For those of you who travel a lot. . . .

wjv

Enlightened
For those of you who travel a lot. . . . Do you have a dedicated travel flashlight?

I pretty much stick to one of my 1xAA lights when I travel.

EagleTac D25A Clicky in NW (0.45 Lumen -> 110 Lumen)
ITP A2 EOS (1.5 Lumen -> 80 Lumen)
L3 Illumination L10 in NW (0.09 Lumen -> 120 Lumen)

I like that they take commonly found AA batteries
I like that they all can be used as a night light because of the low mode
They all have reasonable run times
They all are easy to carry all day, along with some spare batteries

I like the EagleTac best for travel because you can use it as a nightlight (1/2 lumen) but in a fraction of a second, go to 110 lumens just by tightening the head. It also is versatile in that it has 6 illumination levels. Finally all of the disco modes are well hidden.

So what is your "travel light"?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I usually take along as many as I think I might need.

:D

UnderPar

Enlightened
I used to bring my iTP A1 before until I had several other lights. Now I always have in my travel bag the FourSevens Quark QT2L-X.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
For travel, camping, or off grid use I tend to choose AA lights as well. Mainly for ubiquitous cell availability, interoperability across a lot of devices, and available charging options. I'll usually have a couple rechargeable batteries, a couple primary Lithiums, and a compact USB/Solar charger too.

I really like the D25A, but have gotten to use Zebralight SC52s most often. The ZL is quite a bit brighter on most cells with very good efficiency and an excellent (if complex) UI. Lots of good AA options out there though.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For recreational travel I usually pack an E2e with a twisty switch, Arc AAA, and a Minimus. I pack my wife a Tikka XP2 and a Arc AAA. I'll usually have something like a EB2 in my luggage as well.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first rule in terms of international travel lights is: I don't take anything that is so irreplaceable that I would be bereft/inconsolable if it were stolen, or confiscated by a corrupt official. I usually take a Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro 1xAA as a pocket light (not the newer, brighter version that I leave at home), a Fenix L2D 2xAA (I've got another one), and, for a keychain light, an Arc-AAA premium. The Arc-AAA is probably irreplaceable, but I have a PeakLED Solutions EDC keychain light that I value much more for its longest-configuration runtime. AA batteries are the most commonly available cells worldwide. I use my keychain AAA light only as a backup, and may only take one cell in the light, since lithiums are getting harder to travel with.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to do a lot of international travel for work and would bring an Underwater Kinetics 2AAA LED. I liked the side-by 2xAAA configuration and I had a lanyard with a big knot on it so it was easy to find on the night table when I woke up jet-lagged in the middle of the night. Nice beam, but ugly blue tint. It was a dependable light but I've moved on. Now I bring something with a trit for the night table.

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Specifically for mixed city-travel I take 2x18650s (Sunwayman M20c and Olight S20 baton) both are comparatively small and have very long runtimes on low/moonlight;
Tank 007E09 with 1xAAA because it´s super small and has 120 lm on max, runs over 1000 mins on min
Sunwayman V20a - infinite variable on 2xAA
Fenix MC10 Anglelight on 1xAA for reading, placing on tables etc. when I can´t attach the magnetic tailcap of the Olight S20 baton to something. These are distributed through pockets on my bags/suitcase and carry-ons so at least one is always reachable. Depending on situation might also take a V11r or a Nitecore sens on 1xAA with me.
For outdoor experiences/ rougher times or holidays I replace the M20c with something more tactical and take chargers with me.

ArmoredFiend

Newly Enlightened
For travelling to other countries i always stick to AA lights.

Else locally to other state or area, i EDC a combination of 1xAA + 1x18650 or 1xAA + 2xAA, depeding on mood.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flew about 125,000 miles last year, use lights in industrial applications (& hotels :candle:).

SWM V10R with HiCRI XP-G,12 trit cooling fin, li ion 14500 (or AA), cotton picker charger
4 Sevens Regen MMR-X modded by Vinh (better hotspot), low/High, USB charged (18650 has + & - at top)
Dark Sucks EN Plated QR AAA light
4 Sevens Atom (CR123) modded by Vinh to neutral, headlamp strap in the bag - great mule light if taking photos

The above are ALWAYS in the computer bag. Depending on what I am doing & my mood I often travel with additional lights;
Loaner Solarforce light
Oveready TL50 shorty, running on 2xIMR 18350s (Nichia or Neutral XP-G2)
Dark Sucks Alpha MC-E

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i am off to Berlin shortly and i will take something small on AA fuel possibly a D25 or similar ish,it must have a moon mode to read a menu without disturbing other guests and as i am driving there will pop my PD35 in the glove box.

wjv

Enlightened
Well i am off to Berlin shortly . . . . as i am driving there will pop my PD35 in the glove box.

I thought the Chunnel was only for trains. Taking a Ferry across?

If I had to travel through a 50Km long tunnel (even on a train) I'd want a nice light and Lots of batteries!!!!!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the Chunnel was only for trains. Taking a Ferry across?

If I had to travel through a 50Km long tunnel (even on a train) I'd want a nice light and Lots of batteries!!!!!

The Chunnel is only for trains that carry cars and trucks but yes i am crossing by a shorter route from Hull to Holland and then up to Berlin.

Cankniver

Newly Enlightened
For those of you who travel a lot. . . . Do you have a dedicated travel flashlight?

I pretty much stick to one of my 1xAA lights when I travel.

EagleTac D25A Clicky in NW (0.45 Lumen -> 110 Lumen)
ITP A2 EOS (1.5 Lumen -> 80 Lumen)
L3 Illumination L10 in NW (0.09 Lumen -> 120 Lumen)

I like that they take commonly found AA batteries
I like that they all can be used as a night light because of the low mode
They all have reasonable run times
They all are easy to carry all day, along with some spare batteries

I like the EagleTac best for travel because you can use it as a nightlight (1/2 lumen) but in a fraction of a second, go to 110 lumens just by tightening the head. It also is versatile in that it has 6 illumination levels. Finally all of the disco modes are well hidden.

So what is your "travel light"?
I have not traveled with a light before on an airplane. But I intend to I was wondering if there is an acceptable size light that is not interpreted as a weapon. I worry about screening staff at the Xray machines?

wjv

Enlightened
Then stick to 1xAA or 2xAA. Every TSA person is familier with that format and battery type. Avoid strike bezels

ArmoredFiend

Newly Enlightened
I have not traveled with a light before on an airplane. But I intend to I was wondering if there is an acceptable size light that is not interpreted as a weapon. I worry about screening staff at the Xray machines?
5 out of 10 times after the x-ray, i was asked to produce the black metal tube thing to show them what it was. Turn on the light and it's good to go. For a few, i jst have to show them tho. I guess there are many who travel with flashlights in their hand-carry.