Recommended flashlight for personal defense/ combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterparker20

Newly Enlightened
Hi there.

Long story short, I live in Chicago. This past year and a half, I've been mugged by a knife-wielding nut, had my door kicked down, had attempted break-ins ... and I live in the yuppie side of town.

The CPD have showed up in or near my apartment numerous times.

I'm a mild mannered guy who keeps to himself.. but this area is terrible. I'm moving to a different neighborhood shortly.

Anyway, I cannot bring a gun to work, various shopping centers, or night classes. It's just not practical for street carrying and I don't have a car.

So I was trying to assemble at least some tools for self-defense purposes (in addition to greater situational awareness in general). My initial thoughts were high strength pepper spray and a high powered flashlight. A knife would be useful, too, but what if someone at work or school saw me with it? They'd think I was a nutjob potentially.

I've read a few of the self-defense flashlight threads in this forum. Seems like some people think they have their uses; others think they are completely worthless for any degree of defense or mugging avoidance.

I have zero experience with powerful flashlights but I'm guessing they could blind an attacker for a second maybe if you have 500-1000 concentrated lumens. I also wouldn't mind one that can be used for bashing or stabbing in self-defense, though they seem relatively terrible in this regard. Why doesn't surefire or somebody make a flashlight with a two inch retractable blade on the end of it? Too psycho for them?

Can anyone recommend a portable flashlight that's useful for A. scouting dark areas in general where people are hiding (and dissuading attack b/c you're calling attention to the scene to distant onlookers) --- B. temporary blinding ... and C. stabbing, bashing, holding in your fist to clock someone as a last resort. I like the idea of a flashlight, because it makes you seem more like a boy scout than John Rambo with a 6 inch blade.

Also, someone please invent a blinding flashlight with a 2 inch retractable blade on the end that blasts virulent spores and bear mace out the front. We need a one-stop shop for one level below guns. Don't point me to tigerlight; that looks like cheap and utter crap. Thanks!

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Just to let you know 'flashlight as a weapon' topic is not a widely discussed topic on this site. It's generally frowned upon, and quickly go out of control. If you have questions about a good EDC then you'll get a lot of responses.

peterparker20

Newly Enlightened
I see. I'm a nonviolent person, but crime keeps finding me in this neighborhood.

Surprised at the aversion to the topic -- many people on here/ most of the high-end flashlight websites fully endorse affixing one to an assault rifle or pistol of some sort, which is several magnitudes more dangerous IMO.

Just curious what people think.

If it's frowned upon here for some reason, is there a forum that DOES discuss using a flashlight for personal defense? ;)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The light AS a weapon is banned in this forum for liability reasons, in case someone is injured, and, somehow the forum is judged as contributing to idea that a flashlight should be a dangerous weapon, flashlights could end up banned, etc.

SO, attached to a weapon is fine, BEING the weapon is not.

Other forums that don't care, don't have the expertise to tell you anything but use a big heavy light to hit people with, etc.

Even the idea of "Strike Bezels" is sort of silly, given the depth of penetration expected, etc.

So, anything that would work in a physical way is probably not going to work as an EDC...as EDC need to be small enough to not interfere with daily activities, etc.

Think back you your muggings, by a knife wielding maniac for example...honestly, he has a knife, you have a flashlight...but, DO you have the skill set and mind set required to ATTACK the guy with the knife, AND potentially KILL HIM? (Successfully?)

When you engage in a fight to the death (One of you has a lethal weapon/lethal skill set), are you (YOU) ready to KILL?

Are you SO skilled that you can RISK taking it EASY on the guy with the knife, with a mistake = YOU DIE?

ARE you are thinking that a flashlight that was able to be discreetly carried will be able to be brought to bear with such sufficiently devastating effect, so as to allow YOU to overcome and so severely wound the mugger, that he is unable to pursue you/then or ever in the future, and/or KILL the guy who came at you with a knife, and who WAS ready to KILL YOU?

Have you EVER killed or so severely wounded another person, on purpose?

Have you ever seen what happens in a fight when one side realizes that the OTHER side is going to try to KILL THEM?

They either **** them selves and run, cower and ask for mercy, or, try to kill first.

Which do you think the mugger will do when confronted by YOU? Do you like the odds?

Which response did YOU ACTUALLY have when ACTUALLY confronted?

And so forth. Its a conundrum faced by those who are NOT killers........facing those who ARE.

Bluffing can work, or, get you dead. Fighting can work, or get you dead.

Situational awareness can help avoid HAVING to make the choice, and, shining a bright light about and looking around shows awareness, and, those that stalk their prey look for body language and a general lack of awareness in their victims.

