Jetbeam        
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1D lights?

Default Re: 1D lights?

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    Hmm...direct drive is less interesting to me, but the 2AA form factor is nice for the kids. Perhaps I'll pick up a set.

--flatline

Most 2 cell eveready LEDs seem to be direct drive - including the 2 or 4D Readyflex lantern and 2 or 4 AA flashlight (about the same size as the 1D). I personally don't like it because they go dim with about 75% of the alkaline batteries power remaining and they won't run bright on NiMh's/eneloops at all unless maybe they are hot off of the charger.

"There's no specific definition of a battery vampire light...."
    A light that lights up when most won't on a given "dead battery", and that reliably, or frequently Pops the battery as it over discharges, and keeps providing light.
    The ultimate battery vampire would have a corrosion proofed interior, thick gold plating, plastic battery tube, etc.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    The ultimate battery vampire would have a corrosion proofed interior, thick gold plating, plastic battery tube, etc.
    Sadly, all of the photos are now gone, but this was as close as I've yet seen here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...attery-vampire

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-picture-heavy
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    I did some testing with my 1D Eveready and got the following with “dead” alkaline C cells:

0.48V would not light up.

0.75-0.79V lit up at about 1 lumen, maybe less.

0.95-1.10V roughly 2 lumens.

1.19V approx. 5 lumens.

All Voltages are open circuit (not under load). Lumens are my guesstimates.

For comparison, an AA Eneloop at 1.32V in a AA to D adapter seems to light up at the full 25 lumens or thereabouts.

I have a one of their 2AA's (came in a pack with a similar 2D) from home depot.......if this is the same one, it is direct drive and won't run bright with cells below about 1.4 V each, but will probably run for a really long time at a few lumens.
    This is about as good as it gets as there really isn't much left in an alkaline battery below 0.7v to power a boost circuit. Back when the Dorcy 1AAA came out with an integrated boost circuit it pretty much mirrored the same voltages/output but had a less efficient LED.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    This is about as good as it gets as there really isn't much left in an alkaline battery below 0.7v to power a boost circuit. Back when the Dorcy 1AAA came out with an integrated boost circuit it pretty much mirrored the same voltages/output but had a less efficient LED.
    I'm old enough to remember when a fresh battery in the Maglite Solitaire only gave about 3 lumens and a 2D industrial flashlight gave 5 - 10 ugly orange lumens.

Now we can get 1-2 lumens out of a "dead" battery.

We've come a long way.

--flatline

Great link archimedes, even without the pics.
    Thanks.

Great link archimedes, even without the pics.
    Thanks.
    Just wish important threads like those weren't broken ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Just wish important threads like those weren't broken ...
    If you use Firefox you can use this plugin below to see the broken photobucket pictures, Chrome has a plugin as well supposedly.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...t-fix/?src=api

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    If you use Firefox you can use this plugin below to see the broken photobucket pictures, Chrome has a plugin as well supposedly.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...t-fix/?src=api

John.
    Works great! Thanks for the link!

--flatline

I'm old enough to remember when a fresh battery in the Maglite Solitaire only gave about 3 lumens and a 2D industrial flashlight gave 5 - 10 ugly orange lumens.

Now we can get 1-2 lumens out of a "dead" battery.

We've come a long way.

--flatline
    Todays AA LED lights blow away decades ago 3D incans
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Any truth to incans penetrating fog/mist maybe smoke better than led, might be important for firefighter.

John
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Any truth to incans penetrating fog/mist maybe smoke better than led, might be important for firefighter.

John
    Longer wavelengths of light penetrate dust, particulate, fog, etc... (or maybe they wave and bend around them?)
    Dust makes sunsets red by blocking more of the shorter wavelengths...
    I've never had a really, really warm led light, I think 3,500 Kelvin is about the warmest led I have - other than an old red 5mm led and maybe an amber Photon I kicking around somewhere, but you can get modern high power led lights in the 2,500 Kelvin temp, as well as high powered Amber leds which have much better color rendering than red, but still have the peak of their light emission at 595nm, which is pretty long wavelength, close to red.

These, and the very warm white 2500K leds should penetrate as well or better than any of the old incandescent lights, both due to their frequencies, and by being brighter as well.
    Last edited by eh4; 01-01-2018 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post

I thought it was pretty good considering that these were dead batteries fished out of a recycle bin and weren't even D cells, but C's (which happen to work in this light) - I'm sure the Voltage on these cells dropped like a stone as soon as they were under load. It might be nice to have couple of these around during an extended power outage to get some light out of D, C and AA (with adapter) cells that are too dead to run anything else.

Aside from this I can't say these Eveready 1D's are all that impressive. Let's face it they are cheap $3 lights and most of us probably already have something better on our key rings.
    Last edited by xxo; 01-02-2018 at 02:28 PM.

I have an PR2 led bulb that will run from 1-6 cells, I wan to see long it will run on an single cell (how low the voltage will go), So i am looking for an hobby PR2 bulb holder, but all i can find is screw in type.

John.

...Aside from this I can't say these Eveready 1D's are all that impressive. Let's face it they are cheap $3 lights and most of us probably already have something better on our key rings.
    Oh, totally agree. I would never EDC a light that was this crappy (even if the size was not an issue). But cheap has its uses, too, and it even has its charms.

