Ultrafire rechargeable trouble

MightyBright

Newly Enlightened
I have rechargeables and they have worked alright, but recently I put a pair of 123s in a new EagleTac and it got so hot i got concerned and took them out. The same thing did not happen with a different pair of the same brand Ultrafire, so I've decided the batteries went bad.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there,the cells are hit and miss,best practice is to avoid anything *****fire (unless sure) .Have a search on here,some good brands and not expensive,safer,better perfomance and you know pretty much what your going to get.:)

Which eagletac light is it?

tandem

Enlightened
UltraFire are a hit and miss brand because a) they aren't interested in producing a quality product let alone a consistent product and b) China is full of wild-west actors who will do anything to make a buck including producing counterfeits of an already sub-par brand.

UltraFire 18650 cell filled with flour | Another UltraFire 18650 filled with flour | "Protected" TrustFire 18650 With No Protection Circuit

There are lots of truly great products coming out of China. UltraFire isn't one of them.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I took some ultrafire ( Ebay scam) 18650s LC 3800mah from a buddy that couldn't believe they could be dangerous. then I peeled the blue wrapper off and showed him the missing protection circuit (label says protected) they are half the weight of my Nitecore 2600mahs. I had 3 in my hand and immediately noticed the 3 Ultrafires lightweight feel. He had them in a Sunway V60C X3 18650s in series and brought it to me because the light was flickering under load at full power. when I metered the bottom charging plate it was dropping to under 8 volts. one cell was getting a tad warm so I dropped in the snow outside to be safe. I didn't want that POS in my house. After explaining the situation he now totally understands about cheap cells so I gave him 3 fresh Nitecore's and a spare charger I had. A Friend possibly saved from a mess and possible injury is priceless. :twothumbs

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure would be nice if Us Customs and Border Patrol were able to go after counterfeit batteries with as much zeal as they do counterfeit NFL garb.

I don't know of anyone physically harmed by a counterfeit football jersey, unlike a lithium ion battery which can cause a fire or lung issues if they vent. The lithium ion batteries have been listed as the cause of a couple of aircraft fires.

Friends don't let friends fly Robinson helicopters or cheap ****fire batteries.