apparently used on a dock. The reflector would have been about 24". It was complete, minus the actual reflector, but with extra bulbs. It went for $200.

There were also several VSS cables, and at least three control boxes laying on people's tables.

BVH

Flashaholic
We were there last Friday but it was lightly raining so half the stuff was covered up. I saw the dock light. Not a Short Arc though. What did they want for the VSS-3A - not that I want another, second VSS-3A. Were the control boxes for the -3 or -3A?

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I don't remember which specific light they were for, I just took a quick glance at them. I do remember one of the control boxes was marked at $75.00.

(I wished you would have stopped in and introduced yourself, I was one of the guys set up where that dock light was! Friday's rain closed just about everyone, except us and a couple of others.)