Do LED Bulbs damage printed paper like CFLs?

WebHobbit

Enlightened
One of my many geeky passions is comic books. I have a large collection. In my new place (still under construction) we are actually building in a dedicated library/comic room. I will have two light fixtures in there - a three bulb ceiling fan and a three bulb track/directional thingie that will be aimed at a large 14ft long "book-case wall". We are using CFLs through out the rest of the house as LEDs sadly are still pretty much out of price range (although getting better!). The room with all the books is pretty much the only place I still pefer to use incan bulbs because I have noticed (and read about) the way CF lighting bleaches out and damages the color and print on book paper and posters and will likely damage my posters, art and books displayed on the walls and shelves. I cant seem to find any info on whether or not LED light bulbs will have a similar effect. Anyone know? If I can confirm that LEDs don't share this CF problem then I may have to spend the $7.99+ each for six LED bulbs for my new "Library".

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably* not. CFL bulbs inherently produce UV light in an arc-lamp effect inside the glass tube. This glass tube is coated** with phosphor that down-converts most of the UV photons to visible light photons. However, it is possible to test this with some home equipment.

White LEDs (The ones you can actually buy in stores, not specialty experiments) create royal blue light and down-convert this to other colors. Royal-blue light is lower-energy than UV and probably less-damaging to comic books. LEDs do not create UV light, while halogens, arc lamps, and fluorescent lamps must do so.

Some museum society did a poorly designed study where they claimed that LEDs are damaging to pigments. But their methodology was to use a high-intensity arc lamp (UV Source) and put visible-light filters on it to simulate the visible output of various sources. They did not admit whether or not they filtered out the UV for the LED-simulating trial.

*I do not know how visible light affects comic books.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
One of my many geeky passions is comic books. I have a large collection. In my new place (still under construction) we are actually building in a dedicated library/comic room. I will have two light fixtures in there - a three bulb ceiling fan and a three bulb track/directional thingie that will be aimed at a large 14ft long "book-case wall". We are using CFLs through out the rest of the house as LEDs sadly are still pretty much out of price range (although getting better!). The room with all the books is pretty much the only place I still pefer to use incan bulbs because I have noticed (and read about) the way CF lighting bleaches out and damages the color and print on book paper and posters and will likely damage my posters, art and books displayed on the walls and shelves. I cant seem to find any info on whether or not LED light bulbs will have a similar effect. Anyone know? If I can confirm that LEDs don't share this CF problem then I may have to spend the $7.99+ each for six LED bulbs for my new "Library".

CFL emit a lot of UV, whereas LED emit almost none...and UV is the main bogie as far as document damage.

Visible light also causes damage, but at a slower rate though, so, at museums for example, they make cases or display panels, etc, from a UV filtering material or add a film of UV protection, etc, and, limit lux levels when practical. (Comic book inks, etc, are susceptible to vis and UV damage)

If you have a light meter, you can try to keep the lighting ~ 50 lux or so for long term lighting, but measure during periods where sunlight might be present on the items as well. (Some use ~ 50 - 150 lux as their limit, depending upon the chemistries)

Light meters are not going to tell you what the UV exposure will be, unless you have a UV meter....but, CFL are bad for preservation. There are UV sleeves for full sized commercial tubes, for this purpose, but I have not heard of a CFL specific UV sleeve-like solution.

If the room is closed with the lights off when not in it admiring your collection, no exposure might be occurring (drawn curtains/dark when not in use, etc...), which reduces the cumulative impact of light. Light damage is cumulative and not reversible by recovery periods, so, conservation typically involves trying to limit vulnerable materials to less than 50,000 lux hours per year of exposure.

So if you limit the lighting to 100 lux, and, only illuminate your collection for 10 hours every weekend, that's 52 x 10 x 100 = 52,000 lux hrs of exposure, sort of your ball park limit typically. (You'd need a 2 week vacation from the collection...)

If the objects have light on them 7 days a week for 10 hrs a day, then you'd be at ~ 700 k lux hours, and things would be fading more rapidly (14 x faster), etc.

Cutting the level of illumination to 50 lux would double the cumulative exposure time that you could typically tolerate, raising it to 150 L would reduce the acceptable exposure time proportionally, etc.. For comic books, going over these limits would accelerate deterioration....as NO light is "good for them".

The darker you can make it when not viewing, the better. The more UV screens/films etc, you can protect them with, the better, etc. If it could be pitch black EXCEPT when looking at stuff, the lighting when looking can be brighter, and so forth...if the cumulative "looking time" is limited.

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys.

In so far as the usage/conditions:

Most of the actual comic books (stapled that is) are in Mylar (the same stuff the library of Congress keeps archived items in) and also in comic boxes (mostly corrugated acid free plastic type). A few (mostly autographed stuff) will be displayed on open shelves.

My books (paperbacks/hardcovers and trades) will be in the open wall bookcase (14 feet long and six levels high!).

I will also have some original art and several posters (some framed) on the walls.

There are two windows in the room and I plan on having medium/dark blinds (like mini-blinds but wider)...these will be keep closed unless I am in there filing or something. The lights in the room will be OFF most of the time and will only be turned on when I need to go in there to show off my collection or put something away or retrieve something. I'm guessing often the room wont be entered for several days at a time...but I will probably go in there at least an hour or two a week.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies guys.

In so far as the usage/conditions:

Most of the actual comic books (stapled that is) are in Mylar (the same stuff the library of Congress keeps archived items in) and also in comic boxes (mostly corrugated acid free plastic type). A few (mostly autographed stuff) will be displayed on open shelves.

My books (paperbacks/hardcovers and trades) will be in the open wall bookcase (14 feet long and six levels high!).

I will also have some original art and several posters (some framed) on the walls.

There are two windows in the room and I plan on having medium/dark blinds (like mini-blinds but wider)...these will be keep closed unless I am in there filing or something. The lights in the room will be OFF most of the time and will only be turned on when I need to go in there to show off my collection or put something away or retrieve something. I'm guessing often the room wont be entered for several days at a time...but I will probably go in there at least an hour or two a week.

Well, and 2 hours/week...and limiting the lux to say 150 - you should be in reasonable shape (~ 16 k lux hours).

:D

If you could, lux meter the stuff in the day with the lights off, etc, as "dark" might still be "light", etc.

If you use CFL though, due to the UV, the above exposures will not be enough to limit damage....the above would be for LED or UV-less sources + sunlight.

BTW - maintaining a constant temperature and humidity is also important, are you addressing that as well?

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You know we now expect pics of the finished room, right?

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Wont be a problem! Will probably be a few months away though. My Wife, In-Laws and I only work on it once a week as we have full-time jobs too. So it's a slow process. We are doing as much of the work as possible ourselves.

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if white LEDs will cause problems. It depends on how much of the "near-UV" gets through. Personal experience does show that blue LEDs will cause stuff to fade though. I had a dual channel memory set in a computer at one point that had blue LEDs at the base for lighting effects. The RAM slots on the motherboard were orange and yellow. They were faded near where the LEDs were. I currently have a fan controller for my current PC that had white/blue LEDs. They faded the black anodized knobs over time.

Of course the LEDs were sitting within a few millimeters of what faded. Who knows what would happen to items sitting further away.