Hexbright flashlight won't open

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I found a Hexbright being sold at a drastic markdown at a store so I snapped it up. After I got it home I discovered that the case is stuck and I can't get to the USB programming/charging port. Does anyone else have experience with this problem?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Bumpitty

My Hexbright is still sitting in it's box with a dead battery. Wondering if anyone else has one who can clue me in on how to get to the charging port.

msim

Enlightened
You definitely have to unscrew the tail to get to the charging port. Maybe a strap wrench can help.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You definitely have to unscrew the tail to get to the charging port. Maybe a strap wrench can help.

That's exactly what I needed to know. I wasn't sure if the end cap was supposed to unscrew or slide off, and I didn't want to force it. So I just went into the kitchen and grabbed the bottle opener wrench (sort of a strap wrench), gave it a twist and it worked! Thanks!
:thumbsup:

Just discovered that it uses a slightly longer than normal 18650 cell rated at 2400mah and branded as Hexbright. Wonder who really makes it.

Last edited:

Noctilucent

Newly Enlightened
Just discovered that it uses a slightly longer than normal 18650 cell rated at 2400mah and branded as Hexbright. Wonder who really makes it.
It shouldn't be particularly much longer than any other 'protected' 18650 with a nib. I've used cheapo brand and expensive ones and they all fit just fine. The nibless ones need a spacer though. As for who makes it, I think in the original project there were mutterings about AW, Sanyo and Panasonic, with explicit mention of disliking Ultrafire. I do know that whoever made them has OEM units in a light blue wrapper, but that could be any of them including knock-offs. All of them should be 'fine' though.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The Hexbright battery is so long that it will only fit into my WF-139 charger with a little bit of force, so it's definitely an oddball. Anyway I'm already considering upgrading the LED. Fortunately it's mounted on an easily accessible aluminum disc. The original LED looks Cree-ish. The light is rated at a respectable 500 lumens on high, but I think I can do better.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hexbright battery is so long that it will only fit into my WF-139 charger with a little bit of force, so it's definitely an oddball. Anyway I'm already considering upgrading the LED. Fortunately it's mounted on an easily accessible aluminum disc. The original LED looks Cree-ish. The light is rated at a respectable 500 lumens on high, but I think I can do better.
That is not that odd these days... in general for a few years many 18650 batteries have been too long or barely fit the older WF-139 chargers. I had to pack mine away as a result, but that's OK as i was being lazy and using it more than my better chargers, and now I've recently upgraded my main chargers to even nicer ones so I'm happy and my batteries are too.