Losing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yearnslow

Enlightened
I'm currently EDC-ing Three lights, my wife is concerned, personally it never entered my head that this behaviour was in anyway 'odd'.
What do you guys think? Cause for concern? or entirely normal?

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not odd. It is part of the hobby.
It is kinda like a person who likes buying clothes or jewelries. Or another example is when a person likes to go to different food outlets to satisfy the "craving" for food. Or a person who likes to read books containing a heavy dose of romance.

Just because something isn't considered part of the norm, it does not mean that it should be rejected. Every man has his own preferences.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is great cause for concern and you need urgent medical help by way of a counsellor.To carry an edc is all well and dandy and a back up edc if you feel you need one for safety or convenience reasons all well and good but a third you are a basket case needing your head feeling and a touch of ocd is detected.:eek:

The above is intended only as representative of my opinion not others opinion,
nor is it meant as an entreatment to invite any response by any other
regarding subject matter, content or anything associated by any other.

Devildude

Enlightened
That's all, surely you could fit another one or two in to the mix. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

ven

Flashaholic
Unfortunately i cant help you as i only edc 1 or 2 lights,however fortunately for you there will be members that do think you have an issue for not carrying enough lights :laughing:

What ever makes you happy,piece of mind is key,if that takes 3 lights,or justifies the purchase/expense of 3 lights so be it!!!

After all a flood,throw and a small key chain light could be argued fine:D

Personally i carry my DQG spy on keys,i have a d25cvn in coat and if i am in my car then i will have another couple of lights in there too.

Have a look how many lipsticks she has in her handbag,maybe bottles of perfume...........the odds can soon be stacked your way for proving who is odd :laughing:;)

I would be more concerned on her knowing,that means she will know how many lights you have or may get in the future,justifying this becomes more difficult once you get past 50 :laughing:

Need to know basis i run on :twothumbs

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
An EDC + only 2 backups isn't enough by far... You definitely need help! :crackup:

Have a look how many lipsticks she has in her handbag,maybe bottles of perfume...........the odds can soon be stacked your way for proving who is odd :laughing:;)
This --^^

Life would be boooorrrring if people all behave inside 'the norm'. Whatever that is, anyway... :thinking: What's outside the usual is what makes people unique, and life worth living. Be a man, don't give a $*#^%, and enjoy whatever makes you happy. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else (well that and :broke: perhaps), it's o.k.

I would be more concerned on her knowing,that means she will know how many lights you have or may get in the future,justifying this becomes more difficult once you get past 50 :laughing:
Just get her on CPF - problem solved. :naughty:

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:

I could just see her face

Oh yes:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::help::rant::twak::whoopin::banned:

:laughing:

;)

danakauk2014

Newly Enlightened
Hello,,

I think it is great cause for concern and you need urgent medical help by way of a counsellor.Life is all about having the very best lights.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on how/what method you EDC 3 lights. If you have one in each hand and one in your mouth, you need help. If you have 2 in your pockets and 1 in a laptop bag, then I think you are OK.

I'm perfectly fine. I have 1 in my pocket, at least 2 in my laptop bag, a few in the car, a few by each door, a few on my night table, a few on my shelf, a few my flashlight bag, a few....

ven

Flashaholic
Very :cool: mr mcnair, they are fun all be them a little tricky once you get to 6ch.I used to have a few HPI savage trucks,running on nitro but spent more time faffing than having fun(unless that is the fun :laughing: ) but i would be fixing whilst my lad would be running the other,hardly ever both running together.........

i have a 1/1 scale lwb :laughing:

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erm... yearnslow there's nothing wrong with you. If there was... Then, we're all in trouble. Just buy within your means and enjoy yourself.

Nice, truck, ven!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently EDC-ing Three lights, my wife is concerned, personally it never entered my head that this behaviour was in anyway 'odd'.
What do you guys think? Cause for concern? or entirely normal?

I suppose it might depend on the three lights you EDC.

If you carry FOURSEVENS XM18, a Fenix RC40, and Polarion PH50, then despite CPF members understanding where you are coming from, the world at large would think you had indeed lost it.

Depending on your definition of a light, I EDC (well certainly on work days) more than three:
Two Tritium keyring fobs (bright enough to read with in total darkness) - one on my car key and one on my house keys
Two Photo Freedom Micro lights- one on my car key and one on my house keys
A Fenix HL10
NITECORE MH1A (chosen for the micro USB charging)
NITECORE P25 (chosen for the micro USB charging)

so that little lot could be counted as seven lights, certainly five.

It is all a matter of context and perspective. What lights do you carry?

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it might depend on the three lights you EDC.

If you carry FOURSEVENS XM18, a Fenix RC40, and Polarion PH50, then despite CPF members understanding where you are coming from, the world at large would think you had indeed lost it.

True. Carrying such lights would be a bit too much I suppose. :p

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

I do forensic investigations for example, so, I use lots of different types of light. I've had scenarios where I enter the area of concern(with say a flooder to simply navigate with), then say to a client for example, see this area here? (Using a laser pointer)...

Then "see how it fluoresces under 365 nm UV, but not 390 nm UV?" (Two more lights...)

Then "see how the staining starts here as a pool, then drips down to here and re-pools?" (another light with side lighting angle and tighter beam to highlight texture in area of concern)

And, then, "And how the pooled areas are diluted by the condensation forming from here above them all?" (Another light with more flood, to reach larger area all at the same time)

And and some point, I heard them make comments like "Do you realize you just showed me that you have 6 flashlights with you, and I'm becoming afraid of how many more you might have I didn't see yet...."

Its all about what you use.

Its also about what would happen if you did NOT have one of what you are worried about being superfluous.

If that would be a minor inconvenience, or, life threatening, or something inbetween, you could rationalize from that point to whether its weird to have it or not.

i don't WORRY about weird, as, well, I just don't CARE.

:D

I LIKE having the tools I need to do my job. If I'm "off duty", and at home, I might have one small light in my pocket. If I am out with friends, say to dinner, etc, depending on where, I might have one or two more on me, each with different niches (Say small flood, small thrower and a keychain.)

If camping, etc, then I'd be adding whatever made sense for the terrain, and, if doing disaster response, I might leave with SUITCASES of lights and solar chargers, cells, etc.

So, think about WHAT you have a PARTICULAR light FOR, if its with you...and, work from there.

Frankly, a woman probably doesn't NEED two earrings, or a toe ring, or 3 on her fingers, or a bracelet, or to really know what time it is (a watch), and, you could say "Why are you wearing a watch in the house, there's clocks all over the place", and so forth....they wear it all because it makes them happy.

I think that's enough of a reason.

:D

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
A HDS rotary 200, a Surefire LX2 and a Gerber recon.
I like to think that selection will cover most eventualities. :thumbsup:

Wow! Nice lights, especially the HDS and Surefire which are expensive. No wonder your wife is concerned. The fear of you losing either the valuable HDS or Surefire freaks her out! :D

dss_777

Enlightened
To people who don't have this particular interest, it can look compulsive, even fetish-like.

But then again, that's how I see people with more than one tattoo, multiple piercings, or overly-clean automobiles.

:thumbsup:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some interesting polls on this topic in prior threads, fun to look at and see where we're at, related to others.

2006: How many light do you EDC?
2010: How many lights do you EDC?
2010: How many lights do you EDC? Part 2
2013: How Many Flashlights Do You Carry Daily?

Looks like the most common is "two" but it's fun to see the distribution.

Mr Kestrel I am good for two for work if my hands are really dirty instead of using my shirt pocket light i have one worn on a lanyard around my neck to save messing my shirt up.

Status
Not open for further replies.