Olight SR Mini Intimidator review (2800 lm, 3xXM-L2, 3x18650/6xCR123A)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greetings All,
Since I first time saw the Olight catalog for 2014 the flashlight that caught my attention the most was the SR mini. And now, thanks to Olight company I have it, and would like to share my thoughts and measurements in this review.

ibasRMAQEMvqhU.jpg

What's so interesting in this flashlight?
It's the smallest flashlight from the senior SR line of Olight flashlights. Despite being very compact (shorter than many EDC flashlights including Thrunite TN12 2014) the flashlight manages to be extremely powerful - in turbo mode (more about it later) it manages to pull out an impressive amount of 2800 lumens. The flashlight is equipped with TIR optics and emits extremely floody light pattern - maybe the floodiest I saw .

Tech. Specs

ibbc8XnDebU3eH.png

127 mm and 2800 lumens - very impressive.
About the 2800 lumens and the turbo. 2800 lumens are achieved only in turbo mode, that is activated only when you hold the operating button down. When you release it it returns to last mode it was in before going to turbo. The flashlight emits a lot of heat, and in turbo mode you can burn a paper, plastic bag or a match only with the power of light. The difference in brightness between 1200 lumens is definitely visible but 2800 lumens doesn't seem to be twice as bright to the eye.

Packaging

ibjGbf6hKPClwy.png
i8AlMoqkiosX7.png
ibiG8tWskpEwCX.png

iFsRSNtfqy9eH.png

By examining the package you can understand almost everything about the light. But there is a little surprise inside - invisible from outside.

iE7hSZwZvsfsA.png
iv9Vgm36Dd9Yr.png
ibfkvdjegIyPv3.png

There is a small black box with goodies inside the box. The box contains a holster, armband, spare o-rings, more aggressive strike bezel with screws and tool for replacing it, warranty card manual and commercials of other Olight flashlights.

iv9Vgm36Dd9Yr.png
ib2B1TYuBOqngg.png
ibkFEKN2dI2rTt.png
ibzE1m7VBCXSaI.png
ivsy9Vpfydv7U.png

ibaAZFX5a3h0CA.png
i6zTUqIapdAjg.png

The contents of the bag. The second - more aggressive bezel is of much higher quality than the standard one. The standard has some rough surfaces.
The holster is very nice, lacks an option to open from the side that is close to the belt.

iKBo4ayHsAF4d.png
ivMmViyEQrQBc.png
i913bTvHw5moQ.png
iUt4C7srZy4ft.png
ibaGPkwIwFpQLk.png

Here is it, the hero. The flashlight sits very nice in hand, has a very good feel. The button will not be accidentally pressed I think. The button feel can be compared to the brake pedal in an automobile - at first it is smooth, and then it becomes tighter and actually controls the flashlight.
Short click turns flashlight on and off (there is mode memory). When you hold the button the flashlight goes to turbo mode, regardless of last mode. Double short click changes modes, tripple click turns strobe mode on (even from off).
There is "momentary on" option - you can press the button - the flashlight turns on in turbo, when you leave the button the flashlight turns off.
The button lits green when the flashlight is off. There is no warning when the batteries are low - the flashlight just suddenly shuts down.

ibxLDUdc8PFnIm.png
ibxENXU5CI2JRO.png
ioeL8agHR111n.png
ifhwk2k2UUL7E.png
ibhIrf7aNMsnsR.png

TIR optics, no reflectors inside. All batteries going in with the positive end. There is no possibility to use flat-head cells, it is also noted at Olight website.
From what I see the flashlight is made from a single piece from aluminum. The flashlight come with cartridges for installing CR123A batteries. The cartridge is also Olight branded.

iNMEfDboF3zsV.png
ig1UJCAEilSkG.png

The tail-cap is very sophisticated, I did not try to much to figure out why it is the way it is. The tail-cap has two holes for connecting the lanyard.

iU3IEBHE4uLC8.png
ivQNdc373d8O1.png
idDrMAf97UMcB.png
iL7iY0mKvU8b3.png

The flashlight in comparison with other flashlights. When compared you start to understand why it has "mini" in it's name. The flashlight is even shorter than the Thrunite TN12 2014. The other flashlights that I compared the flashlight to were Olight SR96, SupBEAM K50 V2, JETBeam SRA40.

ibdRN1XwoutOVF.png
ioXYe1hMMttUb.png

Right next to it's bigger brother (or father maybe?). Can you see the resemblance?

i3rX0FSEAzvVv.png
ibwizSeBAVvIPe.png

The aggerssive besel. Looks nice and different. Meanwhile I will not use it, I prefer the flashlight to be more compact.

icaa7x1ilAG7r.png
ibyJaJf2Ew7mPX.png
iXL6oYXn68RUR.png
ibzCBLA7wYQK84.png
ibi2L20bRSlE84.png
iOy0S26Fr0kCx.png

I took some pictures while changing the bezel. You can see the "star" beneath the optics, and the lack of reflectors (TIR optics, remember?).

iP5aAxLR9Zaxg.png

This picture expresses the flashlight light nature the best. No hotspot, really really nice.

ioY2ZXMdgFyqO.png
ikJnBI4htT4rh.png
ibeH8l7B4ZxQdp.png
iba2P0YcfUFM23.png

Control shot and light in different modes. The flashlight can easily replace cars lights, I think it is a dream bike flashlight - it lights just all around you, you don't have to know where to look - all is filled in light around the spot where you point the flashlight.

iWsok4D45LxQw.png
iV1Q3Ua16zbZ1.png
iWSNWPMa78oIH.png
ipPQOclF9MXCS.png
i3xBw95jwqKip.png

No PWM, no noise at any level.

Some numbers (lux in meter from the flashlight, hotspot)

Flashlight/ModeLowMidHighTurbo
SupBeam K50 V2525350090000110000
NiteFighter F40C (1200 lm)17040001040020800
Olight SR963200 (450 lm)9800 (1500 lm)33000 (4800 lm)
Olight M22 Warrior (950 lm)430-750019500
Jetbeam SRA 40 (960 lm)660-780031500
Olight SR mini21004320800013500

The results are very much expected. The beam is wide and not very focused, so it will not beat any record here.

Conclusion

I liked the flashlight very much. It is interesting, unique in many ways. If implementation of the turbo mode and lack of moonlight mode are not a big minus for you, and you need a really compact floody flashlight that can light all around you - than the SR mini can be the flashlight for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading. English is not my native tongue - so sorry for the typos. If you want me to check something specific or test something - please tell me before sunday evening - I am going to a work trip and will not be able to assist.

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. Interesting about the push to hold turbo.... Have to decide if that might be an issue for me.

goomashoom

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. I am in the market for a 3x18650 flashlight in the $100-$150 range. I'm not sure how I like the requirement to hold down the button for Turbo. I think I prefer the method of my Nitecore EA4 which stays in Turbo for 3 minutes after one button press before stepping down to HIGH mode.

tonkem

Enlightened
Olight just launched the SR52 also 3 x 18650, no hold down turbo, but is more of a throw light.

Thank you for the review. I am in the market for a 3x18650 flashlight in the $100-$150 range. I'm not sure how I like the requirement to hold down the button for Turbo. I think I prefer the method of my Nitecore EA4 which stays in Turbo for 3 minutes after one button press before stepping down to HIGH mode.

jupello

Enlightened
How big is the space for batteries, would protected 18650's sized something like 18.5mm x 70mm fit in?

jupello

Enlightened
Olight their own 18650 batteries are 69.5mm and those fit nicely, so that extra .5mm should be fine.

Yep, protected batteries did fit in without any problem.

I do like the momentary turbo on it. It's like choosing runtime with the 3 basic modes (visually there's not that much difference between the modes, except when going from hi to low), and when you want to check something at the distance - just aim and push the turbo button. It would be annoying to cycle modes to turbo and back when you want a bright light just for a short time. Sure, there could be both lock on turbo mode and quick access turbo, but I do not see much use for such a high setting to be used constantly (since it would have to be ramped down after a while anyways). And as said in the review, the light generates so much heat on turbo, that it will burn paper and other stuff in front of it, so lock on turbo could be safety issue too if left on unattended.
There is slight (0.5sec or less) delay when using the momentary turbo. It is noticeable, but haven't annoyed me yet.

TommyBBQ

Newly Enlightened
Great review. The owner of Going Gear (Marshall) did a great video of this flashlight saying of all the hundreds of flashlights he sells, this one is his favorite.