NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    All my batteries are 18650 3100mAh and 3400mAh bought in groups of ten and now include 40 batteries. I have three lights that use 4 18650's, two lights that use two 18650's each, and the rest use single 18650's. I live in an earthquake and fire hazard area and want enough battery capacity for at least 10 days without power.

I am quite surprised that people collect flashlights and yet seem to be timid about batteries, chargers, and their expense. A flashlight without the knowledge of battery technology is like some one who has a Ferrari and will only consider cheap fuel, oil, and maintenance for their car. I have enjoyed the excellent comments made on this thread.
    Having 40 batteries, what other chargers do you have? 4x xtar vp2? Lol
    Last edited by magnum70383; 01-03-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Hello all,

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, as I did not easily find it.

I am brand new to this hobby, I just received my new ZL SC600w MKIII HI with 3, unprotected NCR18650GA cells.

The research I did lead to me also acquiring an XTAR VP2 charger which the question I have is related to that:

From what I understand, the cells I bought are fully charged once they are at 4.2v, however, the charger indicates that the cell is at 4.2v, but the LED never changes from red to green, is this normal?

Is this possibly due to the cell not having protective circuitry to create an open circuit for the charger?

I let the cells sit in the charger for awhile (30m or so) while they were indicating 4.2v, and then pulled them and tested them with my DMM (Fluke 87) and both cells are measuring exactly 4.2v.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by suponlight View Post
    Hello all,

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, as I did not easily find it.

I am brand new to this hobby, I just received my new ZL SC600w MKIII HI with 3, unprotected NCR18650GA cells.

The research I did lead to me also acquiring an XTAR VP2 charger which the question I have is related to that:

From what I understand, the cells I bought are fully charged once they are at 4.2v, however, the charger indicates that the cell is at 4.2v, but the LED never changes from red to green, is this normal?

Is this possibly due to the cell not having protective circuitry to create an open circuit for the charger?

I let the cells sit in the charger for awhile (30m or so) while they were indicating 4.2v, and then pulled them and tested them with my DMM (Fluke 87) and both cells are measuring exactly 4.2v.

Is there something I'm missing here?
    I have and use this particular charger, mine does change to green when fully charged. Do you have the voltage selection to 3.6 volts? If it is set to 3.8 volts the charger will not terminate until 4.35 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    I have and use this particular charger, mine does change to green when fully charged. Do you have the voltage selection to 3.6 volts? If it is set to 3.8 volts the charger will not terminate until 4.35 volts.
    Thanks for the input, it looks like I just didn't have enough patience.

After your reply I decided I was willing to potentially "sacrifice" one of my cells to see if it ever turned green and, it did.

I'd be interested in knowing what takes it so long to terminate once it's at its rated voltage, it took nearly an hour.

Thanks for the input, it looks like I just didn't have enough patience.

After your reply I decided I was willing to potentially "sacrifice" one of my cells to see if it ever turned green and, it did.

I'd be interested in knowing what takes it so long to terminate once it's at its rated voltage, it took nearly an hour.
    Even if the cell may reach 4.2V under load, it may not have reached full charge (i.e. 4.2V idle).
    In other words the last few mAh take the longest to pump in to the battery.

You can just look at the red curves in the OP post, when they go horizontal the voltage has reached 4.2 volt, but they continue for some time, depending on the cell.
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Thanks for the information guys!

Hopefully my ignorance helps someone else.

Flashaholic*

My VP2 no longer charges. Warranty expired last month.

What seems to be the issue?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    What seems to be the issue?
    No charge current. Fortunately, I have a SP1 as a backup charger.

Wow. My VP1 is still charging strong.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SubLGT View Post
    Contact XTAR or where you purchased from. They may cover it. Both Channels out?

Mine are still holding up, but I also bought a 3rd backup for some insanely cheap price on sale because it looks to me like they may stop making this model with the SV2 and all their VC models out now, and the new VP4 Plus. A pity I don't like their new look they have been rolling out across the line. I'm happy so far with how the SV2 works though, have it charging 2 26650 batteries at 2A each right now. I need to get a lot more runtime on it though for 18650 the VP2 is still my go to or my WP2H. For analyzing though the lineup of course is different; I don't really need more chargers, but better analyzers. I may just get another electronic load as the price of the top chargers move up.

Two things: Might depend on the version you have...1st Gen (sold for $50 when launched and quickly dropped to $35) was recalled due to enclosures separating in temp extremes, and if you didn't recv' adequate notice of recall you may be able to exchange for a functional unit or get your's repaired gratis.

Sometimes depends on where purchased e.g. if from a distributor, like illuminationgear for example, he might be willing to go to bat for you if just out of warranty...pays to ask.

Flashaholic*

After an overnight rest with the power supply disconnected from the charger, the VP2 is functioning correctly again. Hmmmmm, weird. Charged a 26650 at 1A and a 16340 at 0.25A
    Last edited by SubLGT; 10-15-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Flashaholic*

The VP2 is my favorite and most used charger...a true workhorse.

Flashaholic*

After an overnight rest with the power supply disconnected from the charger, the VP2 is functioning correctly again. Hmmmmm, weird. Charged a 26650 at 1A and a 16340 at 0.25A
    Hmmm... very strange. if it happens again check that the plug has a good connection, and the switch is properly positioned and not loose. Great to hear it's working, have not heard of any reliability problems with these.

Cool. Good to hear that it is "working" again.

Maybe the wall wart is going?

Keep an eye on it, as they have to cost about .02 cents to make.

My Opus BT-3400 came with a 3A wart that couldn't charge 4 cells at 1A, but was fine with 4 cells at 700mA and below. Got a new one and things are peachy.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    Maybe the wall wart is going?..
    Maybe. The display lit up normally, and battery voltage was displayed, but no current was flowing and the voltage was not ramping up.

I have an Xtar VP2 that I just smoked(literally, smoke came out of it). Can anyone recommend a new 4 slot charger?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cioppino View Post
    I have an Xtar VP2 that I just smoked(literally, smoke came out of it). Can anyone recommend a new 4 slot charger?
    Thanks.

Check the opus bt c3100 v2.2 out, good value charger and can do your 4 cells at 1a each(up to 2a on bays 1+4)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Cioppino View Post
    I have an Xtar VP2 that I just smoked(literally, smoke came out of it)
    Please tell us more. What were you doing when this happened? Do you have photos of the internals so we can see what component(s) failed?

Is the power supply 110-220V?

Fyi, as an answer to my own question, I've been informed by a vendor that the power supply is 100-240V.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567