Interesting Problem

skytrash

Newly Enlightened
I dropped my Fenix PD 32 on asphalt about 2 weeks ago, and it quit working. I was about to toss the 2 year old light, when I decided to invest a few minutes of my time trying to resuscitate it. As I was was starting to take it apart,I went ahead and switched batteries, even though the one in it was fresh. To my delight, the light worked fine. I tried putting the X-star 18650 on the charger, and it wouldn't take a charge. I'm guessing that the trauma fried the micro chip protection feature of the battery. Battery was also about 2 years old. I really like this light and carry it with me @ work 5 nights a week, and it has performed flawlessly.

Any thoughts?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the battery apart and separate the protection circuit and remove it. Then re-wrap the battery and try and charge it. It may work. I did it to a few batteries that I had that had bad or weak protection circuits on them. They work fine today and are a few years old.

Good to hear that the light is OK and still works. :thumbsup:

skytrash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I ran across several deals on E-Bay for18650 batteries, and have 24 or so, most have yet to meet the charger (I have several lights that use them). I'm not going to worry about a single battery, other then how to dispose of it. I was mostly curious to see if this was a problem that anyone else had encountered. I'm just stupid enough to briefly believe that maybe I was the 1st to have this problem.

Thought I'd share.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, had the exact same thing with a 17670 in a Quark.

clicky

Also try a parallel jump with another Li-ion cell. If that doesn't work, as RI Chevy mentioned, just open it up and remove the PCB board, re-shrink wrap it, and manually monitor it with a DMM. I waited too long (3 weeks) and the faulty PCB seemed to have accelerated parasitic drain and the cell was 0.2 V when opened it up - so I binned it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
OP, you do use a DMM, right? Read posts in the Flashlight Electronics, Batteries Included Forum. Not speaking as a moderator, but as a concerned member, please do not do any modifications to a Li-Ion battery.

Bill