Dual 10 Watt LED Cannister Heads

SubSurfaceTech

Newly Enlightened
Post the Micro light build I felt something a little smaller and more powerful would be acceptable so have embarked on a dual head cannister video light.

This will necessitate a remote battery pack and wired configuration but neither of them are going to be big ...

You can check progress so far - http://subsurfacetech.synergize.co/LEDDualHeadProject.php

Will update thread as the build continues.

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

jspeybro

Enlightened
I've heard that these LED arrays are not always the most efficient, certainly the chinese ones. you may get better results (more light for the same power or longer run time for the same amount of light) using a Cree XML2 at 10W (about 3A). It may also allow you to make the head even smaller since the LED is much smaller.

do you have a datasheet of that LED?

Johan

SubSurfaceTech

Newly Enlightened
I've heard that these LED arrays are not always the most efficient, certainly the chinese ones. you may get better results (more light for the same power or longer run time for the same amount of light) using a Cree XML2 at 10W (about 3A). It may also allow you to make the head even smaller since the LED is much smaller.

do you have a datasheet of that LED?

Johan

Hi Johan.

I take on board your comments and thank you for the feed back. The heads are not finished just yet, I intend to embed an RGB LED with light guide in the rear to indicate power settings, slightly concerned about removing too much material from the Heat sink but as these are experimental ...

As you suggest this is a Chinese array so no data sheet and time will tell - currently I have run the die at 1 Amp for an hour in a bucket of water.

The XM-L2 would certainly appear to be an excellent replacement and something I will certainly investigate.

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

jspeybro

Enlightened
can't speak for the chinese led, but if you have a good thermal path to the water, I wouldn't worry too much with a 10W LED in a housing like that.
For the cree LED, that should not be an issue but I can only guess how it looks on the inside of your housing.

Johan

SubSurfaceTech

Newly Enlightened
can't speak for the chinese led, but if you have a good thermal path to the water, I wouldn't worry too much with a 10W LED in a housing like that.
For the cree LED, that should not be an issue but I can only guess how it looks on the inside of your housing.

Johan

If you take a quick peak on the website and have a look at the construction pics it should give you a better idea ...

http://subsurfacetech.synergize.co/LEDDualHeadGallery1.php#tabs-1

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

SubSurfaceTech

Newly Enlightened
Small update detailing the build for the Monitor & Control system of the Video Light.

Construction pic's of the magnetic momentary buttons.

Currently finalising the size of a rotary On / Off switch, when this is completed the drawings will be updated and available for download.

Ta

SubSurfaceTech