what's the name of the Pinhole phenomena?

mr.ee's

Newly Enlightened
hello all, i'm a newbie here.

i'm interested in finding out the name of the phenomena whereby i can shine my flashlight through a pinhole and see an image on the wall of the light's element. kind of analogous to a camera obscura.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, light is emitted from each point on an emitter in many directions at once, subject to any optics present. When shining on a suitable small pinhole, essentially only one beam from each point on the emitter is being passed through the pinhole to shine on the opposing wall. So what you are seeing is the relative light values of each point on the emitter - an image of the emitter-since the individual values are not being washed out by rays from adjacent points, as they are in a normal beam.

As an example: Say I have an emitter that has three pinhead elements. Each pinhead is emitting photons in all directions, but only the one or two (or three, or ...) traveling directly toward the pinhole will pass through to strike the opposing wall. The same with the other to pinhead emitters. So what I wind up with is three faint images of the pinheads, as if by magic. This is the same principle used by a 'pinhome camera' to take a picture without a lens. It is depending on the particle aspect of light, as opposed to the wave aspect., and that is as far as I am going to dive into the dual nature of light.

inetdog

Enlightened
It is often referred to as a pinhole lens or a pinhole camera depending on how it is used.
An infinitely small pinhole would be a perfect lens, although with zero aperture.
But at small sizes diffraction effects actually ruin it and make the pinhole approach a uniform point source for the transmission of the light that hits it. :)

mr.ee's

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the quick & informative replies.

Very interesting that it is the same effect.
I was assuming reflected light was different than emitted light but, of course, to a lens it doesn't matter.

Is the image inverted as with a pinhole camera?

Fun fact I learned on Wikipedia today: World Pinhole Day is the last Sunday in April every year. Tomorrow

inetdog

Enlightened
The image will be inverted unless you add one or more mirrors, a mirrored prism, or a large real lens to invert it again.
Note that trying to use a second pinhole for this purpose will leave no image at all. :)