Surefire Lanyard Self Releases

frankg

Newly Enlightened
I haven't found any recent discussion on this topic, but I think there is a simple fix to this problem. In the past several people on the forum have mentioned that, if you twist your flashlight a certain way, the hook that Surefire provides with its lanyards will release from the wire ring that is around the barrel of the flashlight. I have experienced this problem myself, and it can occur regardless of whether the pocket clip is on the flashlight or not.

A simple way to prevent this is to attach a 3/4" split ring (split key ring) on the wire ring that goes around the barrel of the flashlight. A split ring that is this diameter or larger can't push the hook's gate open. Note the split ring can be darkened by putting it in the cold blue that is used to blue small gun parts.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally remove Surefire's split ring/clasp altogether, and thread the paracord inside the lanyard ring itself. It's quiet (no metal banging around) with zero chance of it detaching by mistake.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
SF lanyard kits come with a split ring and can be configured like so:

LanAttach.jpg

frankg

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if ElectronGuru's solution would fix the problem that I described. The ring that comes with the Surefire lanyard is small enough and thin enough that, when the wire ring on the flashlight is twisted relative to the lanyard hook, the ring can slip under the gate on the hook. The trick is to use a ring that is made of heavier material and is thick enough so that it is very difficult or impossible for it to slip under the gate.

I think cland72 may have the best solution of all. Removing the wire ring from the flashlight's body is simple and quick when you want to remove the lanyard.

I appreciate all of the feedback.
Thanks again
frankg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's call roll out. Google "carabiner roll out" and you see why this happens. Basically your are applying force to a non self locking gate. If you do any industrial or recreational climbing this is one of the first things you learn!

kelmo

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I experienced this issue with McGizmo clips as well. I have most of my lanyards threaded with paracord directly to the notch on the ring as Chris described above. It really works well.

frankg

Newly Enlightened
One possible solution to this issue is to use a different method to connect the lanyard to the ring that goes around the flashlight's body.

http://optechusa.com/utility-loop.html

The website above shows how to attach the loop to a camera. Use the same approach to connect the "Utility Loop" through the ring around the flashlight's body. And then again use the same approach to attach a loop in the lanyard to the "Utility Loop".

This solution also gives you the ability to change lanyards without removing the "Utility Loop". And with this solution there are no metal clips, rings, etc coming in contact with the flashlight's finish.

Note OP TECH has several other types of connectors that you might prefer over the one above.
frankg

scout24

Flashaholic
Not until you reach for something you thought was secure that is now not there... :) I temporarily lost a Mako on my keys in exactly this manner a couple of years ago. Nothing like that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach...

Latest posts