HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1D lights?

Flashaholic*

Default 1D lights?

So it's been a couple of years since Eveready released their 1D "economy" light and Rayovac has the VB1DLED (which I've found online but not actually seen in person). There's also an Eveready 1D light sold with a 6v LED lantern that works, but flickers horribly for some reason.

Has a half-way decent 1D flashlight been brought to market yet?

I look at my Quark and Zebra AA lights as proof that a single alkaline cell can do some really nice things, but I don't see anyone making 1D lights that aren't made as cheaply as possible.

Is there just no market for 1D lights that might actually survive a fall?

(Disclaimer, I'm still using a handful of the PR bulbs from the Eveready "economy" lights that I purchased a couple of years ago. They work surprisingly well when transferred into more durable hosts that protect the bulb from the battery).

--flatline

Default Re: 1D lights?

Fenix should make a "D01". Just like the E01 but with a D cell. Can you imagine? Tough, simple, efficient. Light for days.

CountyComm has the TLL .... Ive been wanting it for a while but never pulled the trigger. It looks decent.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by hombreluhrs View Post
    CountyComm has the TLL .... Ive been wanting it for a while but never pulled the trigger. It looks decent.
    That's very close to what I have in mind. If only it were directional.

I suppose I could tape it up some so that it doesn't blind me when I turn it on in the dark.

--flatline

Yea I would think with a lantern type light like that it should come on low first....but I guess you could just point it down at the ground when you turn if on.

Wow, that that TLL is very cool. Just ordered one thanks to this thread.

I think you could make a little shroud that would keep it from blinding you. I might try my hand with some PVC.

Flashaholic*

There's always the Lumintop SD10:

http://www.lumintop.com/Products_45.html#.U2yr79q9KSM

This light uses an XM-L2 emitter, and will run on 1xD, 3xAA (in a carrier), or 1x32650. It will also run on an 18650 or 26650 in a sleeve. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of boost converters, output is significantly lower on 1xD than with the other battery configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    There's always the Lumintop SD10:

http://www.lumintop.com/Products_45.html#.U2yr79q9KSM

This light uses an XM-L2 emitter, and will run on 1xD, 3xAA (in a carrier), or 1x32650. It will also run on an 18650 or 26650 in a sleeve. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of boost converters, output is significantly lower on 1xD than with the other battery configurations.
    Here's Selfbuilt review on the light : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...IMES-BEAMSHOTS

Flashaholic*

I would like a 1D light, if it was regulated at 100lm or so.

There was an Elektrolumens Blaster 1D available back in 2007-08 or so. It had a Seoul P4 w/IMS reflector and micropuck driver. Output was about 30 lumens with looooong runtime. It was mostly a task/emergency light. It was also available or can easily be modified with two micropucks to bring up the output but, of course, the runtime would suffer. The Elektrolumens blasters have excellent build quality--thicker and heavier than D-cell Maglites.

Sorry, I won't part with mine. ;-) But, you might try putting a WTB thread up in the B/S/T section.

Here is an old picture of some Elektrolumens lights with the 1D:

left to right:

1. Blaster 1R
    2. Blaster 1D
    3. Ohio 2C
    4. Ohio 1C
    5. Blaster 3 (front)
    Last edited by NutSAK; 05-09-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    - Terry

What type of battery do you (would you) guys run in your 1D lights? I want to steer clear of alkaleaks.

A 1D NiMH could be quite expensive and isn't supported by many battery chargers.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

I keep a AA Eneloop in mine with a D-size adapter. If I plan to use it for a while, I just drop a alkaleak D-cell in there, but I don't store it that way.

That's one of the great things about the Blaster 1D. It will run fine on a wide variety of cell sizes (AAA, AA, C, and D) with adapters.
    - Terry

I have always thought a C or D cell twisty/mini would be a great idea.
    Be a Light In the Universe

Flashaholic*

The appeal for me of a 1D light is that with the proper adapters (which I already have), you can stuff anything from a AAA to a D cell in it. I've got a bunch of unmatched partially used batteries of various sizes and a 1D light could eventually consume them all.

If the 1D light is actually a pleasure to use, I'd use it more and therefore burn through my stash even faster (a good thing, really!).

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    The appeal for me of a 1D light is that with the proper adapters (which I already have), you can stuff anything from a AAA to a D cell in it.
    Me too:
    Quote Originally Posted by NutSAK View Post
    That's one of the great things about the Blaster 1D. It will run fine on a wide variety of cell sizes (AAA, AA, C, and D) with adapters.
    - Terry

The D adapters work in the C9000, and would be able to charge two batteries at a time, which would be fine for your needs.

You could also buy that unsmart charger from Harbor Freight on sale for about 15 dollars.

Tenergy makes a good LSD D battery.

Flashaholic*

I remember Elektrolumens
    I had two of them. This was back in 2004 or 2005 for sure, the first Luxeon 1 lights I think.

I would say a twisty 1C would be awesome
    1D is just too big.

Flashaholic*

I would love to have a 1D body that a Peak Logan head would thread into.....imagine the runtime, especially with a QTC pill installed.

where's some enterprising person with a lathe?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Here's Selfbuilt review on the light : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...IMES-BEAMSHOTS

Ok, looks like someone made a decent 1D light. It uses PWM, but I can live with that if I can't find anything better.

I tried to find someone who sells it and could only come up with an Ebay seller (which I am loathe to do). Anyone know where I could purchase the SD10 from a reputable dealer?

--flatline

I wouldn't mind a light like this too

What about not being regulated?

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I would love to have a 1D body that a Peak Logan head would thread into.....imagine the runtime, especially with a QTC pill installed.

where's some enterprising person with a lathe?
    So I actually had a custom tap made so I could make my own tubes for the Eiger. I've done a couple experiments including a rectangular flat body with two battery tubes side by side and two Eiger heads (I call it my Peak Hydra)

I could do a D cell body with 1 (or 2 or 3!) Eiger heads. It would be cool. I could do one high output head, one mule, and one high CRI or any combination really.

I think someone should make a Pak-Lite, that pops onto a D battery, instead of just the 9 volt, and that will run forever, a light dedicated to black outs.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by braddy View Post
    What about not being regulated?
    I prefer regulation and current controlled output, but I'll tolerate non-regulated output and PWM if there are no other options at an acceptable price point.

At this point, the options seems pretty slim, so if you're aware of an unregulated 1D light, I'd love to know about it.

--flatline

Flashaholic*

I'm wondering what the appeal would be to be honest unless you're not comfortable with li ion cells. A single 18650 will have the same or better output and runtime in a much smaller light

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    I'm wondering what the appeal would be to be honest unless you're not comfortable with li ion cells. A single 18650 will have the same or better output and runtime in a much smaller light
    The appeal is that I have a stash of partially used C and D cells that I can only use in a single cell flashlight since I have no way of reliably matching them in pairs or triplets. If I had a 1D light that I liked using, I could burn through all those cells with that light.

--flatline

Flashaholic*

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBruin View Post
    Fenix should make a "D01". Just like the E01 but with a D cell. Can you imagine? Tough, simple, efficient. Light for days.

Now everybody just hold on. That's a fine idea and all, the D01, but don't sit there & try to leap frog my AA version of it- I don't think fenix has made a single mode AA twisty since the civictor v1.

Whoa now. Many of the applications being discussed here are very low power draw lights intended to last forever. At very low currents, an Energizer D cell is rated at 18,000 mah.

Quality low self discharge rechargeable NiMH D cells are rated from 8,000 - 10,000 mah and are capable of insanely high current draw.

To get that kind of capacity, you would have to run several of even the best 18650s at which point your light isn't so small anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post

Flashaholic*

I've looked a bit harder and still can't find a source for the Lumintop SD10 that isn't Ebay.

Selfbuilt reviewed two versions, a cool white with smooth reflector and a neutral with an orange peel reflector. I definitely would want the later. The Ebay listings, naturally, don't specify what's actually for sale.

*sigh*

--flatline

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast