Recommend Me A Light For Work

WickedServant

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes I need to work in the dark. Whether it's a crawlspace, a renovation with the power cut off, etc.

BUDGET:
Willing to spend up to $100, but if I can find for around or slightly under $50, I'll buy 2 :D:D

POWER SOURCE:
I'm wealthy in good, rechargeable AA batteries (Eneloop XX and 3rd gen whites) but none of the other types, so a flashlight using any number of AA is a must.

RUNTIME:
Should be able to run for days on Low Setting (approx 10-20 lumens) and four to eight hours on a Medium Setting (approx 40-60 lumens) for when I really, really need to see with more precision. High Setting -if there is one- is not so important.

BEAM TYPE:
Mostly what I'll be needing is a good floodlight, a good bright center would be nice. No donuts... and no headlamps.

MISC:
Not being able to tailstand is an absolute deal-breaker. Must stand, preferably well.

Thank you for your help on this!

Last edited:

Shooter21

Enlightened
I would suggest you check out the Zebralight H52F AA since a headlamp is better for work.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Longer run times then maybe look into 8xAA cell lights,fenix tk41,nitecore ea8 but larger and not pocket friendly........

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If he has to use weaker low density cells, just use a light that crams a lot of them into a big fat tube.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a visit to a trade store and buy a professional users light rather than pay inflated hobby prices.Led Lenser and Streamlight are popular as well as the top value unbranded lights.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I would suggest a visit to a trade store and buy a professional users light rather than pay inflated hobby prices.Led Lenser and Streamlight are popular as well as the top value unbranded lights.

Oddly, around here...it's the opposite.

The trade shops have lower quality stuff at higher prices...so maybe I should move to where you live if the difference justifies the distance.

:D

To the OP -

The lumen levels you specify seen very low for inspection/detail work unless the beam angle was too tight to be the floody kind of beam you are asking for.

IE: If an office was lit at those levels....The company would get a violation.

What are you basing those values upon?

Last edited:

Sp@rky

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam PA40 should fit your criteria too. Mine took a 14ft drop onto concrete the other week and still works like the day I bought it. Seriously impressed!

Turbo output of 468 lumens, for 2 hrs 30 mins
Hi output of 220 lumens, for 6 hrs
Med output of 50 lumens, for 27 hrs
Lo output of 2 lumens, for 150 hrs

All from 4 AA eneloops.

WickedServant

Newly Enlightened
To the OP -

The lumen levels you specify seen very low for inspection/detail work unless the beam angle was too tight to be the floody kind of beam you are asking for.

IE: If an office was lit at those levels....The company would get a violation.

What are you basing those values upon?

The desired Low setting is based from my TK41 low of 15 lumens. With the wall bounce this is sufficient for much of the rough work, though a bit more light/brightness wouldn't hurt... as long as the runtime doesn't take a big hit.

As to the Medium setting, I think you are right and I've set the bar too low. When I need to be able to see more, maybe I should be looking for a 80 or 100+.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. Before anyone asks, no I don't want to use my TK41 for work. Not a great tail-stand light for my purposes as it is fairly tall and the surface it rests on may shake slightly.

WickedServant

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam PA40 should fit your criteria too. Mine took a 14ft drop onto concrete the other week and still works like the day I bought it. Seriously impressed!

Turbo output of 468 lumens, for 2 hrs 30 mins
Hi output of 220 lumens, for 6 hrs
Med output of 50 lumens, for 27 hrs
Lo output of 2 lumens, for 150 hrs

All from 4 AA eneloops.

I think I just read a thread here on CPF about that very product; much of it was company-negative. Something about poor/clueless battery recommendations, and having to mass recall chargers?

On a sidenote, I'm absolutely amazed by the Olight S35 as a power-failure homesaver. (Are these no longer being made?! Pity!) Consider me a proud new owner of one anyways. I still love Ebay.

Last edited: