1D lights?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it's been a couple of years since Eveready released their 1D "economy" light and Rayovac has the VB1DLED (which I've found online but not actually seen in person). There's also an Eveready 1D light sold with a 6v LED lantern that works, but flickers horribly for some reason.

Has a half-way decent 1D flashlight been brought to market yet?

I look at my Quark and Zebra AA lights as proof that a single alkaline cell can do some really nice things, but I don't see anyone making 1D lights that aren't made as cheaply as possible.

Is there just no market for 1D lights that might actually survive a fall?

(Disclaimer, I'm still using a handful of the PR bulbs from the Eveready "economy" lights that I purchased a couple of years ago. They work surprisingly well when transferred into more durable hosts that protect the bulb from the battery).

--flatline

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix should make a "D01". Just like the E01 but with a D cell. Can you imagine? Tough, simple, efficient. Light for days.

hombreluhrs

Enlightened
CountyComm has the TLL .... Ive been wanting it for a while but never pulled the trigger. It looks decent.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
CountyComm has the TLL .... Ive been wanting it for a while but never pulled the trigger. It looks decent.

That's very close to what I have in mind. If only it were directional.

I suppose I could tape it up some so that it doesn't blind me when I turn it on in the dark.

--flatline

hombreluhrs

Enlightened
Yea I would think with a lantern type light like that it should come on low first....but I guess you could just point it down at the ground when you turn if on.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that that TLL is very cool. Just ordered one thanks to this thread.

I think you could make a little shroud that would keep it from blinding you. I might try my hand with some PVC.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's always the Lumintop SD10:

http://www.lumintop.com/Products_45.html#.U2yr79q9KSM

This light uses an XM-L2 emitter, and will run on 1xD, 3xAA (in a carrier), or 1x32650. It will also run on an 18650 or 26650 in a sleeve. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of boost converters, output is significantly lower on 1xD than with the other battery configurations.

eff

Enlightened
There's always the Lumintop SD10:

http://www.lumintop.com/Products_45.html#.U2yr79q9KSM

This light uses an XM-L2 emitter, and will run on 1xD, 3xAA (in a carrier), or 1x32650. It will also run on an 18650 or 26650 in a sleeve. Keep in mind that, due to the limitations of boost converters, output is significantly lower on 1xD than with the other battery configurations.

Here's Selfbuilt review on the light : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...3xAA-1x26650-32650)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was an Elektrolumens Blaster 1D available back in 2007-08 or so. It had a Seoul P4 w/IMS reflector and micropuck driver. Output was about 30 lumens with looooong runtime. It was mostly a task/emergency light. It was also available or can easily be modified with two micropucks to bring up the output but, of course, the runtime would suffer. The Elektrolumens blasters have excellent build quality--thicker and heavier than D-cell Maglites.

Sorry, I won't part with mine. ;-) But, you might try putting a WTB thread up in the B/S/T section.

Here is an old picture of some Elektrolumens lights with the 1D:

305911407.jpg

left to right:

1. Blaster 1R
2. Blaster 1D
3. Ohio 2C
4. Ohio 1C
5. Blaster 3 (front)

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
What type of battery do you (would you) guys run in your 1D lights? I want to steer clear of alkaleaks.

A 1D NiMH could be quite expensive and isn't supported by many battery chargers.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a AA Eneloop in mine with a D-size adapter. If I plan to use it for a while, I just drop a alkaleak D-cell in there, but I don't store it that way.

That's one of the great things about the Blaster 1D. It will run fine on a wide variety of cell sizes (AAA, AA, C, and D) with adapters.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The appeal for me of a 1D light is that with the proper adapters (which I already have), you can stuff anything from a AAA to a D cell in it. I've got a bunch of unmatched partially used batteries of various sizes and a 1D light could eventually consume them all.

If the 1D light is actually a pleasure to use, I'd use it more and therefore burn through my stash even faster (a good thing, really!).

--flatline

braddy

Enlightened
The D adapters work in the C9000, and would be able to charge two batteries at a time, which would be fine for your needs.

You could also buy that unsmart charger from Harbor Freight on sale for about 15 dollars.

Tenergy makes a good LSD D battery.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember Elektrolumens :)
I had two of them. This was back in 2004 or 2005 for sure, the first Luxeon 1 lights I think.

I would say a twisty 1C would be awesome
1D is just too big.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to have a 1D body that a Peak Logan head would thread into.....imagine the runtime, especially with a QTC pill installed.

where's some enterprising person with a lathe?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast