MOSFET Fulton

Conte

Enlightened
The First Challenge here was to find a repeatable way to replace the negative contact inside of The Fulton.
I wanted to find a common part that anyone can find at their local hardware store that would allow them to upgrade their Fulton with either this mod, or The Ultimate Fulton regulated multi mode mod found HERE.

I actually toiled with this mod for many hours over the course of two days trying to find the right part and the best way to put this together.

IMG_0522_zpsacb69289.jpg

The Fultons biggest weakness is it's switch.
It was designed knowing it would only need to handle a very low wattage load.
The contacts on it tend to patina over time in such a way that will incur a higher level of resistance then we'd like.

This particular unit was quite suffering of that.
I bought this used on Ebay many years ago. It was in rough shape and I restored it as best I could but it would never shine as bright as it should.

Which brings us to the second motivation of this mod . . . to make it right.
I've been dabbling in the wonderful world of MOSFET's the past little while, and after discovering an almost endless supply of them in my scrap parts, I came to the realization that this was just the droid I was looking for to bring new life back to an old Fulton.

IMG_0502_zps29ff2e4f.jpg

Found at a local hardware store this flange was a damn near perfect fit.
It's about 1.5" wide along the tube and comes in various several inch long lengths.
It sells for about $8 here in Canada which is somewhat disappointing as most of it will get cut off.
Fortunately, the Guy I dealt with at Home Hardware was willing to put the pipe cutter to it to save me some work.

The Flange gets cut down to 5/8" long.

IMG_0503_zps6306451d.jpg

Seen here I dremeled a section away so that it would fit over the flat part on the bottom of the inside like so :

IMG_0505_zps5c6299a8.jpg

I would recommend making the cut as tight as you can to prevent rotation.
I didn't think of that until after.

At this point get to see how almost perfect it is.

IMG_0504_zpse6af07be.jpg

Now the catch is, due to the ID of the flange your reflector will no long sit flush, but as you can see, it's going to make a very good electrical contact.

IMG_0521_zps016a7a63.jpg

The next catch is that the addition of this flange will no longer allow you to screw the bezel firmly down.
You're going to need to shave off the front until you find the correct depth you need to completely screw on the bezel.
This is easily done with a bit of spinny grindage on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface.

IMG_0501_zpsfafd40fc.jpg

The final catch to fitting this part is depending on the angle of your reflector and the bend in the flange, you may no longer be able to use the rear o-ring seal behind the reflector of you hope to make electrical contact.

If this is the case you can simply remove that seal and add an O-ring behind the bezel instead.
Just bare in mind your reflector will no longer be secure and will fall out when you remove the bezel.
Also be sure to take into account which setup you will be using when you sandpaper fit your Fulton.

IMG_0506_zps767126d1.jpg

In this next exercise I will integrate a MosFET into the Futons electrical to circumvent it's weaknesses.

MOSFETSchemm_670a4a1_zpse9f1db76.jpg

Seen here is the schematic I was working off of. I pulled it off another thread and I believe it was drawn by JimmyM.
The 4.7k resistor is omitted due to the low voltages I will be running.

I tried a couple different methods of mounting it in there but the part is very small and fragile and needs some form of protection or support. After damaging 2 Fets I finally settled on this method.

IMG_0511_zps6eefc81c.jpg

The FET used is an AOD472. It was salvaged off a computer motherboard which are an excellent source for power FET's.
It's rated for 20v 50a, and a Gate Threshold of 1.2-2.5v which I understand as the minimum working voltage it needs to fully close the circuit. These values make it perfect for a 2D sized application as it means I can still use this as a common 2D cell light.

I didn't have a 10k on hand. I've tested this circuit with various resistors from 1k to 22k and got the same results.
You need this resistor for the FET to work. It allows some Negative voltage to pass to tell the FET to turn OFF when no positive voltage is being applied to the gate. When positive is applied, it overpowers the negative coming off the resistor and tells the FET to turn ON. If no voltage it applied to the gate the FET will get confused by the load that is being applied across it and will allow some current to pass, at which point, it will function like a power resistor, heat up, and likely fry.
The value has to be high enough to prevent a short circuit from happening but low enough to allow enough current to pass to control the FET in off state.

IMG_0512_zps1c9e5add.jpg

I packaged the FET in some heatshink. This will protect the FET and secure the wiring to take the strain off it's fragile little pins.
Green is (-in) from the Battery, Black is (-out) to the bulb, and Red is (+ Control) coming from the switch.

IMG_0508_zpsa6d2f5f1.jpg

Cutting the switch link was meatball surgery. That purple wire is connected to the back of the (+) terminal that connects the batteries directly to the bulb.

IMG_0520_zps6e8ea408.jpg

A quick and careful solder joint connects battery (-) to the FET.

IMG_0516_zpsd2f263d6.jpg

And finally the trickiest part, packing it all in there and making the final connections.
18g solid copper wire was used. It makes for a good conductor but can be tricky to snake into small spaces.
You also have to be careful not to over work it or do any sharp bends. Once in place it won't be moving and should last a lifetime.

The Purple wire is 22g Stranded.
You can now visualize how the switch is connected.
Purple is soldered to the back of that terminal to send (+) to the switch which in return connects to the Red to control the FET.

IMG_0518_zpsbb2529a6.jpg

The Build is now complete.
A PVC tube adapts the light to take 2x26650 IMR or Lifepo4 cells. It will also secure and protect the new wiring in the tube.
26650's seem to fit perfect with no need to mod the tailcap.
D batteries still fit but snug.

The results are excellent.
The Fulton is now bright and responsive. No more flickering or fading with manipulation of the switch. The light is either ON or OFF. As long as the FET get's enough signal, it turns Full ON.
As you know, this also behaves as a resistance mod. This thing now rocks a ROP-Hi bulb to it's full potential. However, my testing has shown that a Fulton can only handle that amount or power for about 10 mins before overheating.
I have however thoroughly tested the Fulton with 10 watt ROP Low equiv for extended periods with no problems.

Running this light in my standard configuration: a Relfectalite 6v10w or (HPR71) off a pair of 26650 Lifepo4s has indeed shown an increase in output. The light burns whiter then it did before adding an edge over a brand new factory fresh Fulton.

The light is pulling 1.7a at the tail.
A stock Fulton has given me 1.6a.

Even an stock KPR bulb running off a pair of D cells seems whiter and brighter.

After this mod, I've come to the conclusion that a FET switch is a viable upgrade for any flashlight, as even the mild hotwire seems to be able to benefit from it. As I have an abundant supply of power FET's I can seem myself throwing them into all sorts of applications "jsut because". I may even be tempted to go and upgrade some of my old hotwires.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a question on this. A mosfet needs a differential between gate and source voltage for it to act as a closed switch but to me it looks like the gate voltage here is Vbatt. There is the 10k resistor but my understanding there should be no current flowing through the switch or to the gate as its just a signal. Without current there'll be no voltage drop so no difference in voltage between the gate and source. And why would the FET get confused? If the gate signal is turned off(opening the mechanic switch) the FET should stop conducting. I'm not trying to say you're wrong as obviously it works but I'm trying to figure how it works in this example. I've used mosfets before but with a dedicated control signal. Thanks

Conte

Enlightened
Well, I'm not an engineer so I'm not sure how better to explain in.
Hell, my explanation in the post is kind of a silly layman version.

All I know is that the FET needs to be controlled. It needs to be told what to do.
And I know if you just willy nilly connect it into the circuit it acts as a resistor lets some current thru' to the load until you tell it to do otherwise.

So in the case of the N-channel, if you put negative to the gate it causes it to block any current trying to pass, and if you put positive to the gate it lets all the current pass. If you put no signal to the gate it kind of opens half way.

The 10k resistor allows negative to pass to the gate to tells the FET to block. When you hit the gate with full +vbatt it overpowers to small negative potential passing thru' the resistor and tells the FET to pass.

I've actually been using 1M resistors lately.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks that's makes sense. I was still under the impression though that a FET needed the voltage at the gate to be different by a couple volts at least thantthe power circuit. Maybe it just needs a positive voltage regardless what's at the source

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subscribed.

I have a mod planned to make a SHTF, LED Fulton using a WQuiles Joule Thief, and am definitely using this idea to bypass the stock switch as a main current passing component.

I've noticed that in cheap, direct driven LED products, lower voltages produced by drained batteries have a much harder time getting across crappy switches than do the higher voltages of fresh batts, resulting in the LED's flickering and dimming until I scrape the switch back and forth to try making a better connection. Freshly recharged Ni-NH's or new Alkies seem to "overcome" the contact resistance... for a little while.

I'm concerned this effect will show up with a vengeance with my low voltage boost setup, and could give unreliable performance, as well as less runtime (even with a semi-stable connection).

Thanks for posting this, Conte! :thumbsup:

Conte

Enlightened
The switch in the fulton is an old design that's been around since who knows when.

You know in the horror movies when the victims flashlight starts acting up and glitching out, it's this switch design that probably inspired that.
Even running normally, these switches just wear out overtime and don't work well.

Question on my mind, is what voltages are you going to be working with?

The only problem I've run into with FET switches, is they have minimum voltages by with they need to work properly. Once your batterys drop down to a certain threshold the FET is likely to kick out on you defeating the purpose of the Joule thief.

In short, you may run out of the power needed to operate the FET before you've run out of power to run the thief.

More likely, what can happen with a FET, as the voltage drops below threshold, they stop closing the circuit completely and will start throttling current at which point they function as a resistor and start generating heat and can overheat and fry if they aren't kept cool.
You can actually rig a FET to be a normal dimmer with proper heatsinking.

You'd have to find a FET with a very low gate threshold. I'm sure they are out there.
Sadly, the FET switch is more useful for passing high currents than it is low currents.

DO you have a link to the joule thief schematic you are referencing?
There might be another way to approach this that I can help you with.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have minimum voltages by with they need to work properly.
Ah yes... in my zeal, I kinda' forgot about that. The voltages will range from 3V to as low as possible to run the circuit Illum linked to (thanks, Illum!) using two D cells.

Thanks to you as well, Conte. And if possible, I'd LOVE an alternative idea on how to use the Fulton switch to control on/off without carrying main current. As you can tell, I'm not an EE, and only know random bits of info I've picked up over the years.

Conte

Enlightened
Hmm, That circuit seems pretty simple.
What idea that popped into my head, is if the switch could be put somewhere else in the circuit to turn it off, instead of just cutting off battery power.

I think if I wanted an LED fulton for SHTF, I would just get a normal 1/2 AA driver that can run an XML at as low as 0.9v and call it a day.

Converting Fultons to LED is stupid easy using this reflector I found on DX.

Seymourfroggs

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm not an engineer
So in the case of the N-channel, if you put negative to the gate it causes it to block any current trying to pass, and if you put positive to the gate it lets all the current pass. If you put no signal to the gate it kind of opens half way.
Hello

This little para is useful. What I would like to know is how to control exactly the current from S to D (electrons). I understand that by varying the voltage (EMF, I suppose) at the Gate, the semi conductor lets more current flow. I also read you need a minimum EMF to allow flow, say 4.5 v.
But I can't find a graph of S > D current against Gate emf. Of course, the current would depend on the S, D voltage and R of that part of the circuit.

I want to control current (as a Darlington pair would). To be exact, I have a IRF630 FET, n-polar. I have 15 v available across S, D and will fire short timed pulses (2 ms max) of about 4 A. As it stands, I have a 2R2 resistor in place. (Obviously, full on, I'd get 15/2.2 A with this, but what sort of control emf would drop the voltage across the FET to let 4 A flow?
ie, I need to know what Gate voltage would allow this.

Thanx

Seymour

Conte

Enlightened
Well, if I understand what you asking correctly, it doesn't really work that way.

You could adjust the gate voltage to make the FET throttle it's output, but running it that way would cause it to generate a lot of heat and it would fry unless you had really good cooling.

The only reason this mod works is cause the FET is either full on or full off. As long as it's not resisting current, it won't general heat. As soon as you try to get it to resist and throttle current, it will overload.

The way people get the effect using FET is using the PWM method. The FET is turned off and on really fast.

There are lot's of other mods and devices available on this site. If you could tell me your specific application I could try and point you in the right direction.

If you're looking to mod a fulton, and throttle current running an Incan bulb, we already have a device for that.
It's called the JM-PHD-D1 regulator and I've fitted one into a Fulton as described here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-The-Ultimate-Fulton-Hotwire&highlight=fulton

Well, I'm not an engineer
Hello

This little para is useful. What I would like to know is how to control exactly the current from S to D (electrons). I understand that by varying the voltage (EMF, I suppose) at the Gate, the semi conductor lets more current flow. I also read you need a minimum EMF to allow flow, say 4.5 v.
But I can't find a graph of S > D current against Gate emf. Of course, the current would depend on the S, D voltage and R of that part of the circuit.

I want to control current (as a Darlington pair would). To be exact, I have a IRF630 FET, n-polar. I have 15 v available across S, D and will fire short timed pulses (2 ms max) of about 4 A. As it stands, I have a 2R2 resistor in place. (Obviously, full on, I'd get 15/2.2 A with this, but what sort of control emf would drop the voltage across the FET to let 4 A flow?
ie, I need to know what Gate voltage would allow this.

Thanx

Seymour