NEXTORCH        
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1D lights?

Default Re: 1D lights?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBruin View Post
    Wow, that that TLL is very cool. Just ordered one thanks to this thread.

I think you could make a little shroud that would keep it from blinding you. I might try my hand with some PVC.
    I got the TLL when it came out, the idea is great, but the execution prevents it from getting as much use as it should.
    Specifically: the ON function relies on the anodizing in the tailcap as an insulator, mine flashes ON as the cap is screwed on in a couple places so I know that the anodizing isn't perfect.
    Other manufacturers get around this by removing the tailcap from the equation by putting a PCB inside the tailcap that makes contact between the end of the battery tube and the PCB. Doesn't matter if the ano gets worn. I have minimized the wear and spurious contact points by putting some thick grease on the threads.
    Additionally the plastic diffuser dome is not an item offered as a replacement part in the event of breakage. This light is heavy, I suspect the dome wouldn't survive a drop on a hard surface. Hope I don't find out. A replacement kit with white and some other colors would be a great offering.
    On the plus side: It works as advertised, is easy to swap emitters, has a handy 1/4-20 receiver on the butt end, and comes in a nice tube for protecting it in transport.
    The lack of hotspot makes it nice for photography, we've used it camping - especially nice on the low mode, it also does well lighting up a room during a power outage if you place it up high and let the ceiling bounce light the room.

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Now everybody just hold on. That's a fine idea and all, the D01, but don't sit there & try to leap frog my AA version of it- I don't think fenix has made a single mode AA twisty since the civictor v1.
    Some one has done a D version of the E01, albeit with magnets and wire. I've been trying to do some 3D printing for my D cell light but access to 3D printing is not cheap.

In the mean time, here's an easy-ish AA conversion of an E01. Like to do a better job though ... using 3D printing ...

Flashaholic*

It's been 3+ years since this thread died. I'm sad to say that I never picked up a Lumintop SD10 before they disappeared. It's now super easy to find cheap 1D flashlights at hardware and grocery stores, but they're so tremendously poor quality that they don't survive long enough to use up the battery that they come with.

Now that we're approaching the end of 2017, is anyone aware of any decent multi-mode flashlights that can run on a single D cell?

--flatline

Flashaholic*

The reason why good ones don't exist is why? A single 18650 light will be much brighter and more ergonomic. Same for a 26650 light but even better runtime. Most people don't have NIMH d cells and a 3xAA for people not wanting lithium ion compatibility will also provide better brightness/runtime than a d as no need for inefficient boost circuit

One thing to keep in mind...
    Rayovac and Energizer are battery making companies who sells flashlights. Point being "sell batteries". 2 cell lights require 2x the batteries, therefore 2x the batteries sold vs a 1D light.
    Yeah a 1D would be great, but they never sold well due to brightness issues during the incan days. Kel-Lite did a 1D that took two half D cells to get the brightness of 2 batteries in series. It was about as popular as a tooth ache due to lack of batteries.
    (May have been done by LA Screw as well.)

I think some folks here have done Maglite 1D mods but that's for another day I suppose...
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    The appeal for me of a 1D light is that with the proper adapters (which I already have), you can stuff anything from a AAA to a D cell in it. I've got a bunch of unmatched partially used batteries of various sizes and a 1D light could eventually consume them all.

If the 1D light is actually a pleasure to use, I'd use it more and therefore burn through my stash even faster (a good thing, really!).

--flatline
    Burn em up as lanterns using AAA and AA lights... your Quark can do it (any battery chem/size).

It's always possible to have someone shorten and rethread a M*glite similar to these:

As you know, power is equal to voltage times current and since D cell alkaline maximum current capability is about 0.9 Amp (with acceptable capacity) and voltage of 1.2V under load so maximum wattage is about 1 watt (1.2x0.9=1.08) which is too low for 1D size and weight flashlight.
    Flashlight engineers can not increase current draw in order to get more power (wattage) so they increase voltage by adding number of cells like 2 cell, 3 cell and... which results longer and heavier flashlight. For example 3 cell has 3.6x0.9=3.24 watt.
    Remember, this statement is for primary alkaline cells which is readily available to average people with fair price.
    When you go with rechargeable cells like NiMH D size, then your voltage is still same but you can raise current to say 5 Amps which means 1.2x5=6 watt
    With new technology 26650 you can go even more while drawing same 5 Amps. 3.7x5=18.5 watt
    Another possibility is 2 serial 18650 and in this case: 7.4x5=37 watt.
    Obviously, each system has it's own good or bad points.
    Increasing current draw is also limited to switch capability and resistance of other electrical connections.
    Last edited by fivemega; 12-09-2017 at 07:49 PM.

I feel 1xAA lights have gotten to the point with output, efficiency, and multi modes that a 1D Mag with choice of emitter and reflector (smooth or LOP) would sell well enough to justify building them.

Flashaholic*

Those 1xaa lights require eneloops for their output. Same would be true for d cells

My Pelican 2350 (1xAA) puts out 175 lumens on alkalines or eneloops.
    175 lumens from a 52.xx mm Maglite head is pretty dawg gone bright considering. Something in the neighborhood of 40k+ candela... yeah, a 1D Maglite with an LED like the Pelican has would satisfy many-a consumer's flashlight needs with a train car load of runtime.

Scout, I fear a secret pact was made between LED makers and battery makers that around 1 hour of runtime on high output will satisfy the average person's thirst for brighter while selling more batteries and cooking LED's quicker. Speculation on my part, but history causes me to think it could be true....
    A few years ago "100,000" hours was the shout. Then "50,000"... now it's "30,000" or even "10,000" in some cases.

I also noticed Maglite's newest stuff does not include batteries. Due to rechargeables taking over the battery makers are hemorraging $ and Mag's market is steadily shrinking... so I also speculate whatever pact those 2 once had has turned into "you're on your own brutha"...
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-10-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

I was thinking Fivemega, in the spirit of his "What's Missing" threads... A stubbier shorty Mag, either alkaline D cells, Eneloop adapters, etc. They wouldn't be cheap, but multimode, 100lm on high with three 'Loops or Energizer lithium primaries if you didn't want to run a D cell? Dang. Tailstand like a champ for ceiling bounce, runtime measured in "how many power outages since we changed those cells?" and I'd be picking out colors.

It's been 3+ years since this thread died. I'm sad to say that I never picked up a Lumintop SD10 before they disappeared. It's now super easy to find cheap 1D flashlights at hardware and grocery stores, but they're so tremendously poor quality that they don't survive long enough to use up the battery that they come with.

Now that we're approaching the end of 2017, is anyone aware of any decent multi-mode flashlights that can run on a single D cell?

--flatline
    Lumintop SD4A may run with 1xD >> https://www.banggood.com/Lumintop-SD...p-1046678.html

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    My Pelican 2350 (1xAA) puts out 175 lumens on alkalines or eneloops.
    175 lumens from a 52.xx mm Maglite head is pretty dawg gone bright considering. Something in the neighborhood of 40k+ candela... yeah, a 1D Maglite with an LED like the Pelican has would satisfy many-a consumer's flashlight needs with a train car load of runtime.

Scout, I fear a secret pact was made between LED makers and battery makers that around 1 hour of runtime on high output will satisfy the average person's thirst for brighter while selling more batteries and cooking LED's quicker. Speculation on my part, but history causes me to think it could be true....
    A few years ago "100,000" hours was the shout. Then "50,000"... now it's "30,000" or even "10,000" in some cases.

I also noticed Maglite's newest stuff does not include batteries. Due to rechargeables taking over the battery makers are hemorraging $ and Mag's market is steadily shrinking... so I also speculate whatever pact those 2 once had has turned into "you're on your own brutha"...
    Interesting. Didn't think an alkaline could put out that much current
    Last edited by vicv; 12-10-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by puglife View Post
    That's a cool light. Wish I could find that as a host. Wonder what the output would be on a D cell. 150-200 lumens probably

Dude..........this would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBruin View Post
    Fenix should make a "D01". Just like the E01 but with a D cell. Can you imagine? Tough, simple, efficient. Light for days.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    A stubbier shorty Mag, either alkaline D cells, Eneloop adapters, etc. They wouldn't be cheap, but multimode, 100lm on high with three 'Loops or Energizer lithium primaries if you didn't want to run a D cell? Dang. Tailstand like a champ for ceiling bounce,
    Did you mean something like this?
    Or
    this?
    Perhaps
    this?
    Last edited by fivemega; 12-14-2017 at 12:52 AM.

After 10 Years of looking i manged to find an 1D flashlight in the UK, only One Direction PROBLEM

And CPF is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1D-FLASHL...oAAOSwWxNYudsJ

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Had me going there for a bit, John.
    P
    I'm looking for a Moddoolar Wasp Head and Tube. Please let me know if you can help.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...99#post5153399

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by puglife View Post
    I've got one of these coming. I saw some older reviews that said that 1D operation stops working shortly after receiving the light, but the more recent reviews seem positive. Hopefully Lumintop has improved the boost circuit since those older reviews were written.

--flatline

Why are 1D flashlight only available from the the US, None of the Asia sellers have them, and the shipping from the US for 1x 1D flashlight is like £15-£17 on eBay just for shipping.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    Why are 1D flashlight only available from the the US, None of the Asia sellers have them, and the shipping from the US for 1x 1D flashlight is like £15-£17 on eBay just for shipping.
    1D cells are rare and expensive in Asia, hence not much use/demand compared to AA as far as "stock" lights go.
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

With todays improved technology 1D lights are not as needed. LEDs have come a long way since the first 1D LED lights. I've converted 4AA lights with cartridges to LED and 1D use and also have bought 1D energizer garden lanterns plus some older 1D plastic energizer lights that I bought to harvest the PR base dropins for other incan lights. Energizer has updated its 1D LED offerings several times from dropin PR base bulbs to integrated 5mm with optics to now SMD LED with designed reflectors but these are still just a step up from what I consider "disposable" lights. The fact that you can put 3-4 AAs in the size of a D cell and can use rechargeables or lithium AAs and bypass the chance of leakage ruining the light I see little need for a 1D cell light other than what Energizer is making, the engineering to make a higher quality multimode 1D sized light would be a lot better suited for better battery selections like 3/4AA, 18650 or larger even.
    Last edited by Lynx_Arc; 12-14-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    With todays improved technology 1D lights are not as needed.
    Oh, I agree with all of that, but I think some of us are coming at it from the other direction.

