Charging protected Panasonic 18650 issue

wrhaliburton

Newly Enlightened
Recently I charged four protected Panasonic 18650 3400 mAh batteries with a Nitecore i4 charger. When the batteries finished charging, the yellow LED's turned off instead of staying constant. I checked the batteries with a voltmeter and they all showed
4.2 volts. As a test, I charged four Ultrafire batteres. They behaved as usual, LED's stayed constant. Could this have to do with the protection circuit?

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Im not sure on this but i think the charger turns itself off after a certain time when the batteries are full.
IIRC it happened to me once,could be some sort of malfunction too :shrug:

ven

Flashaholic
I never leave cells in for a long period of time once charged,cant give an exact time but certainly not within 10-20 mins of the cells being fully charged. My lights have never gone out,always stayed on the solid full bars.............to date.

There is a new version of the i4 ,or so it states on the packaging (not d4),could it be a new version? other than that not sure.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
well i am not sure on that but i think it happened to me once maybe an hour or two after full charge.I also usually unplug and take batteries out immediately after they are full.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I cant find written anywhere that it shuts off but for the OP if you get full charge and it turns off after that then it is not the batteries protection otherwise the battery voltage would be 0 volts.

dannyvapes

Newly Enlightened
my nitecore charger just stays on with 3 little yellow lights when they are finished. i believe the nitecore is smart enough to stop at 4.2v but never know.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. My charger has never shut the lights off after finishing.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you're not supposed to do it, but mine have sat in the charger for hours before I've pulled them out sometimes. The lights always stay on, and I've never had a problem.