Long running police duty light

OLP

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm interested in finding a duty light that can last most of a nightshift and perhaps even have the batteries replaced.

I already carry two smaller tactical lights on my belt and LBV for beats work, so I would only be carrying the duty torch in the patrol bag in the car. We have access to Pelican 7060s and I do carry a charger in the car, but then need to expend the other two lights while waiting for it to charge.

Three options I'm looking at so far are;

Pelican 8060
Maglite ML125
Fenix TK35 Ultimate Edition.

Im not just concerned about lumen output. I would be happy with something that put out 200 but could maintain it instead of dropping off early.

Also in regard to ergonomics what is the Fenix like? I've only seen pictures of it used in a ice pick type grip because of the shape and switches on the tail end.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any personal experience with the lights you mentioned but I suspect the Pelican is a fine light. I will throw a few more suggestions out there:

1) Malkoff M61 (325 lumens) with MD4 body and 2x18650 rechargeable batteries. I haven't tested it in this configuration but I suspect it would provide 3.5-4 hours of continuous runtime at full output. One nice thing about the Malkoff drop-ins is that they provide almost perfectly flat regulation when powered by 2 lithium-ion batteries.

1a) Same as #1 but replace the M61 with the 175 lumen M61L. With 2x18650s in the MD4 body this would probably last the entire night.

2) SureFire R1 Lawman. In my tests (review) it runs for over 4 hours in its 150 lumen medium mode with the full output high mode available at any time with a press of the tail switch. In a pinch, it can also be operated with 2xCR123 primary batteries. It's expensive but it is a super nice light.

3) Inova T4R. It isn't as fancy as some other lights but it's solid and I like it. Much like the R1 Lawman (and at about 1/3 the cost), the T4R has a 150 lumen medium mode that runs for nearly 5 hours. Regulation is dead flat for the entire time.

wedlpine

Enlightened
I have been carrying the Fenix TK35UEvn while on foot patrol recently. Love the output on its highest setting and the tint. Has a nice low setting too when needed. Huge hotspot. :) Lights up the night.

TheVat26

Enlightened
My CHP friends really like the Pelican 8060. Very simple design, but long and flat runtime. The beam is pretty much the same as the 7060 with a little more throw and spill.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three options I'm looking at so far are;

Pelican 8060
Maglite ML125
Fenix TK35 Ultimate Edition.

That's quite a strange list, two sub 200Lm lights and the 1800Lm Fenix!

I'm not familiar with any of those models but would add that the Malkoff suggestions, by 880arm, can also have a High/Low ring fitted that would give you two outputs and a longer run time on the lower output.

It may also be worth you checking out the Nitecore MT40, look like a traditional style duty light, runs on two rechargeable 18650 batteries, with good throw and has the following outputs/run-times 860Lm/1.5hrs, 530Lm/3.5hrs, 280Lm/7.5hrs and 100Lms/24hrs.

Those run-times are based on 2 x 18650 2600mah batteries, there is a 3400mah version now available which should substantially increase those run-times.

Review of MT40 below

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...8650-4xCR123A)-Review-RUNTIME-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

Last edited:

jgb

Newly Enlightened
We have pelicans at work and I am not happy with them. The light output is not sufficient. Personally I would go for something a bit sturdier and with better light output.

OLP

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

@ Dave
haha, it was actually the supposed 13.5hr run time on 250 lumens that attracted me to it, not so much the max output.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Be careful with claimed run times. Many lights are rated down to 10% output...so, they claim the run time that goes with say 200 lumens as the run time until that 200 lumens has dropped down to say 20 lumens.

If you have a powerful light with more than one out put, for example you only need 200 L, but the light CAN put out 1000 L, you can run it at low or medium or whatever mode it has that approximates the output you want...and it typically can maintain its "low" etc, for a long time.

Also, remember that lumens are only the total output, but, if the beam is very floody, it spreads those lumens out over a wider area. IE: A 200 L light with a tight beam can glare too much to read by, but a floody light with 1000 L might be great for reading w/o glare, and so forth.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's quite a strange list, two sub 200Lm lights and the 1800Lm Fenix!

I'm not familiar with any of those models but would add that the Malkoff suggestions, by 880arm, can also have a High/Low ring fitted that would give you two outputs and a longer run time on the lower output.

It may also be worth you checking out the Nitecore MT40, look like a traditional style duty light, runs on two rechargeable 18650 batteries, with good throw and has the following outputs/run-times 860Lm/1.5hrs, 530Lm/3.5hrs, 280Lm/7.5hrs and 100Lms/24hrs.

Those run-times are based on 2 x 18650 2600mah batteries, there is a 3400mah version now available which should substantially increase those run-times.

Review of MT40 below

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...8650-4xCR123A)-Review-RUNTIME-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

I'm assuming because the Fenix can be throttled down and it's runtime will be extended dramatically.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much does size matter?
If size and weight aren't a huge issue, look at the Magcharger LED. On it's lower setting it's claimed to have 16 hours, and just over 4 on high. The high setting is 680 lumens and is a good thrower with good side spill, and can be adjusted to a nice flood too, no holes like the incan model. The low setting has a nice beam. I don't know the lumen rating, but a couple vendors state 25% power. It's still pretty bright though.