M3T KT4 MN15 MN16 & N2-measurements & observations

rlhess

Enlightened
Well, no time for beamshots, but I am impressed with the KT4 turbohead for my L6 (Same light as the M3). The turbohead is the same head that comes on the M3T, M4, and M6 as far as I know.
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Here are the first results of the testing:

KL6 approx 1,600 cd
MN-15 11,000 cd, oval beam some side spill
MN-16 13,000 cd, almost round beam, some side spill
N-2 16,000 cd, no side spill, small and round

The approx throw distances for the following illumination:

1fc 0.1fc 0.01fc (full moon)
MN-15 105 332 1050
MN-16 114 361 1140
N-2 127 400 1270

The total light output (according to Surefire) for reference:
MN-15 125 lumens
MN-16 225 lumens
N-2 105 lumens
KL-6 approx 65 lumens
</pre><hr />

So this becomes a downright usable combination <smile>, especially with my custom-made rear "lens cap" for the unused device (and no, my source doesn't want to make any more, sorry) and the SC2s for batteries and lamps.

ADDED 9:36PM:

Well, I spent a few minutes playing outside with these lights. The N2 is about the same in the KT4 and the SRTH. The KT4 is perhaps a hair wider. I guess the AR Pyrex accounts for the slight increase in brightness...or measurement tolerences.

The SRTH with the N2 has the least side spill, followed by the N2 in the KT4.

The KT4 with the MN15 has more side spill yet but still nicely lights up the pine trees that are probably 150 feet plus to the top. In fact, I like the oblong light as you can light up more in one direction without losing those lumens to make a circle.

The SL TL3 is the widest of these and has the least throw (but not a bad thrower, nonetheless) The Mag 6D's spot with the new Xenon lamp is still so small in comparison that although its candela measurement is up there, its usefulness is less--and its huge--but it's got run time going for it.

Finally, the MN16 blows away the rest of these. Its got spill and lots of light. The whole top of the pine tree was brightly illuminated by the MN16--of course, you only get about 20 minutes of run time with it, but if you need LIGHT, it's great.

I think I'll leave the MN15 in the KT4 and put the N2 and MN16 in two SC2s with a dozen cells and that will accompany the L6 as my travel light in my shoulder bag.

So one big body with two interchangeable heads, and my older E2e with the KL1 for long run time.

Happy Holidays, all!

Cheers,

Richard

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
Good post. Must have missed it over the busy holiday. How does the kl6 compare to the SL TL-3, or does it compete at all? BTW, Ilike your site; useful info and well organized /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

rlhess

Enlightened
The KL-6 does not throw as far as the TL-3.

I have since put up photos[ url=http://www.richardhess.com/cpf/shootout1.jpg]on my Web site.[/url]

By the way, thanks for the nice comments about my Web site. No comparison to Flashlightreviews.com , just a quick set of thoughts on what I think are the best lights out there.

Cheers,

Richard