Test/Review of UltraFire TR18650 5000mAh (Blue)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]UltraFire TR18650 5000mAh (Blue)[/size]

Why buy expensive 3400mAh cells when you can get 5000mAh cells much cheaper? I believe this test answers that question.

DSC_5402.jpg

Official specifications:
  • 100% brand new 2x 18650 3.7V Li-ion 5000mAh UltraFire rechargeable batteries
  • Perfect for Flashlight, Rc toy or electronic gadgets
  • 100% QC of every battery
  • Capacity: 5000mAh
  • Voltage: 3.7V
  • Chemistry: Li-ion
  • Recharge: up to 1000 cycles

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-info.png

The cell does not live up to its rated capacity, it is only about 1000mAh and cannot deliver high current.

DSC_5400.jpg
DSC_5401.jpg

DSC_5403.jpg
DSC_5404.jpg

The button top looks nice, but is missing the vent holes.

DSC_5405.jpg

DSC_5406.jpg

DSC_5407.jpg

The battery was not sold as a protected battery, but the wrapper says it has protection (It does not have protection).

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-Capacity.png

The capacity is not the same between the cells and it starts to lose capacity at 2A to 3A.

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-CapacityTimeHours.png

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-CapacityTime.png

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-Energy.png

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-PowerLoadTime.png

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-TripCurrent.png

UltraFire%20TR18650%205000mAh%20(Blue)-Charge.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

They capacity is way lower then any normal cell and it cannot deliver much current. I wonder if the missing vent holes are because the internal cell protection (PTC & CID) is missing?

This is what I call a bad cell.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

This cell is sold in many colors, where I bought it the actual color is random.

How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cell with not even 1/4th (closer to 1/5th) the stated capacity, where even its own wrapper contradicts what's inside that wrapping?

That just begs for disassembly... (if anyone wants to cover shipping: I volunteer :) )

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Great review! (As always!)

:D

These various "suretocatchfire" cells are what MOST people use unfortunately...as it just never occurs to them that they are THAT deceptive/dishonest.

If you have a low draw device and no other cells (real cells) to compare them to, you might not even know you were ripped off....hence their success in the marketplace/eBay, etc.

And, as begged for above, I bet if you take it apart, there will be some other old cell inside it.

:D

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too funny! I needed a good laugh today. Thanks for doing these for us Henrik! :thumbsup:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
In the manufacturer specs: 100% QC of every battery

I wonder what that even MEANS?

They also state: 100% Brand New

What would, say, 99% Brand New be like?

I say open the suckers up and see if its even an 18650...let alone new.

RBWNY

Enlightened
Thanks for exposing these cells for what they are! Just like cheap flashlights though, they seem to be kind of a crapshoot. They either work on delivery, or don't. It still amazes me though that folks will buy them and not even bother to see how many poor reviews they've received. And for those who DO give them a 5 star rating...I'd like to know how long it is before they realize they've been taken! Unfortunately there's a sucker born every minute!

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Haha, i laughed! Not only because someone who knows a thing or 3 about batteries actually bought these but even more so because you did actual extensive testing on em! Thank you sir for proving the blatantly obvious!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Haha, i laughed! Not only because someone who knows a thing or 3 about batteries actually bought these but even more so because you did actual extensive testing on em! Thank you sir for proving the blatantly obvious!

There are a couple of reasons I bought them:
I was curios about how bad they were.
I want to not only show good batteries in my test.
I hope the test can be a warning to other people.

I got more batteries from the same dealer, they will show up over the next few weeks.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you sir for proving the blatantly obvious!

If it was really so obvious, they wouldn't sell so many of the things. The whole problem is that it isn't obvious...the only reason we all know about the issues is because people like HKJ do take the time to check 'em out thoroughly. Regulars of CPF take it for granted...but remember, 99.95% of the population has no idea how bad these cells really are.

This is bookmarked for me, along with this thread and this thread. Collectively, these three provide all the evidence anyone needs...JUST STAY AWAY!

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
And for those who DO give them a 5 star rating...I'd like to know how long it is before they realize they've been taken! Unfortunately there's a sucker born every minute!
Indeed, but don't forget the possibility that even those "user ratings" are fake...

If it was really so obvious, they wouldn't sell so many of the things. The whole problem is that it isn't obvious...the only reason we all know about the issues is because people like HKJ do take the time to check 'em out thoroughly. Regulars of CPF take it for granted...but remember, 99.95% of the population has no idea how bad these cells really are.
Keyword is "knowledgeable". CPF user or not, I'd do some charge/discharge tests on a newly acquired Li-ion. And if it came up short as badly as these, I'd be demanding replacements or refund from seller. Likewise if a cell would lose 50% capacity after just a few cycles.

But that's the minority. For example a tailcap current measurement will be beyond most buyer's skill set. A voltmeter? Current? What's that? :laughing: So most buyers will just go by specs as presented, and (not having a way to verify) assume those to be accurate.

A bit of Googling might turn up links that say you're about to buy junk, but you know what? That same bit of Googling's first hits are places where they sell that junk. NOT places where you see it's junk. :mad:

Bottom line: it's still a numbers game. And in our capitalist society, where selling stuff comes 1st, the truth is out there but harder to find than the advertisements. And the average customer is an idiot (or behaves as such).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Those are worse than the usual Chinese cell. Where are they made? Turdistan???

I'd say they are average (not worse) for that type of product in that price point.

The WORST ones are even worse, trust me.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say they are average (not worse) for that type of product in that price point.

The WORST ones are even worse, trust me.

Indeed. Check the links I posted earlier, n3eg. Another CPF member ordered a few, and ignoring the ones that were totally dead, a couple came in at 70 mAh. Yep, 70 - read it and weep. And that's ignoring the potential for wild variation among seemingly identical cells...there is no such thing as a matched set of ****Fires (at least not on a reliable basis).

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The worst ones are those that go :poof:

Especially if those are built 'good' enough that they contain the energy to do some real damage (exploding flashlight, metal shrapnel flying around to hurt fingers, eyes etc).

RepProdigious

Enlightened
The worst ones are those that go :poof:

Especially if those are built 'good' enough that they contain the energy to do some real damage (exploding flashlight, metal shrapnel flying around to hurt fingers, eyes etc).

Exploding flashlights is one, but theres also masses of people that nowadays use these in 'vaping' gear and most people i know that actually 'vape' are incredibly stupid so they would totally fall for 5Ah batteries so they can smoke longer.... imagine a little pipe-bomb going off in your face instead of in your hand.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Exploding flashlights is one, but theres also masses of people that nowadays use these in 'vaping' gear and most people i know that actually 'vape' are incredibly stupid so they would totally fall for 5Ah batteries so they can smoke longer.... imagine a little pipe-bomb going off in your face instead of in your hand.

14016055771_63a441e84e_s.jpg

Don't be ridiculous, look how much I saved by getting Ultrafires!