• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Eiger / Eiger X Protected Lithium cells

thunberg

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought an Eiger and am running it with an Eneloop. Build quality and UI are both superb, but coming from a Preon 2 I'm disappointed with the output as it appears to be in the ~60 lumen range vs ~190 lumens with the two cell Preon 2.

It looks like the Eiger X may be a better fit, but my question is whether any of the PCB protected lithium cells will fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
My Eiger w/keychain lug from Oveready has just enough space to fit an unprotected blue wrapper trustfire 10440 with the QTC in place. Fraction of a mm longer and the O-Ring wouldn't seal. Also gets hot very quickly when operating at full whack and I don't find the QTC mechanism as smooth as using AAA Eneloop.

If you live in the States, you could get a 2xAAA body from em-mgt for NiMh based higher output.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Voltage is everything when higher output is desired. Eneloops typically start out well below 1.5v; Energizer Lithiums usually start out at around 1.7v; 10440's, although nominally 3.7v actually charge up to 4.2v. Any two cell penlight body will allow for voltage between 2.4v and 3.4v. A single Eneloop will not provide the juice needed to take advantage of the full performance capabilities of the Eiger. I'm a huge fan of the Eiger penlight body loaded with Energizers - or any AAA's for that matter. But for real LIGHT go with a single 10440 (two of these in a penlight will fry it). As for length, 10440's vary quite a bit. Read up on the many precautionary posts before using Lithium Ion 10440 batteries and chargers.

thunberg

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the reply. I'm aware of the concerns regarding 10440 batteries, that's why I'm specifically asking if anyone has experience running protected (with a small PCB at one end) lithium cells in an eiger body.

Latest posts