Olight - S1R        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Get a new power adapter, you might even have one from some other equipment.

You can also use a US to EU plug converter, but that is not recommended.
    Do you know if this would fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Conte View Post
    I just bought a vp2 also. I'm in Canada so I got the us plug.

My adapter reads "100-240v AC 50/60hz" input.
    So as long as your mains are withing those specs you should be able run it adapted.
    That's what I assumed. I'm looking around, but of course almost every adapter is the "wrong" way around...

Oh, just make sure you adapter also has those specs, my out never know.
    There is the odd chance they sent you a unit with an Eu plug based on the shipping location if they had one is stock. Some stores will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    That's what I assumed. I'm looking around, but of course almost every adapter is the "wrong" way around...
    If it was me I'd get crafty. Any good with a soldering iron? Know anyone who is?

Oh, just make sure you adapter also has those specs, my out never know.
    There is the odd chance they sent you a unit with an Eu plug based on the shipping location if they had one is stock. Some stores will do that.
    Yes, you're right. My package should arrive tomorrow or on Wednesday. I should just wait it out first.

If it was me I'd get crafty. Any good with a soldering iron? Know anyone who is?
    Hehe. I'm okay with a soldering iron, but I've found a number of options that, while not ideal, are good enough to accept them over soldering.
    Thanks a lot for pinching in!

Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    Do you know if this would fit?
    That looks correct.
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

That looks correct.
    Thanks again. If the charger does turn out to come with a US plug, I'll take it to that shop and see what I can work out. Will post back soon.

So the charger did come with a US plug. A quick browse through my pile of discarded gadgets revealed the adapter of a broken external hard-drive, however, rated for 12V, 1500mA. It works great!
    Thank you both for your input.

Yeah, 12v adapter are becoming somewhat standardized for running small and sensitive electronics these days.

I probably have about 4 that will work with that charger.

Yeah, 12v adapter are becoming somewhat standardized for running small and sensitive electronics these days.
    You always have to check the specifications.
    Charge voltage and device voltage must be the same (Different voltages often uses the same plug).
    Charger current must be same or higher than device current.
    Plug must fit. There is a couple of sizes in use, the one Xtar uses is the most common.
    Theoretically you must also check polarity on connector, but all the equipment I have seen for some years has been with plus on centre pin.

This means that a 12 V 1A/12V 2A/12V 5A power supply all will work with a 12V 1A charger, but a 12V 0.8A power supply will not.
    A 12V xA power supply will damage a 3V xA charger.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

That's what I mean by standard.
    Lots of external hard drives are using a standard adapter now, along with chargers, and other random devices.

12v, clean filtered and well regulated, not like the plain adapters of yesterday.
    Always centre positive for the polarity, and usually 1A or more.

I've noticed they have a standard OD for the barrel plug, but an ID for the rated current output.
    So a low powered adapter will have too small an ID and won't plug into a larger device that needs more power.
    But a larger adapter will plug in to all the smaller devices.

I got this nice 4a adapter I can run all my chargers off of.

Charge voltage and device voltage must be the same (Different voltages often uses the same plug).
    Plug must fit. There is a couple of sizes in use, the one Xtar uses is the most common.
    Theoretically you must also check polarity on connector, but all the equipment I have seen for some years has been with plus on centre pin.

This means that a 12 V 1A/12V 2A/12V 5A power supply all will work with a 12V 1A charger, but a 12V 0.8A power supply will not.

I did, but in my younger years I've learned the hard way how to match adapters and devices. Cost me a SuperVision:

Can someone briefly explain what are the proper settings to charge 18650 3400 mAh batteries? I currently set the unit on 3.6V and charge them at 0.25A, but once the battery reach about 4.10V it takes forever to get to 4.2V. Should I just wait? Charge at 0.5A instead?...
    Fenix PD32, 01, 05, UC40 - Sunwayman V11R - Thrunite T10S - Zebralight SC62w, H600Fw - Nitecore SRT6

Quote Originally Posted by Tapis View Post
    Can someone briefly explain what are the proper settings to charge 18650 3400 mAh batteries? I currently set the unit on 3.6V and charge them at 0.25A, but once the battery reach about 4.10V it takes forever to get to 4.2V. Should I just wait? Charge at 0.5A instead?...
    18650 can be charged at 1A, see table in review.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapis View Post
    Yes and when it gets to 4.2V, expect to wait a bit longer.

