Decreasing driver to increase dimming capability

MeCasa

Newly Enlightened
As I said on another post, I'm building a light array for a large aquarium and I have concerns about my ability to dim the blue moonlight to satisfactory levels. I'm using a LexDrive QuadPuck with Luxeon Rebel ES LED's and I haven't got my drivers yet. I understand that my drivers have to be sized for my usage but a common method is to oversize the drivers. I know many people using a 1000mA when a 700 or even a 350 would suffice. These are night lights and I see no need to overdrive them anyway, so would a 700 give me more dimming capability than a 1000, 350 more than 700 etc.

I understand that I cannot drop below requirements.

Thank you

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BuckPucks that go onto the QuadPuck can be dimmed all the way to zero, no matter the maximum current. However the QuadPuck data sheet says 140-1000mA dimming range. That seems odd. It also says "see applications guide for more information". I couldn't find the applications guide. Maybe you should contact them directly.

If the QuadPuck can't dim the BuckPuck all the way to zero, then a lower current puck would definitely allow you to dim to a lower level than a higher current one.

MeCasa

Newly Enlightened
I will contact LuxDrive and ask, although I have read where people had trouble below a certain range. My guess is that they will say no problem if that is the case I'll run a test with some Pucks I already have and make a determination from there.

Now I know that dropping down will help and that's a big help towards making intelligent decisions.

Thanks again