Klarus        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 205

Thread: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

  1. #91

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    I am new to 18650 batteries. If I used a Xtar VP2 charger with quality protected 18650 batteries such as AWs or Orbtronics, would I need to buy a voltmeter? Sorry if this question has been asked before.

  2. #92
    Flashaholic* IsaacL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    39.9628 N, 76.7281 W
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Not per se. But they are nice to have and fairly cheap compared to the cost of a VP2 and AW cells...
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

  3. #93
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    4,765

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by LesSaucier View Post
    I am new to 18650 batteries. If I used a Xtar VP2 charger with quality protected 18650 batteries such as AWs or Orbtronics, would I need to buy a voltmeter? Sorry if this question has been asked before.
    You should buy/own one, even a cheaper model, just so you can check runtime vs. voltage on any/all of your cells and lights.

    Get a mental picture of what your light(s) will do on low, medium or high to your cell(s,) after say 15 minutes, 30, or 60?

    IMO, a prudent person playing with li-ion cells will always have a DMM.

    Hell, owning a DMM is the same to me at least, as owning a hammer, screwdriver, pliers and a tape measure, et al..

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

  4. #94

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Thanks for the experienced advise.

  5. #95
    Flashaholic* IsaacL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    39.9628 N, 76.7281 W
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    @ChrisGarrett, you nailed it
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

  6. #96

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Finally broke down and bought one of these! I always figured I would save myself $35 and keep using WP2II and measure voltage with my DMM, but that got old. I will downgrade that to my emergency bag in my car in case I ever need to charge away from home. Plus, I may eventually get into some 4.35v cells.
    GOOD TINT!

  7. #97
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,756

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Great choice Mark,cracking charger,as for 4.35v cells you do get a noticeable benefit as long as not in high drain uses as not IMR. Used in single cell lights(or mods on low V) a noticeable extra run time of 10-15% can be had So for standard lights ZL etc they will give you some benefit.

  8. #98
    Flashaholic* ChrisGarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    4,765

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Finally broke down and bought one of these! I always figured I would save myself $35 and keep using WP2II and measure voltage with my DMM, but that got old. I will downgrade that to my emergency bag in my car in case I ever need to charge away from home. Plus, I may eventually get into some 4.35v cells.
    Same with me. I wanted the VP1 in a bad way, but just couldn't justify the extra $50 above and beyond what my WP2 II was doing for me. Heck...it would have been cheaper just to buy an extra WP2 II charger, but I didn't really have a need for that.

    Then the VP2 came out and 'I was saved.' Even with the hassle of having a recall, it's really a full featured and flexible charger. 4.35v capability is probably my #1 reason, followed by the 250mA charging rate and finally, the LiFePO4 capability, even though I have no Li-Po cells.

    I've got a nicely functioning NC i4 v.2 here, if I need to charge up 4 cells at once (I do have a SupFire M6 and 4 Samsung 25Rs coming,) so I'm not itching to run out and buy a VP4, but I'll probably just charge them up on either both my Xtar chargers, or only on the VP2 and call it a day.

    Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

  9. #99

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Yeah I passed on the VP4 since only two slots can do 1A. That's all I ever use, except for my one 14500 cell. So that wouldn't do me any good. And no 4.35v charging.
    GOOD TINT!

  10. #100

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    I received this quicky and put it to work. I understand the voltage while charging reads higher than the actual, but I was disappointed to find how much higher.

    I was charging two NCR18650B and the voltage was around 4.10v on the charger. When taken off and measured on my DMM, it quickly dropped to 3.99v. Another at 4.18v dropped to 4.10v. So definitely not as useful as I wished, but I guess better than nothing with my WP2II.
    GOOD TINT!

  11. #101
    Flashaholic* IsaacL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    39.9628 N, 76.7281 W
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    When receiving current, voltage will always be higher than tested without load. Similarly, when the cells are under load, the voltage will be lower. The charger only checks the OC (open circuit voltage) when you first put the cells in the charger (the lights will flash for 3-5 seconds). For example, you could have a cell that reads 3.9V in the light, 4.0V when you take it out, and 4.10V quickly after you put it in the charger. All these voltage readings are "correct". But you need to know the condition of the circuit and the direction of load, otherwise voltage doesn't mean much.

    If you want to use the VP2 as a DMM, check the reading when you first put the cells in the charger (before the LCD battery "bars" start to cycle), or take the cells out for a few seconds and then put them back in.

    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I received this quicky and put it to work. I understand the voltage while charging reads higher than the actual, but I was disappointed to find how much higher.

    I was charging two NCR18650B and the voltage was around 4.10v on the charger. When taken off and measured on my DMM, it quickly dropped to 3.99v. Another at 4.18v dropped to 4.10v. So definitely not as useful as I wished, but I guess better than nothing with my WP2II.
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

  12. #102
    Flashaholic* RI Chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean State
    Posts
    3,589

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Did you let the charger go until the cycle was finished? My cells come off of my VP1 at 4.19 v's like clockwork. They usually only dip down to about 4.17 to 4.18v's after sitting for a little bit.

  13. #103
    Flashaholic* IsaacL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    39.9628 N, 76.7281 W
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    Did you let the charger go until the cycle was finished? My cells come off of my VP1 at 4.19 v's like clockwork. They usually only dip down to about 4.17 to 4.18v's after sitting for a little bit.
    I don't think so based on his readings. The only time the charger displays OC voltage is before it starts charging and after it terminates the charge.
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

  14. #104
    Flashaholic* RI Chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean State
    Posts
    3,589

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Mark:

    Put the cells in the charger again and let it go full cycle to the end and see what you get for readings.

  15. #105
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,229

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    Mark:

    Put the cells in the charger again and let it go full cycle to the end and see what you get for readings.
    Maybe he was purposely trying to undercharge the cells. Some guys like to charge to say 4.10 for sake of longevity. Just a guess.

  16. #106

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Maybe he was purposely trying to undercharge the cells. Some guys like to charge to say 4.10 for sake of longevity. Just a guess.
    Yes this was my intent. I always remove my cells around 4.10v or so. I understand the voltage is higher while charging, but I was hoping this number would be very close to the voltage when removed. Basically, I wished to cut my DMM out of the picture while charging. No issues with the charger; just a little different than what I expected even after reading reviews.

    Maybe one issue: it's very hard to get the 18650 cells in and out. The spring is very strong, and it's hard to aling the cell perfectly. If it isn't alinged, I notice the voltage reading jumps around and is incorrect (3.8v OTC shows 4.19v from the start in the charger). I guess I'm used to my WP2II which holds the battery perfectly.
    GOOD TINT!

  17. #107
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,756

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    I used armytek grease on the slides as i did on my i4 which makes them run smoother and less chance of a cell being fired out at you when removing

  18. #108

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    I used armytek grease on the slides as i did on my i4 which makes them run smoother and less chance of a cell being fired out at you when removing
    Thanks Ven, I may try something like that. It's really hard to get a grip on the battery - it's not deep, there's just too much plastic casing in the way.
    GOOD TINT!

  19. #109
    Flashaholic* RI Chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean State
    Posts
    3,589

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    I lubed my VP1 also. It should not be that difficult to get the batteries in or out.
    Can I ask why you pull the batteries out of the charger early? I always thought it was a good thing to get a full charge out of the Li-Ion cells, as long as the charge does not go over 4.2v's. That is why I really like the VP1/VP2. Because it terminated right at 4.19v.

  20. #110
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    8,388

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    ....
    Can I ask why you pull the batteries out of the charger early? I always thought it was a good thing to get a full charge out of the Li-Ion cells, as long as the charge does not go over 4.2v's. That is why I really like the VP1/VP2. Because it terminated right at 4.19v.
    Charging to sub-maximal voltage will generally increase the number of cycles for a cell, at the expense (of course) of capacity.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  21. #111

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Charging to sub-maximal voltage will generally increase the number of cycles for a cell, at the expense (of course) of capacity.
    That, and also because many of my lights sit without much use but I want them ready to go when needed. I feel better keeping them around 4.10-4.15v, which still gives me plenty of runtime. At only $7 per cell, it may not be worth the trouble, but I do it anyway.
    GOOD TINT!

  22. #112
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    8,388

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That, and also because many of my lights sit without much use but I want them ready to go when needed. I feel better keeping them around 4.10-4.15v, which still gives me plenty of runtime. At only $7 per cell, it may not be worth the trouble, but I do it anyway.
    Yes, storage at a higher state-of-charge will also accelerate permanent capacity loss ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

  23. #113
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,229

    Default Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    I'd suggest getting a feel for the timing after the charger gets to 4.20. You could leave the cells in 15 or 20 minutes and then take a measurement of the cells resting voltage. Usually they still take a good while to charge fully (green light) after it hits 4.20.
    Last edited by Slumber Pass; 09-16-2014 at 09:32 AM.

  24. #114
    Flashaholic* RI Chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean State
    Posts
    3,589

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Charging to sub-maximal voltage will generally increase the number of cycles for a cell, at the expense (of course) of capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That, and also because many of my lights sit without much use but I want them ready to go when needed. I feel better keeping them around 4.10-4.15v, which still gives me plenty of runtime. At only $7 per cell, it may not be worth the trouble, but I do it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yes, storage at a higher state-of-charge will also accelerate permanent capacity loss ...
    OK. Thank you.

  25. #115
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,756

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    I find once about 4.15 and remove,after 10-20 mins the settle down to around 4.1 ish Same with the 4.2 charge,every time shows 4.19,once removed it drops to 4.17 imho 0.2 difference to 4.15 is not worth the effort. Still using cells many years of hard life,some daily charged for 2 years easy and still issue free. By the time they dont hold charge i just replace,just not time or cost effective to go ott on the V. Make sure around 3.6v/3.7v stored if longer than 3 months,other than that enjoy and replace with better cells that come out a lot sooner than they get tired.

    As said,soon as put cell in that is the V reading,i find it very accurate

  26. #116
    Flashaholic* RI Chevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean State
    Posts
    3,589

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    I agree with you ven. I just charge them to the 4.19v, and then use them. If they need replacing, then I will replace them. But for now, my 2 and 3 year old cells are still performing as new.

  27. #117
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,756

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    I agree with you ven. I just charge them to the 4.19v, and then use them. If they need replacing, then I will replace them. But for now, my 2 and 3 year old cells are still performing as new.
    Exactly thank you,once we notice charge not holding then disposed of or used for something else.The cost of a cell from $6-$12 every 3 or 5 yr is a small investment for maximizing performance out of or special flashlight tools

  28. #118
    Flashaholic* oKtosiTe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    973

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    So I did something stupid. About a week ago, I ordered an Xtar VP2 with my latest flashlight. FedEx is still getting it to me.
    But in my excitement I somehow forgot about the AC adapter. I'm in Europe, and I ordered from the US.

    What are my options? Is a plug included?

  29. #119
    HKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    8,840

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    So I did something stupid. About a week ago, I ordered an Xtar VP2 with my latest flashlight. FedEx is still getting it to me.
    But in my excitement I somehow forgot about the AC adapter. I'm in Europe, and I ordered from the US.

    What are my options? Is a plug included?
    Get a new power adapter, you might even have one from some other equipment.

    You can also use a US to EU plug converter, but that is not recommended.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: lygte-info.
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

  30. #120
    Flashaholic* Conte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

    Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    So I did something stupid. About a week ago, I ordered an Xtar VP2 with my latest flashlight. FedEx is still getting it to me.
    But in my excitement I somehow forgot about the AC adapter. I'm in Europe, and I ordered from the US.

    What are my options? Is a plug included?
    I just bought a vp2 also. I'm in Canada so I got the us plug.

    My adapter reads "100-240v AC 50/60hz" input.
    So as long as your mains are withing those specs you should be able run it adapted.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •