New Battery Worthwhile?

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
In AA size batteries we have 1.2 Volt NiMh, and NiCad rechargeables and 1.5 V Alkaline and Lithium Iron primary cells as well as 1.7V NiZn rechargeables. We also have the 14500 3.7V Lithium Ion rechargeable cells. This is quite a range but what I do not see is an A size primary cell using the Lithium 3.0 volt chemistry as used in CR123A and CR2 batteries. Considering the wide range of AA size batteries and their voltage outputs I wonder why no one is marketing this size and voltage batteries. Would this be a useful size and output option or only of appeal to some flashlight nuts?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how useful this type of battery is. But it IS available, and it's called a CRAA.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-cr14505-craa--3v.html

They're very useful in light that can take either aa/14500 like the quark light. Even on 14500 they put out the same lumens as if they were powered by a cr123a cell. So you can have a light with higher brightness with the same longevity and other advantages of lithium primary cells but with a aa form factor. Also lithium primary cells are actually lithium manganese dioxide. Not lithium iron. Lithium iron are lifepo4 cells which is another rechargeable aa chemistry

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the CRAA is a great cell and the one I use when off grid (eg, camping) with a Quark (I use 14500s otherwise). In addition to the high voltage output, total watt-hrs of energy, and even efficiency (it's closer to Vf), a big plus for me over a CR123 is that the CRAA can also be used to power my other 2AA camping gadgets - just need to make a dummy cell with a piece of tinfoil.

Not many lights can run them well though.... the SC52 idiot proof battery meter won't work on any high mode, the S15 and Atom AA physical polarity protection won't accept the wide flat button top (although a small magnetic disk works), D25As (and most other AAs) lower modes all shift on high voltage, and the El Cap's battery crusher design risks cell deformation. Not sure about IV mag ring lights though.

So for now, it unfortunately looks like the CRAA might remain a bit of a niche product with a monopolist supply :(

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally you are wishing to complicate the hobby even more.Professional users may well benefit but hobby users can well manage on a standard AA cell from the local Tesco as many only use there lights to walk the dog,go camping once or twice a year or to pose in front of the neighbours.