Walking like you know where you're going, with a confident posture and gait, etc, and awareness of your surroundings, reduces you apparent vulnerability, and, can lead them to choose an easier victim.

That has a greater likelihood of success, typically.

:D

peterparker20

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to walk around with a grenade launcher in that neighborhood, ideally. Then yes, I would have no problem 'bringing it to bear' against a mugger, no matter what his ultimate intentions -- the police can investigate the smoking crater and ash.

Unfortunately, the city of Chicago has numerous places you can't bring weapons, and it's difficult to obtain a CCW (ignoring that I don't have a car).

Yeah -- I'm moving to a better area (though I already thought I was in a safe area) -- I mainly want to increase my situation awareness. I was ambushed in a dark place, and (friendly) people were visible from a hundred yards away. I just want some basic defensive and awareness options without carrying an Uzi in my belt 24-7.

The idea of hand to hand combat with any blunt weapon is pretty much a fantasy/ last resort. I think awareness, and dissuasion, are important though & a flashlight can help to that end. One with a nasty metal end might be functionally useless, but it might have a modicum of intimidation factor. Enough so that some thug will think to wait for an easier target.

Or maybe not. Unfortunately, I can't exactly walk around with a baseball bat or tire iron, either.

As for this forum getting any type of flashlight banned, that seems like paranoia. What's next, banning 5 lb double-sided dildos?

Last edited:

FlowerPower

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the other posters. I, too, once lived in Chicago and it's all about how you carry yourself and awareness of your surroundings. Most likely you are being watched. Anyway, you might find the section on strobes interesting.

peterparker20

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting the Surefire ED2 backup, as some other site referenced that the lens + 500 lumens makes it pretty bright.

Only problem is that it's about $160 on Amazon -- and I'm not sure if the best answer right now is to carry MORE valuables my person. Maybe something cheaper.

Javora

Enlightened
Try to remember that a lot of countries outside of the U.S. most weapons are banned and protecting yourself or property from other people trying to harm you is illegal.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
The tools are helpful, but skill and mindset are what will matter most. A contact tool is only as good as your ability to make contact, as well as avoid contact being made with you, which is where your unarmed skills come into play.

My recommendations:

1) Awareness. Be aware of anything that is out of place or a sign that something is wrong.

2) Managing unknown contacts in a manner that forces them to reveal their intentions from a distance.

3) Physical fitness - focus on both strength and endurance.

4) Good unarmed fighting skills. Find a good mixed martial arts school - this will get you the most usable skills in the least amount of time.

5) There are some situations that only a firearm can address. Get your license, and carry it when you can.

6) Re: pepper spray, get something with an active ingredient of at least 2 million Scoville heat units, and at least a 10% concentration of active ingredient. A good choice is Sabre Red in their Spitfire dispenser. ASP also makes a "Key Defender" as well as a smaller "Palm Defender" and larger "Street Defender." I have the original Key Defender, which does not have my keys attached.

7) Other improvised/expedient weapons.

8) Good clothing choices. If your footwear does not facilitate running and kicking, wear something else.

Regarding the knife, there are numerous good reasons to carry one other than self defense. Do you have kids? Kids love escalators, and shoelaces or other clothing can get caught in escalators with disastrous results. Do you have a way of cutting a seat belt after a car accident? Although you do need to make sure your knife is in conformance with the laws in your area, and make sure you do not carry it anywhere it is illegal, anyone who things you are a nutjob for carrying one is shortsighted, paranoid, and stupid. Besides, this is where discretion comes into play.

Regarding specific lights, Surefire's E2DL is tailor made to your purpose, although it is expensive. Klarus Xt series lights and FourSevens Quark Tacticals are also good choices.

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Try to remember that a lot of countries outside of the U.S. most weapons are banned and protecting yourself or property from other people trying to harm you is illegal.

While the former statement may be true, I am not aware of any place other than England that completely prohibits self defense. Besides, true self defense means you have no other choice, which the law in most sane places is still smart enough to recognize.

Javora

Enlightened
I was thinking of England when I was tapping on my phone. Point is, outside of the U.S. it is a lot more restrictive to defend yourself. This site has to be aware of that fact which is why the restrictions are in place. This topic is more appropriate for a self-defense or survivalist website.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Just to let you know 'flashlight as a weapon' topic is not a widely discussed topic on this site. It's generally frowned upon, and quickly go out of control. If you have questions about a good EDC then you'll get a lot of responses.

Pretty much sums it up. There are other Forums out there than can give you some help. CPF looks at flashlights for lighting purposes, not for offensive or defensive uses, unless you are talking about using a flashlight to illuminate an area while it is affixed to a weapon, or while you are making an escape, using it handheld. Good info has been given in this thread to use a flashlight for illumination, which can be helpful. Closing this thread.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.