Olight 18650 3400mAh - what do you think?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with the new Olight 18650 3400mAh battery at GoingGear and Battery Junction? Seems priced right and both GG and BJ have cheap shipping - even for just one battery. The amps allowed by the circuit is a bit lower than some other top brands though.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
GoingGear Website: The protected battery itself is $15.99 plus another $2-3 for shipping.

Definitely cheaper than Orbtronic, Keeppower, Nitecore, Eagletac, Xtar, Zebralight, and AW.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination Supply has the Keeppower 3400s for $13.99 before shipping.

You can get the Pannie NRC18650PF unprotected hybrids for $9.99.

Chris

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is out of stock but is a good price no doubt. If they restock in time and with the same price, I will get one of those too. Thanks for the info.

ven

Flashaholic
Banggood has them for $12:48
SKU: SKU122446

As said it will be a pany cell wrapped,i have keeppower 3100 at $8.99 each.............hard to beat and good
SKU: SKU122233

Enlightened
Banggood has them for $12:48 SKU: SKU122446 As said it will be a pany cell wrapped,i have keeppower 3100 at $8.99 each.............hard to beat and good SKU: SKU122233
The problem is it looks like the Keeppower 3400's are disappearing from a lot of sites. These Olight 3400's are probably as good as any other Panny 3400 based cells.

ven

Flashaholic
The problem is it looks like the Keeppower 3400's are disappearing from a lot of sites. These Olight 3400's are probably as good as any other Panny 3400 based cells.

Yes agree ,they will be the same inside,may even have same pcb from same factory,just a different coloured wrap......

Have not noticed regarding KPs disappearing tbh,its not me buying them ..............honest!!!

:)

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right, the Olight 3400maH at Bang Good is a great price at $12.48, with free shipping and a battery case too - However, there are many complaints accusing Bang Good of being a scam and not delivering the product.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Hi carl,not aware of complaints etc but going of my personal experience of a good few years (at least 3 iirc) has been a good experience so far.
No scam for me,they have tracking on products too,more so on expensive items.

I was unsure on some cells a while back,they showed me when they entered UK for example,sure enough i got them.
Other than that i had an issue with a skyray,sent another out free........

I would not recommend anywhere that has been involved in scams,but can only speak of personal experience,have you been scammed?

:thumbsup:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not recently and I have never dealt with bag good. Glad to hear your experience with them went well. When it comes to overseas dealers who don't have quick phone access, I tend to deal with those who have something to lose if they don't deliver - ebay has a complaint system which seems to work well, also amazon so that's where I usually go.

timbo114

Enlightened
I have a pair simply due to the fact that these are built using the Panasonic NCR18650B cell.

2036_0_zps2ca72774.jpg

http://hkequipment.net/index.php?cat=&p=6&id=2036

100% Brand New

Original Olight products
(Built by Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh, cell origins from Japan)

Features:
- Original Panasonic cell from Japan
- Built-in protection circuit, guards against - Over-charge, Over-discharge and Over-current
- High Performance IC from Japan
- Improved voltage stability due to low internal resistance
- PET sheath, environmentally friendly and not easy to crack
- Steel flat button design

Specification:
Voltage : 3.7v (4.2v when fully charged)
Capacity : 3400mAh (discharged at 0.2C)
Standard charge 1700mAh
Standard discharge 680mAh (Cutoff at 2.5v/30mA)
Size : 18mm x 68.5mm (+/-0.2mm)
Current Over-flow protection : 10A
Weight 48g

Limited Warranty From OLIGHT
· Free Repair Service.
· Cost of parts and shipping fee will be charged.
· Notify us before return or repair.

Package includes (with original packaging):
Olight 18650 3400mAh Li-ion Protected Rechargeable 3.7v battery x2
Battery Case for 2x18650/4xCR123A x1

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I have seen Three[3] different lengths of these on various dealers websites!!

I have seen 68.5mm[above post!], 69.00mm and 69.5mm!!!! Can ANYONE verify the CORRECT length?!!

Thanks,,,,,,,,,;)

Enlightened
I have seen Three[3] different lengths of these on various dealers websites!! I have seen 68.5mm[above post!], 69.00mm and 69.5mm!!!! Can ANYONE verify the CORRECT length?!! Thanks,,,,,,,,,;)
It's listed as 69.35mm on IS site.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't as bad as Eagletacs or Nitecores, but they still aren't the best value. SoShine 3400s are my preference. Two for $20 at IS, and they are shorter button tops, i.e. they will be compatible with more lights than just about any other cells. If for some reason you aren't comfortable with those, Keeppowers are known excellent cells, lower internal resistance than most 18650s, and are still cheaper than the Olight.

It bugs me that you can't even find measurements for the batteries on Olight's own web page. They are advertising them, but not providing any specs or real information about their performance at all. Bad job, if you ask me.

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh, for that cheap of a price you can get 18650 green protected, with pcb trip @6.7A instead of ~ 4.2A......(olight version)

Conclusion, the PCB is not the same!

My recommendations...

http://www.banggood.com/4PCS-NCR-18...ted-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-p-90989.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C26OWGS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.banggood.com/4PCS-NCR-18650PF-3_7V-2900MAH-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-p-913786.html my personal favorite < uber cheap, very high quality, amazingly high drain, they hold volts like mad..

Keep in mind, the Orbotronic cell is actually Pana 18650PF, not PD it has been wrongly named as PD, is PF cell inside.

cqI1OPU.png

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Last edited:

Enlightened
Meh, for that cheap of a price you can get 18650 green protected, with pcb trip @6.7A instead of ~ 4.2A...... Conclusion, the PCB is not the same!
Are we talking about the unbranded ones? Those are pretty chunky. Most measurements I've seen of those are close to 70mm. HKJ reviewed a set that was measured at 70.3mm (70.5mm spec).

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are we talking about the unbranded ones? Those are pretty chunky. Most measurements I've seen of those are close to 70mm. HKJ reviewed a set that was measured at 70.3mm (70.5mm spec).

Yep unbranded, they are 69.5mm i measured them. Don't know for HKJ ones tbh...i think now you get mostly short versions ~ 6.95cm...

The good thing with this PF cells is that they are giving the same or better lifetime for high power flahslghts, the runtimes is highly relative, because on most of this flashlights you cant go on turbo after yo get to 3.6v, and look at what point you are there in the graph, then you must recharge, which makes the long runtime overrated.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep unbranded, they are 69.5mm i measured them. Don't know for HKJ ones tbh...i think now you get mostly short versions ~ 6.95cm...

69.5mm is still on the long side for 18650s. And that does reduce compatibility...the reason I prefer SoShines is that they are max 68.3mm. Puts less tension on springs, and fits in more lights, and cheaper than the protected cells you linked.

The good thing with this PF cells is that they are giving the same or better lifetime for high power flashlights, the runtimes is highly relative, because on most of this flashlights you cant go on turbo after you get to 3.6v, and look at what point you are there in the graph, then you must recharge, which makes the long runtime overrated.

That depends a lot on how you are using a light. If it is a high-drain light, and you are running it in turbo all the time, the PFs will shine, no doubt. But if you use mostly low modes, the larger capacity cells will indeed give you significantly better runtime. But in any case, I don't think the comparison is fair. The Olight is a protected cell, and 2 of the 3 you recommend are unprotected. Both have their uses...but they are two different categories.