Crown Jewel

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new crown jewel of my collection is a Phantom Warrior FL-5 Inspection light. Four AAs of halogen, sub-lumenal LED low with analog dimming, and about a P65 worth of halogen oomph kicks in when you open the throttle all the way. It's basically an Aviator on alkalines, and I love it. Every time I pick it up, I feel a little operator, and desperately wish they had a civilianized version of this bad boy, because it's way too useful to limit sales to the armed forces.

This acquisition is the culmination of at least five years' work, and a seller who didn't know what he had to offer.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prior to accessing specific product information and pricing, you must SIGN IN or REGISTER[/FONT]"

So you can't just buy one? I'd be interested in something like this, aa's that's significantly brighter than streamlights polymer 4aa xenon.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Prior to accessing specific product information and pricing, you must SIGN IN or REGISTER"

So you can't just buy one? I'd be interested in something like this, aa's that's significantly brighter than streamlights polymer 4aa xenon.

Nope. They sell the good stuff to law enforcement, and the better stuff only to the military. The FL-5 Inspection light is, compared to their newer products obsolete, but I'm fond of the niche it fills. Also, that's why it took five (well, maybe as much as nine) years of careful eBay trolling (lots of manual, plus using three or four search-bots) to find one; the company is known to re-purchase lights from eBay to keep them from leaving military (or retired military) custody.

Back when I was in college, one of their reps dipped a toe in CPF, but alas, nothing came of it.

Edit: Their civilianized "safety light" can be had on Amazon for $30ish, and other milspec lights on eBay routinely for $20-50. They're well-nigh unbeatable for their low lows, and if you want to use something around NVGs, there's no other choice on the market. Pity is, they could probably sell a (slightly) demilitarized Inspection Light here, and most people don't know what that thing on Amazon is. (PM me, and I'll send you a product link. If I include a referral code, it's going to support my local public radio station.)

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Leon, tell me about your title change please. Not sure what is going on here. I have one of the original Phantoms which I purchased one CPF, many years ago.

Bill

Filip

Newly Enlightened
leon, google "Phantom Warrior FL-5 Inspection light" and the second link gets you to a interesting pdf file.
Filip

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leon, tell me about your title change please. Not sure what is going on here. I have one of the original Phantoms which I purchased one CPF, many years ago.

Bill

Sorry bill I'm not sure- I'm seeing "Crown Jewel" as the thread title, and "Re: Crown Jewel" as the title header for every post in the thread. If I changed the title I'm not seeing it on my screen.