Suggestions for a noo-b please...

blown8950

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, I came here hoping to get some good suggestions on my next flashlight. It can be very confusing when researching as every company has the best and brightest and farthest reaching light, so I figured why not go and get some feedback from some real enthusiasts who truly understand these lights and have experienced them extensively. What I'm looking for is a small(ish) light that I can use to step out on my back porch and shine down in the field behind my house and check on the cows. They've been getting out some lately and I like to do a head count before turning in each night. I'm thinking about the size of my LED lenser HP7 would be great, but bigger or smaller can be had if the performance is right. I'd also like a really tight beam (narrow) with little flooding. Adjustability from narrow to wide would be great but if it has to be one or the other I'd prefer a narrow very focused beam. Also, I'm thinking at least 1000 lumens, something that will really reach. You might scoff but I have a Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable unit that I got as a gift and I really love the way it shines, nice and tight, but it just comes up short in the reach department. So something rechargeable would be a plus or with rechargeable batteries. So, sell me on your favorite flashlight! Thanks everyone!

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not on the small side really, but if you want 1000lm and a tight beam, check out the tk61.
It's a very long range thrower.
Will do 800meters, runs 4 x 18650 batteries, and has simple user interface.

If small size is required, a eagtac s200c is a single 18650, and also is a long thrower.

blown8950

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the reply! I researched both lights and the Eagletac was exactly what I was looking for so I put in my order today. I'll share my opinion when it arrives. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll probably end up with the Fenix as well.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy to help my friend.
Definitely share your experience with it when it arrives :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hey folks, I came here hoping to get some good suggestions on my next flashlight. It can be very confusing when researching as every company has the best and brightest and farthest reaching light, so I figured why not go and get some feedback from some real enthusiasts who truly understand these lights and have experienced them extensively. What I'm looking for is a small(ish) light that I can use to step out on my back porch and shine down in the field behind my house and check on the cows. They've been getting out some lately and I like to do a head count before turning in each night. I'm thinking about the size of my LED lenser HP7 would be great, but bigger or smaller can be had if the performance is right. I'd also like a really tight beam (narrow) with little flooding. Adjustability from narrow to wide would be great but if it has to be one or the other I'd prefer a narrow very focused beam. Also, I'm thinking at least 1000 lumens, something that will really reach. You might scoff but I have a Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable unit that I got as a gift and I really love the way it shines, nice and tight, but it just comes up short in the reach department. So something rechargeable would be a plus or with rechargeable batteries. So, sell me on your favorite flashlight! Thanks everyone!

Just to help explain a little for you - Lumens don't make a light reach, that's the cd of the light, not the lumens.

Lumens represent the total output of light, but, not how far it will be projected.

Think of a ordinary table lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it...that's probably ~ 1,700 lumens or so. Would a 100 watt bulbed table lamp allow you to check the cows from where you wanted to look? I'm guessing that the cows would need the table lamp to be on next to them, for you to see them from your porch, etc...but, from your porch, the lamp's lumens would not get out to the cows, etc.

:D

blown8950

Newly Enlightened
Don't be jealous because you ain't got no livestock. :twothumbs Really looking forward to my new lights arrival, and thanks fellas for the clarification. I just recently learned that a "thrower" is the term I was looking for.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha. I lived on a cattle farm for a few years. Either of those lights would have been nice.

And remember, the bigger the head of the light, the longer the throw. So if you need to upgrade, in terms of throw, bigger is usually better :)