I received a VP2 today and so far am quite happy with it.

Nevertheless on page 3 of the manual, under "Performance", it is stated:

"0.25 A": constant charging current 500mA
    "0.50 A": constant charging current 1000mA
    "1.00 A": constant charging current 2000mA

This seems quite curious, as it seems that when selecting "1A" the batteries will be charged with a current of actually 2 Amps, and not 1 Amp as one might assume??

From reading other posts and looking around the net my understanding is that in general, 18650 batteries should be charged with 1 Amp, or 2 Amps max... so wouldn't it be advisable to select the "0.50 A" setting on the VP2 (which according to the manual seems to mean in fact 1A)??

This is peculiar because on page 2 of the manual, under "Specifications", the charging currents are listed as one might assume they should be, i.e., "1.00 A" meaning 1000 +/-80 mA, so on and so forth...

Anyone would care to clarify what's up with this apparently conflicting information?

VP2 manual:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/036...anual.pdf?4792

I don't think it's charging each channel at 500mA, 1A or 2A, but rather both channels are charging at a total of 500mA, 1A and 2A.

I don't think that the VP2 pulses, like other chargers including my C-9000 and NC i4 v2.

Just a guess on my part, however, as I'm only an English Lit./Communications major.

HKJ will be along to set us straight.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I'd bet the glaze off a donut it is simply a typo.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    I don't think it's charging each channel at 500mA, 1A or 2A, but rather both channels are charging at a total of 500mA, 1A and 2A.
    That sound like a good explanation, the 0.25A etc. are the correct charge currents.

I don't think that the VP2 pulses, like other chargers including my C-9000 and NC i4 v2.
    Yes, it uses a true CC/CV algorithm, not a simulated one.

Not really required, you did fine.
    Only thing missing was a link to my review http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...arger-Xtar-VP2

Just a guess on my part, however, as I'm only an English Lit./Communications major.

Chris
    Thank you Chris and HKJ, that might just be it.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean View Post
    Thank you Chris and HKJ, that might just be it.
    As HKJ pointed out, I failed to provide a link to his VP2 review, but this thread IS that review, at least in the first post, so I'm sure that you already read it, lol.

I'm using mine right now and while I still use my WP2 II Xtar charger and my NiteCore i4 v2 charger for 4 cell charging, I most often grab the VP2. I play with 4.35v 18650s, so I definitely need it for charging them up.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

As HKJ pointed out, I failed to provide a link to his VP2 review, but this thread IS that review, at least in the first post, so I'm sure that you already read it, lol.
    I did not notice the thread title, sorry.

Only thing missing was a link to my review http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...arger-Xtar-VP2

As HKJ pointed out, I failed to provide a link to his VP2 review, but this thread IS that review, at least in the first post, so I'm sure that you already read it, lol....

I did not notice the thread title, sorry.
    That is Department of Redundancy Department funny (lol) ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

I'm using mine right now and while I still use my WP2 II Xtar charger and my NiteCore i4 v2 charger for 4 cell charging, I most often grab the VP2. I play with 4.35v 18650s, so I definitely need it for charging them up.

Chris
    Yes I sure read it, excellent read by the way. I decided on the VP2 also because of the information on it, and I don't regret it.

I also have a Fenix AREC1 and a Nitecore D2, which are both very cool, but the VP2 is on a league of its own... lovely charger lol

Thanks for your thorough review. I have one on the way - $26.79 shipped. ...

Flashaholic

Well thanks to this review, I finally broke down and bought a for-real charger. All these years, I've been using a home-made charger that charged up to 3 cells independently at (edit) 2 amps each. Forgot what chips I based it on, but it worked great on 18650, C and D LiIons.

Got a question regarding the charge state bars on the VP2. I received my charger in the mail today and had a few discharged protected 18650s to try it out on.

First thing I noticed when opening the package was a strong burnt electronics smell--believe me when I say I know that smell . I also noticed that the LCD protective covering had already been removed. Looks like I received someone else’s returned charger.

OK, fine. I read the manual, verified the charge voltage and powered it up. Everything went fine. I inserted a battery in each bay, and everything appears to work.

Now here’s the question: When charging, are the charge indicator bars supposed to show the battery(s) charge state, increasing over time like the manual says? Mine both just fill in from left to right every ~2 seconds. I can check the battery’s status by reading the voltage and in that regard, the charge state bars are kinda redundant, but I want everything to be working.

I can get the charge state indicators to show charge state if I unplug the unit and plug it back in. During the boot cycle (with the LEDs still green) the charge bars will briefly show charge state, but as soon as the LEDs turn red, the charge bars just start cycling, and stays that way.

Is this how yours works?

Thanks
    Last edited by LED Boatguy; 01-26-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LED Boatguy View Post
    First thing I noticed when opening the package was a strong burnt electronics smell--believe me when I say I know that smell .
    Check if the usb output works!

Is this how yours works?
    Yes it is, but how many bars that are animated will vary with charge state.

Got a question regarding the charge state bars on the VP2. I received my charger in the mail today and had a few discharged protected 18650s to try it out on.

First thing I noticed when opening the package was a strong burnt electronics smell--believe me when I say I know that smell . I also noticed that the LCD protective covering had already been removed. Looks like I received someone else’s returned charger.

OK, fine. I read the manual, verified the charge voltage and powered it up. Everything went fine. I inserted a battery in each bay, and everything appears to work.

Now here’s the question: When charging, are the charge indicator bars supposed to show the battery(s) charge state, increasing over time like the manual says? Mine both just fill in from left to right every ~2 seconds. I can check the battery’s status by reading the voltage and in that regard, the charge state bars are kinda redundant, but I want everything to be working.

I can get the charge state indicators to show charge state if I unplug the unit and plug it back in. During the boot cycle (with the LEDs still green) the charge bars will briefly show charge state, but as soon as the LEDs turn red, the charge bars just start cycling, and stays that way.

Is this how yours works?

Thanks
    As the batteries get "fuller", less bars will "fill up from left to right" and more bars (on the left) will stay lit. Near the end only the last bar will blink. Hope that makes sense. Depending on the cells and the charge rate, the speed at which bars stay lit is far from linear in relation to total charge time.

Flashaholic

Check if the usb output works!
    The USB works fine. It also stops charging right at 4.20 volts, and its voltage reading is within .005V of my Fluke DMM. The thing just stinks like burnt electronics. I wonder if Amazon will accept a return because the item was obviously a return and smells like a campfire. Of all electronics, the one you don't want to be wondering about is a lithium (of any chemistry) battery charger.

Yes it is, but how many bars that are animated will vary with charge state.
    I figured that out as my batteries got charged. Now I feel dumb for asking. Oh well.

I got this charger as part of a campaign to "freshen up", i.e., retire some of my old LiIons in the name of safety. Can't believe DX protected Trustfires from '07 are still taking a charge. I'm switching over to protected Panasonic 3400s.

Those 3400s also happen to have enough juice to power something based on the Cree XM-L2 LED. I'm too lazy to build from scratch like I did in the old days when I made multi-thousand lumen boat lights and modded M*gs, so I'm just going to buy something retail like the Zebralight SC600w Mk II flame thrower.

Thanks for your responses.
    Last edited by LED Boatguy; 01-18-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast