Eneloops now being made in China!

Power Me Up

Enlightened
Has anyone else heard that Panasonic is moving production of Eneloops to China?

Current reports state that they're still using the same product codes and rated for the same number of cycles but that they may not be using the same design and hence may not be as good as the Japanese made Eneloops.

Looks like the Chinese made Eneloops are currently destined for Asia/Oceana but Japan and Europe will still get the Japanese made cells. Australia is normally included in "Oceana" so I guess we'll start seeing the Chinese version here eventually :mad:

If anyone is able to get their hands on some Chinese Eneloops, please let me know - I'd like to do some cycle testing to compare them to the Japanese Eneloops ASAP!

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, I hope the quality doesn't slip. Otherwise, I'll seek out the Fujitsu ones.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to HKJ's recent review of the Fujitsu AAs. I asked about them and somebody said that they're made in the same factory as Eneloops, so...

so they cost a bit more unfortunately but will get them over Panasonic should quality be any different.

I'll it put down to Panasonic moving closer to the rare earth metal source but keeping an ear out otherwise.

Power Me Up

Enlightened
I'll it put down to Panasonic moving closer to the rare earth metal source but keeping an ear out otherwise.

I think that it's also to improve their profits by making them in a factory that they own. Cheaper labour and reductions in quality testing and materials would also improve profits - I'm hopeful that won't be the case but I'm not counting on it! :sigh:

ChibiM

Enlightened
There is a thread about this on another flashlight forum..probably the place where power me up got it from..
Search with Google for eneloop gets a make over, dated April 2013..

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Poppy

Flashaholic
I guess I am confused. I thought eneloops were Sanyo, not Panasonic, and I am not clear on Duracell rechargeables (Duraloops).
Will duraloops still be made in Japan even if eneloops are not?

ChibiM

Enlightened
The ones made in China seem to have a 65% capacity left after 5 years, instead of the 70% cells made in Japan.
I`ve searched quite a bit on the net, but can`t find them for sale!

ChibiM

Enlightened
Also.. they don`t seem to be on the market yet...so I don`t think we have to panic (yet). As long as I can get Made in Japan eneloops here, I`m satisfied..

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new in any company setting up in China,many companies do this to make a cheaper product to sell to developing companies.I know one particular truck maker who makes a lower spec truck to sell to developing nations.

Does not bother me in the least where they are made,why should it?

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Nothing new in any company setting up in China,many companies do this to make a cheaper product to sell to developing companies.I know one particular truck maker who makes a lower spec truck to sell to developing nations.

Does not bother me in the least where they are made,why should it?
Does not bother me neither as long as QUALITYCONTROL.

ven

Flashaholic
If its Panasonic its Panasonic and as mr mcnair states they have their brand at stake.I really dont see any risk if the Panasonic factory was in China/Japan or Timbuktu as long as its a Panasonic factory.They will have to have set quality standards to meet where ever they are produced.

To add fenix,armytek,nitecore to name just 3(many many more) are made in china,very advanced technology ,so personally i dont see it as a negative.........just my opinion:thumbsup:

Power Me Up

Enlightened
If its Panasonic its Panasonic and as mr mcnair states they have their brand at stake.I really dont see any risk if the Panasonic factory was in China/Japan or Timbuktu as long as its a Panasonic factory.They will have to have set quality standards to meet where ever they are produced.

My concern isn't so much that production is moving to China as such (although I do have concerns for the people there that are given poor work conditions, it applies equally to everything else made in China and not all companies end up treating their workers like slaves - hopefully Panasonic won't be doing that)

The bigger concern that I have is if the quality is reduced. Despite the expectations to the contrary above, reports are that the cells aren't the same - Panasonic apparently doesn't actually own the technology used to make Eneloops, so if that's the case, even with the best of intentions, it's quite possible that they won't be able to produce a cell that is good on their own production lines.

In the end, by far, the vast majority of consumers don't have the ability (or inclination) to properly test the batteries that they buy. If the Chinese made 2100 cycle Eneloops only give (say) 70% of the cycles of the Japanese made Eneloops, the most consumers would never notice the difference. If the Chinese cells were priced cheaper and were rated properly compared to the Japanese cells, then I wouldn't see a major problem with it, but I do object to paying the same amount of money for an inferior product. Unfortunately, it appears that they're going to be priced the same and use exactly the same product code, which I think is a bit underhanded.

Maybe the reports are wrong and the Chinese cells will be just as good as the Japanese cells - I hope that will be the case, but I'd really like to get my hands on some of the Chinese cells so that I can test them properly and compare them to the Japanese cells!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My concern isn't so much that production is moving to China as such (although I do have concerns for the people there that are given poor work conditions, it applies equally to everything else made in China and not all companies end up treating their workers like slaves - hopefully Panasonic won't be doing that)

The bigger concern that I have is if the quality is reduced. Despite the expectations to the contrary above, reports are that the cells aren't the same - Panasonic apparently doesn't actually own the technology used to make Eneloops, so if that's the case, even with the best of intentions, it's quite possible that they won't be able to produce a cell that is good on their own production lines.

In the end, by far, the vast majority of consumers don't have the ability (or inclination) to properly test the batteries that they buy. If the Chinese made 2100 cycle Eneloops only give (say) 70% of the cycles of the Japanese made Eneloops, the most consumers would never notice the difference. If the Chinese cells were priced cheaper and were rated properly compared to the Japanese cells, then I wouldn't see a major problem with it, but I do object to paying the same amount of money for an inferior product. Unfortunately, it appears that they're going to be priced the same and use exactly the same product code, which I think is a bit underhanded.

Maybe the reports are wrong and the Chinese cells will be just as good as the Japanese cells - I hope that will be the case, but I'd really like to get my hands on some of the Chinese cells so that I can test them properly and compare them to the Japanese cells!

Personally i see this as you making a mountain out of a mole hill.If you are so concerned why not write to Panasonic and state your concerns.As Panasonic now own Eneloop please qualify how Panasonic do not own the technology.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it not Uniross that developed the first low-discharge ni-mh battery`s i think i remember reading it somewhere, there must be an hundred different brands of low-discharge ni-mh out now, how much better are enloop?

John.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Chinese made Eneloops are currently destined for Asia/Oceana but Japan and Europe will still get the Japanese made cells. Australia is normally included in "Oceana" so I guess we'll start seeing the Chinese version here eventually :mad:

What happened in the USA?