2 xpg2 mags

PScalfano

Newly Enlightened
Beamshots soon. I can get some interior or back yard shots now, but in my opinion these 2 are worthy of proper long distance shots. I'll try to get out and take some soon.

Any beam shots ?

jcs0001

Newly Enlightened
The one with the aspheric lense is a wild looking light. Looking forward to the performance.

John.

PScalfano

Newly Enlightened
I believe there is an issue with the direct drive light. I measured the tailcap current at a mere 2.4 amps with a good quality 26650. Something is going on in the switch area. I also noticed a small damaged area on the LED die from when I performed the hot de-doming on the xp-g2. So it's back to the workbench for that one. The Elephant performs incredibly well - it may be approaching 1m lux. I'll get a 'patio beamshot' soon, but proper shots may take a while. I have a newborn and can't get out at the moment.

PScalfano

Newly Enlightened
Here are a couple more photos. I noticed the wavien collar was not perfectly focused even with the provided spacer, so I used electrical tape between the spacer and the collar. I noticed a significant improvement. I had to file down the spacer in order for it to fit in the mag tube. The heatsink is from H22A with the lip cut off and turned upside down. I made a heatsink for the H6CC driver and fashioned it to the other side of the H22A heatsink. The H22A heatsink is secured to the mag body with a set screw (notice the broken tap? oops.) There is arctic silver 5 between the H22A heatsink and the mag body, and between the sinkpad and the H22A heatsink. The wavien collar is secured with hot glue at the moment. I wish there was a way that the collar could be mounted with fasteners, but space is very tight. This light heats up pretty quick, which tells me the thermal path is good.

IMG_9788.jpg
by pscalfano, on Flickr

IMG_9791.jpg
by pscalfano, on Flickr

Kenjii

Newly Enlightened
Hy,

that´s exactly the way I placed the Wavien Collar in my Blue Star. 1/10mm (1 stripe of tape) made a difference of 100 Kcd. I secured the collar with hot glue first for measuring Lux/Kcd but finally used epoxy to secure it permanently.

Wonderful build!

Greetings

Kenjii

PScalfano

Newly Enlightened
Hy,

that´s exactly the way I placed the Wavien Collar in my Blue Star. 1/10mm (1 stripe of tape) made a difference of 100 Kcd. I secured the collar with hot glue first for measuring Lux/Kcd but finally used epoxy to secure it permanently.

Wonderful build!

Greetings

Kenjii

Thanks for the compliment. I got the tape idea from you!

Here are some shots I got tonight. I live in downtown so I do not have a yard - only a patio. I will get some better shots when I can.

Here's the direct drive throwmaster light (current up to 3.2 amps with a fresh dedomed xp-g2)

IMG_0131.jpg by pscalfano, on Flickr

IMG_0129.jpg by pscalfano, on Flickr

Aaaand, the Elephant

IMG_0132.jpg by pscalfano, on Flickr

IMG_0128.jpg by pscalfano, on Flickr

Last edited: