Too many lights?

LGT

Enlightened
How many of you out there with 30+ lights think you just plain over bought and could suit all of your needs with a mere 5 or 6 lights. I'm at about 50, and at times I ask myself, where can I hide these so the wife won't find them?:sssh:

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hindsight

I have perhaps 20 lights or so. When I get a new light, I usually sell or give another light away. I do the same with other items, e.g. clothes.

That keeps our house from becoming cluttered and lets others enjoy what I have enjoyed.

Gave my dentist another flashlight yesterday.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

My magic number is 12, I sell or give them away too. Batteries are another story. I give my friends cr123 primaries every now and then, I love buying them to replace my oldest stock.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does individual drop-in count? If so, I have an entire colony.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely have over 150.
Can I make due with less? Absolutely! I have about 5 that make up my EDC rotation and a few specialty lights for camping etc.

ven

Flashaholic
I have just done a little group shoot before,not all my lights,there are around another 15,some in work,couple in caravan and a few in my lads room.

This is in my 2 draws,other draws have cells,adapters,lanyards and all lots of accessories from diffusers to clips

Too many? nah :D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, you walk into the bar and ask if anyone drinks too much....

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
You talking to me, you Floydacious Flashlighterer?

Saw them three times. :cool:

Sorry - no I was referring to the OP. As in why would I want to have fewer lights. I think about it from time to time and wonder why I can't get by with more like 10 lights. Then I think about missing each one of the lights over #10 because I do really like owning them.

(OT reply) I've only seen them twice - 10 years too young to have caught them at their peak.

I definitely have over 150.
Can I make due with less? Absolutely! I have about 5 that make up my EDC rotation and a few specialty lights for camping etc.

WOW - that's a lot of lights. I've been close to there but never that high.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm at around 47 but that includes all manner of random junk. Also, if you keep emergency lights in your house/car/bag (Id say that is around 10 for me), that inflates the count. I could easily live with 10 or less but where's the fun in that?

kj2

Flashaholic
I've quite a bunch :p Can I work with less; yes. Can I live with less; don't even wanna think about it ;)

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
For me, each flashlight of significant value has a specific purpose and location. And because of that, removing one would create a hole, that would need to be filled with another light purchase.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
... could easily live with 10 or less but where's the fun in that?

Exactly!

I am at 21 that are truly my lights. Add in some lights my wife and kids use, car lights, spares, etc and I am at closer to 35. But I don't really feel like those lights should count. If I was EDC'ing 5 lights there is just no way that a light that lives in my glove box could count towards that as it really only get's used 3-4 times a year when I check to make sure it is still working.

I think the best rule of thumb that some members here adapted was "No shelf queens"; either a light gets used or it doesn't. I've tried to adopt this rule myself, except I allow for some lights that only get used a little bit.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

At one point a few months ago, I realized I had WAY too many lights. Lights that were only used when I was bored at night - I would walk out back and turn them on, admire them, then put them back in a drawer. That was when I sold off everything except for a few favorites/collectibles. I now have around 8 lights or so, and I still have too many that aren't used regularly, but I'm happy with the collection.