It's not that we want a great light, and are thinking a 1D would be a good way to provide it.

It's that we have spare 1D cells lying around, and would like to use them up.

Ideally, in a low-intensity, vampire/cockroach unit. Something that would put out 0.5 lumens for months and months on end, for instance.

Or the "Fenix D01" idea--a tough, low output light in the 10 lumen range that would last for weeks.

I, too, wish there were a light in this niche.

Actually, I would be happy with a simple cylinder that let me drop in a 1D cell. Then it has a threaded cap on the top that is pre-tapped for a Fenix E01 head.

You thread your E01 head in there, and you have your D01 just like that. Lasts about 10 times as long, which is pretty long to begin with.

I would far rather have that than going for a stubbier Maglite--I don't want the high-output, or the reflector, or the variable focus. Just a simple, reliable cockroach that will run on my left-over D-cells.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    Oh, I agree with all of that, but I think some of us are coming at it from the other direction.

It's not that we want a great light, and are thinking a 1D would be a good way to provide it.

Ideally, in a low-intensity, vampire/cockroach unit. Something that would put out 0.5 lumens for months and months on end, for instance.

Or the "Fenix D01" idea--a tough, low output light in the 10 lumen range that would last for weeks.

Actually, I would be happy with a simple cylinder that let me drop in a 1D cell. Then it has a threaded cap on the top that is pre-tapped for a Fenix E01 head.

You thread your E01 head in there, and you have your D01 just like that. Lasts about 10 times as long, which is pretty long to begin with.

I would far rather have that than going for a stubbier Maglite--I don't want the high-output, or the reflector, or the variable focus. Just a simple, reliable cockroach that will run on my left-over D-cells.
    My battery drainer was comprised of battery holder(s) and a variable resistor and an ammeter and maybe a boost circuit that way when the batteries puked I didn't have a damaged light to deal with.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I've got one of these coming. I saw some older reviews that said that 1D operation stops working shortly after receiving the light, but the more recent reviews seem positive. Hopefully Lumintop has improved the boost circuit since those older reviews were written.

--flatline
    I hope you will do a review
    Last edited by puglife; 12-15-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Lumintop SD10 has been a reliable 1D flashlight, I know it can take a lithium battery but I bought it to run a D cell
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    With todays improved technology 1D lights are not as needed.
    Needed by whom and for what purpose?
    Or free D cell supplied by company.
    Last edited by fivemega; 12-15-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Yes, these have been done in various forms ... like the milky candle, or wquiles joule thief, etc

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Thief-circuits
    ... is the archimedes peak

Well, I broke down yesterday at Home Depot and spent $2.98 on an Eveready 1D plastic light. Same size as the 2D basically, but with a giant spring and a pedestal inside for lack of a better word to stop the battery from dropping in further than intended. Plastic lens, stippled plastic reflector, the switch action is suprisingly decent. Tailstands, has anti-roll, and is very lightweight. About twice as bright as my E01, I'm going to do a runtime test on it. I'm sure it's not regulated, and it will dim over time. EVE3151 is the model number. Mine's a spiffy red one. I came close to getting the 2-pack for $5.00, but they're not flying off the shelves and I figured there may be a few left if it seems decent...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Well, I broke down yesterday at Home Depot and spent $2.98 on an Eveready 1D plastic light. Same size as the 2D basically, but with a giant spring and a pedestal inside for lack of a better word to stop the battery from dropping in further than intended. Plastic lens, stippled plastic reflector, the switch action is suprisingly decent. Tailstands, has anti-roll, and is very lightweight. About twice as bright as my E01, I'm going to do a runtime test on it. I'm sure it's not regulated, and it will dim over time. EVE3151 is the model number. Mine's a spiffy red one. I came close to getting the 2-pack for $5.00, but they're not flying off the shelves and I figured there may be a few left if it seems decent...
    I have the first generation of that light with the PR base dropin and slide switch and have been somewhat tempted to get the current generation for the SMD led and boost circuit to tinker with and yes the switch is a decent one now (clicky). The PR base dropin I put in several incan lights using 2AA nimh batteries so the voltage overdrive is less and it works fine but some folks have had them go poof using 2AA. I recall that Energizer makes an actual 1D plastic light, not a converted 2D shell but the only way to buy them I found was some sort of light package with other lights maybe a 6v lantern and other D lights I can't remember.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast