Decent quality headlight

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys

Last year I started getting into biking for recreation. I've been looking at various lighting options. I tried cheap lights which came with VERY cheap mounts but was not at all pleased with the results. Even slight bumps riding in the city on a mountain bike with front shock bounced the light and caused it to point straight down. I also found the battery life was pathetic and I had to carry spares for an hourish long ride. As you can tell from my sig I've made the jump to decent lights and have decided to do the same for a bike light. It's a matter of safety when riding in the city with cars and for my own enjoyment when on trails. I'm using a thunderbolt as my rear light though I may add more later, though I haven't tried it out yet it seems very bright for my needs. I ride a mixture of roads and trails around the city. I was looking at the twofish and similar bike mounts for use with my quarks but not sure how well it will hold. My experience with these hasn't been positive. Also while the flood of the 500 lumens is good the throw for centered illumination where I'm going isn't ideal. I may use a quark strapped on my helmet in the future but still require a bright throw light for the bars. I don't have the skill or tools to build my own so looking for recommendations of lights that would work for my application.

Thanks

Last edited:

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the twofish and similar bike mounts for use with my quarks but the flood nature of the xml would not be safe for city riding as it would blind other drivers. I'm looking for a more bike specific design that will aim the light sideways and down and not high into drivers eyes.
Most bicycling headlights use the same technology as common flashlights so going with even the Fenix BT series bicycling headlights won't prevent or even lessen the glare to oncoming traffic compared to using a common handheld flashlight of the same output level. Your best bet here is to get a bicycling headlight that conforms to the German bicycling headlight standards as they are very similar to car headlight standards and are designed to reduce glare on the road.

As far as quality bicycling headlights are concerned, there are quite a few manufacturers out there that produce a quality product. The problem is that you did not specify a budget. You also didn't specify if it mattered to you that the light be a single unit or a separate battery pack and head unit.

Savvas

Enlightened
I'm looking for a more bike specific design that will aim the light sideways and down and not high into drivers eyes. I don't have the skill or tools to build my own so looking for recommendations of lights that would work for my application.

Thanks

I can only suggest something from my own commuting experience which has mainly been limited to dynamo lights. I have used some excellent battery lights from DesignShine, Amoeba, Light&Motion & NightLightning. These are all excellent lights and good value for money. However the specific parameters you seek are difficult to meet unless -as someone has indicated - you go for a German standard light. There are a few battery driven lights built to this standard - the ones I'm aware of are made by B&M and Dosun. Although I haven't tried them, I would expect these battery lights to have similar performance to their dynamo-driven counterparts which I have been using for the past few years.

These dyno lights - the Dosun headlight, the E-delux and the Philips Saferide -are all excellent and outstanding performers in the context you describe. Some are much more expensive than others but in terms of value for money I'd have to point to the 'lower' end of the market - Philips, Dosun & the cheaper B&Ms. So there is plenty of choice if you want the German standard, though maybe not in your LBS if you live in the USA or elsewhere outside Europe. One internet vendor I can unreservedly recommend for such lights is Bike24. Wiggle, Dutch Bike Bits and Roseversand are also great to deal with.

One alternative of course is to build you own - either battery or dynamo - which is actually quite easy and relatively inexpensive if you don't mind the agricultural look! You won't be able to achieve the German standard but I have found that by using very narrow TIR optics such as the 8degree Crees from DX, careful aiming and mounting will come very close to what you want to achieve because such reflectors have limited spill and glare can be minimised. When it comes to lights that meet the 'sharp cut-off' optical standard you are after, we are ruled by the European markets which of course mostly favour dynamo lights! I'd maybe start by looking at the B&M products.

Others may disagree with what I've suggested - I can only speak from my own experiences.

savvas

Last edited:

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Most bicycling headlights use the same technology as common flashlights so going with even the Fenix BT series bicycling headlights won't prevent or even lessen the glare to oncoming traffic compared to using a common handheld flashlight of the same output level. Your best bet here is to get a bicycling headlight that conforms to the German bicycling headlight standards as they are very similar to car headlight standards and are designed to reduce glare on the road.

As far as quality bicycling headlights are concerned, there are quite a few manufacturers out there that produce a quality product. The problem is that you did not specify a budget. You also didn't specify if it mattered to you that the light be a single unit or a separate battery pack and head unit.

I'm not so much concerned about glare as in city driving everything is lighted, and light is bouncing off a lot of surfaces. I was more concerned about the flood shining directly into the eyes of drivers. Don't want to have a bright flashlight riding around like having bright high beams on. As a driver it can be dangerous and blinding and if you're the soft object on the other side it isn't safe for you either. A video I saw of the BTR20 seemed to cut off the top of the flood so it wasn't shining up quite so high. I'm trying to be considerate of drivers but my safety trumps an annoyance on their part. I drive a 4x4 and still encounter with HID and/or high beams on low sports cars that are blinding.

I don't have a set budget but looking $100-$150cdn. I'm looking for a bar mounted light, a seperate pack is okay as long as it secures well to the bike. Also easy of charging cells is important. Who makes bike lights to german standards?

I can only suggest something from my own commuting experience which has mainly been limited to dynamo lights. I have used some excellent battery lights from DesignShine, Amoeba, Light&Motion & NightLightning. These are all excellent lights and good value for money. However the specific parameters you seek are difficult to meet unless -as someone has indicated - you go for a German standard light. There are a few battery driven lights built to this standard - the ones I'm aware of are made by B&M and Dosun. Although I haven't tried them, I would expect these battery lights to have similar performance to their dynamo-driven counterparts which I have been using for the past few years.

These dyno lights - the Dosun headlight, the E-delux and the Philips Saferide -are all excellent and outstanding performers in the context you describe. Some are much more expensive than others but in terms of value for money I'd have to point to the 'lower' end of the market - Philips, Dosun & the cheaper B&Ms. So there is plenty of choice if you want the German standard, though maybe not in your LBS if you live in the USA or elsewhere outside Europe. One internet vendor I can unreservedly recommend for such lights is Bike24. Wiggle, Dutch Bike Bits and Roseversand are also great to deal with.

One alternative of course is to build you own - either battery or dynamo - which is actually quite easy and relatively inexpensive if you don't mind the agricultural look! You won't be able to achieve the German standard but I have found that by using very narrow TIR optics such as the 8degree Crees from DX, careful aiming and mounting will come very close to what you want to achieve because such reflectors have limited spill and glare can be minimised. When it comes to lights that meet the 'sharp cut-off' optical standard you are after, we are ruled by the European markets which of course mostly favour dynamo lights! I'd maybe start by looking at the B&M products.

Others may disagree with what I've suggested - I can only speak from my own experiences.

savvas

I have looked up the saferide as I've seen it mentioned in a few threads. But when I looked up the specs at only 100lumens that's not enough light riding on a dark path even at a slow speed. I'm looking for more power when I'm alone in the dark and then lower the brightness as the situation requires.

Last edited:

Savvas

Enlightened
I was more concerned about the flood shining directly into the eyes of drivers. Don't want to have a bright flashlight riding around like having bright high beams on.....

I don't have a set budget but looking $100-$150cdn. I'm looking for a bar mounted light, a seperate pack is okay as long as it secures well to the bike. Also easy of charging cells is important. Who makes bike lights to german standards?...

I have looked up the saferide as I've seen it mentioned in a few threads. But when I looked up the specs at only 100lumens that's not enough light riding on a dark path even at a slow speed. I'm looking for more power when I'm alone in the dark and then lower the brightness as the situation requires.

Well it was exactly glare/spill/whatever you want to call it upsetting oncoming drivers that I was referring to and it's exactly this that the 'German standards' are aimed at. You can look all of this up elsewhere on the CPF bike list and on numerous web sites and forums including Peter White's - http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm - and this one - http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html

All of the manufacturers I mentioned - B&M, Philips, Schmidt, Dosun etc make excellent lights to the German StVZO standards. Others too - notably Trelock & Hermans and many others.

Beats me where you get the 100lumens from for the SafeRide. Have a think about it for a moment - 2 x 3watt LEDS running conservatively with modern leds producing at least 100 lumens per watt. Even if you are dynamo powered and sharing with a rear light, you'll still get several hundred lumens. More to the point, virtually all of that brightness is concentrated, car-headlight style exactly where you need it rather than being sprayed all over the joint like a garden hose (or like a conventional Fenix-style flash light). If you read the swhs review site and other reviews (such as the 2013 mtbr shootout) you'll find that the Philips LBL (80LUX battery version of the SafeRide) is rated as just about the best value and best performing bike light available anywhere!

It sounds like you only have experience of round-reflector style lights. The StVZO standard ones I have mentioned are far more refined and highly developed lighting devices. As I have said, I (and others here) can only tell you what we know from our own experiences. For a bar-mount at your budget I'd look to the B&M battery powered lights, those similar lights made by Dosun and Trelock (all available from Bike24) or the separate battery pack B&M lights that I think Peter White carries (I'm presuming you are in the USA - you haven't said...).

Savvas

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl Tikka RXP

• Reactive Lighting Technology: Light sensors adjust light output instantly meaning less need for manual intervention, keeping your hands free. Optimised to guarantee burn time

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
Well it was exactly glare/spill/whatever you want to call it upsetting oncoming drivers that I was referring to and it's exactly this that the 'German standards' are aimed at. You can look all of this up elsewhere on the CPF bike list and on numerous web sites and forums including Peter White's - http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm - and this one - http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html

All of the manufacturers I mentioned - B&M, Philips, Schmidt, Dosun etc make excellent lights to the German StVZO standards. Others too - notably Trelock & Hermans and many others.

Beats me where you get the 100lumens from for the SafeRide. Have a think about it for a moment - 2 x 3watt LEDS running conservatively with modern leds producing at least 100 lumens per watt. Even if you are dynamo powered and sharing with a rear light, you'll still get several hundred lumens. More to the point, virtually all of that brightness is concentrated, car-headlight style exactly where you need it rather than being sprayed all over the joint like a garden hose (or like a conventional Fenix-style flash light). If you read the swhs review site and other reviews (such as the 2013 mtbr shootout) you'll find that the Philips LBL (80LUX battery version of the SafeRide) is rated as just about the best value and best performing bike light available anywhere!

It sounds like you only have experience of round-reflector style lights. The StVZO standard ones I have mentioned are far more refined and highly developed lighting devices. As I have said, I (and others here) can only tell you what we know from our own experiences. For a bar-mount at your budget I'd look to the B&M battery powered lights, those similar lights made by Dosun and Trelock (all available from Bike24) or the separate battery pack B&M lights that I think Peter White carries (I'm presuming you are in the USA - you haven't said...).

Savvas

This is where I read 100 lumens
http://www.mea.philips.com/c/bicycl...50A4435E111F4CA7.app120-drp2?t=specifications

I'll read those reviews and check it out. It says I'm from Canada in my info to the left.

Thanks for the help.

Savvas

Enlightened
This is where I read 100 lumens
http://www.mea.philips.com/c/bicycle%20lamps/led-bike-lights-saferide-bf60l60balx1/prd/;jsessionid=8CF731B0A33BAD3350A4435E111F4CA7.app120-drp2?t=specifications

I'll read those reviews and check it out. It says I'm from Canada in my info to the left.

Thanks for the help.

Ah-ha - my apologies. The mention of Canada was seen but didn't register. Nothing to do with you or Canada - everything to do with me!

I note that the Philips website talks about 110 lumens 'wide-angle'! I wonder what that means? Logic suggests that it's far more that 100 lumens and they market it variously as a 60-80 LUX light (which is very bright!) Anyway - read some of the reviews and discussion and see what you think. The new IxonIQ Premium StZVO handlebar battery lights listed at Bike24 also seem like nice lights. Peter White in the USA may carry them as well.

best wishes,

Savvas

DavidAD

Newly Enlightened

The Fenix BT series lights do cut off enough of the top of the beam to minimize the effect on oncoming traffic.