Flashaholic*

Aside from this I can't say these Eveready 1D's are all that impressive. Let's face it they are cheap $3 lights and most of us probably already have something better on our key rings.
    I can't speak for anybody else, but in my case, this light fills a gap in my collection. Specifically, I wanted a light that I can safely feed partially used D and C cells without worrying. That these lights turned out to be battery vampires with amazing run time is just icing on the cake.

Similarly, I can hand one of these lights to someone without having to explain the UI and at $3, I don't care if I don't get it back.

But I totally agree that these lights won't replace anything I EDC or even the beaters I keep in my vehicle or garage.

--flatline

Tinderbox,
    take a large paperclip and bend it into a "c" shape with one end additionally bent around the neck of the PR bulb.
    - that'll allow you to put the PR bulb through the small loop, and use the larger c curve to reach the negative end of the battery. -if you use a bit longer and better wire you can make it fancy with a larger ring bent at the neg end instead of a hook so it'll tail stand.

Flashaholic*

I have an PR2 led bulb that will run from 1-6 cells, I wan to see long it will run on an single cell (how low the voltage will go), So i am looking for an hobby PR2 bulb holder, but all i can find is screw in type.

John.
    just use a 2D light with a dummy cell
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    just use a 2D light with a dummy cell
    Out of curiosity, what do most folks use as a dummy cell?

I see them online for $5 or $6, but I would expect most folks here who need one have some trick for making them rather than purchasing them online.

--flatline

Well, it's still making light but it's below "HDS level 1" light output. Sometime between yesterday morning and now. Call it 430+/- hours I guess. For the money, a winner. Next, I'm going for a thumb workout, I'm going to see if the switch will hold up. Looking for 500 cycles. I've unlocked a couple Novatacs, so this should not be too hard. If it holds up to 500 cycles, I'm going to go buy another one.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Well, it's still making light but it's below "HDS level 1" light output. Sometime between yesterday morning and now. Call it 430+/- hours I guess. For the money, a winner. Next, I'm going for a thumb workout, I'm going to see if the switch will hold up. Looking for 500 cycles. I've unlocked a couple Novatacs, so this should not be too hard. If it holds up to 500 cycles, I'm going to go buy another one.
    Have you seen any flickering at all? Or has the output been steady this whole time?

--flatline

I can't speak for anybody else, but in my case, this light fills a gap in my collection. Specifically, I wanted a light that I can safely feed partially used D and C cells without worrying. That these lights turned out to be battery vampires with amazing run time is just icing on the cake.

Similarly, I can hand one of these lights to someone without having to explain the UI and at $3, I don't care if I don't get it back.

But I totally agree that these lights won't replace anything I EDC or even the beaters I keep in my vehicle or garage.

--flatline

That's pretty much my view as well, I just didn't want to talk it up too much so that people here ran out and got one and were disappointed.......great for being cheap/easily replaceable and for vampiring single D and C cells though. If anyone here is looking for an impressive budget light, I would suggest, for example, the 300 lumen $10 Rayovac 2AA Indestructible (preferably running Eneloops) over this light.

Flashaholic*

That's pretty much my view as well, I just didn't want to talk it up too much so that people here ran out and got one and were disappointed.......great for being cheap/easily replaceable and for vampiring single D and C cells though. If anyone here is looking for an impressive budget light, I would suggest, for example, the 300 lumen $10 Rayovac 2AA Indestructible (preferably running Eneloops) over this light.

No argument here. This is a $3 light. It's a fantastic value for a $3 light, but it's still a $3 light.

BTW, I picked up a Rayovac 2AA Indestructible this xmas. Nice light for $10. It's actually the brightest light I currently own.

--flatline

...the 300 lumen $10 Rayovac 2AA Indestructible (preferably running Eneloops) over this light.
    300 lumens, runs on rechargeable AA's, costs $10. Amazing.

When I bought my first high-end flashlight, it was a 6P original back in 1990 or 1991.

About 100 lumens. Used up two expensive CR123s in a few hours. Cost me about $90.

And I thought it was the most marvelous thing on earth.

The world may be going to hell in twelve different ways, but lights are getting cheaper and brighter and more efficient.

It's something to celebrate.

Have you seen any flickering at all? Or has the output been steady this whole time?

--flatline
    Flatline- No flickering, rock steady. And, by the way, it passed my 500 click switch test with flying colors. (With a new cell, under power.) I'm going to pick up a two-pack next HD run...

I see them online for $5 or $6, but I would expect most folks here who need one have some trick for making them rather than purchasing them online.

--flatline
    A rolled up cylinder of tinfoil?

Flashaholic*

A rolled up cylinder of tinfoil?
    That would work. In the past I've cut dowels to length and wrapped them in foil, but I was just curious if there were any better tricks.

--flatline

Flashaholic*

--flatline
    years ago I made one from a couple of pvc pipe caps and a brass nut and bolt cut to length.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Flashaholic*

Well, I thought I was getting a Lumintop SD4A flashlight as a xmas present from my wife, but she opted to get me a practice longsword instead (not complaining!).

Oh well.

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    years ago I made one from a couple of pvc pipe caps and a brass nut and bolt cut to length.
    A fancy, high amp dummy cell could be made as you did, but using thick copper wire, or maybe thin copper pipe.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast