wanting to make a spotlight better

lateround

Newly Enlightened
I'm wanting to try and make a nice handheld spotlight, all the spotlights I have tried have the white led I would like to make a more Amber yellowish color, and I do have a cheap stanley spotlight thought about taking apart and seeing if I can change the bulbs and make a little stronger just to experiment with if anyone has any pointers or ideas?

Mr_Sheesh

Newly Enlightened
Sounds very doable, you would need to find an LED module that will emit your desired color light, and find a matching driver that will safely run that LED module. You don't want to overheat the LED, heat is nasty to LEDs. I'd think you can start by looking at existing lights and getting an idea of how many lumens you want your light to emit, then find an emitter that's suitable, then find a driver to drive it, that runs off your existing power the spotlight runs on. (Not saying it's simple as you may need to find a way to cool the LED module, depending on power you want, and the housing your spotlight is in.)

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go incan. you won't have to worry about heat, and many of them are yellowish white naturally. What bulb does it have now?

lateround

Newly Enlightened
Only a 5 watt cree led bulb producing 520 lumens with a nickel metal hydride battery similar one has a 5 watt cree led bulb with a 7.2 v nimh battery only produce 192 lumens

Last edited:

lateround

Newly Enlightened
Anymore input? Also have one with 720 lumens runs off aa batteries just dont like the white color everything blends together too much

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What range do you want the beam to be able to reach out and illuminate what kind of target, and, how large a spot do you want on that target?

lateround

Newly Enlightened
Usually dont shine over 50 yards but mostly closer, I shine wildlife so thats why I'm not wanting the white has everything blending in with branches and leaves and the spot maybe around 8 ft at 100 ft since thats the main distance I shine

WhitedragonBC

Newly Enlightened

Latest posts