Lithium Iron Phosphate / Lithium Manganese Oxide batteries

adras

Newly Enlightened
I'm a flashaholic for quite some time now, too. Before buying my first China 7 LED flashlight I read differnt forums about the dangers of LIPo batteries. In the end I decided to use LifePos instead. Up to now they are working great, for my lates flashlights I chose Lithium Manganese Oxide batteries which also seem to be a great deal.

As this forum is full with dangerous stories, I'm wondering why I seem to be the only one which doesn't use Lipos. I know, if you handle them well, and make sure they're brand named, they're quite safe. But why do people just use the alternatives(see topic) which are more safe and more easy to handle?

I hope you guys can shed some light on me :)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Adras,

Welcome to CPF.

I think it comes down to risk versus reward.

A very loose comparison would be looking that the risks of driving a vehicle over taking public transportation. We all know that driving has risks but many of us find the reward of driving compensates with the added risk.

With batteries the "safer" chemistry doesn't perform as well. Battery capacity is lower and that means you get less run time. Battery voltage is lower so your performance may be less than using the more risky battery.

We raise the flag of caution because we want people to be aware that when more energy is stored in a battery more damage can occur when things go wrong. Awareness of the potential problems help people avoid the problems and that is the goal.

Tom

BVH

Flashaholic
You're not the only one. I use LiFeP04 whenever possible. I've widdled down my RC type brick pack Lipos to 6 packs - for a 28 Volt power supply. When these die, I'll replace them with LiFeP04's. I used to have 15+ packs. I now use some of the LiFeP04 Brick packs. My last 4 LiCo 18650's are used in the FireFoxes IV. I use IMR and CGR's for all other uses.

terramir

Newly Enlightened
The universe, milkyway, earth, Los angeles
Well some people think that lifepo4 cells are rock solid safe, this is not absolutely true I took a bunch of cells of the hands of some peeps that failed to build an electric car, well long story short while I did revive some cells one of the cells did vent in a black cloud.
It is much more unlikely, but it all depends on quality and contaminants, and you really never know.
My experience and my $.02
terramir

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
Are any of your flashlights water proof? Venting vs flame does not mean it's safer if the flashlight contains the venting from some levels of waterproofing you could still have preasure build up with and explosion. Just my $0.02

BVH

Flashaholic
Again, yes you could have a pressure explosion and resulting damage/injury but there will be no flame and possible resulting fire to burn down your house or other structure. Not saying they are "safe" just that they are relatively safer than LiCo. I don't have any water proof lights.

Latest posts