strange function of a new battery charger.

xchcui

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I have new 12v small battery charger,which designed to charge all the types of lead acid batteries(up to 70AH).
It has 4 stage:
1)recovery mode(desulfation mode)-uses pulse mode.
2)bulk mode.
3)absorption mode.
4)maintainance mode-uses pulse mode.
and i have two option of max charging current.
I measured the charging current and voltage on car battery and i try to figure out if what i observed is charger fault or it should work this way.

I start charging 12V/55AH(12.4v,state of charge)car battery with the higher max charging current.
At first the voltage start to rise smoothly up to 14.5v(rise smoothly at the bulk stage)while the charging current was the max that the charger could give.
And when the voltage reached this 14.5v,the voltage started to fall and rise instantly and repeatedly from 14.5v to about ~12v or ~13v,again and again...
It is happened in the beginning of the absorption stage.
As far as i know,it should be stayed at a round 14.4v and stay fixed on that voltage until the current decrease to a minimum set current,rather than,repeatedly fall and rise,shouldn't it?(i familiar only with traditional old chargers)
Isn't it a fault?
By the way,also,the charging current was instantly and repeatedly fall and rise in that absorption stage,instead of decrease smoothly down forward the minimum set current.
I know that the charger provides pulses on the recovery and the maintenance stages,but could it be that the smart charger uses pulses also in the absorption stage,and that is the reason that i saw in the multimeter that phenomenon?
or it could indicate faulty charger?

For certain reasons,i didn't mention the brand of the charger and omit some characters that could reveal it.
But the main idea is to understand if todays new technology smart chargers
are using charging method that give that behavior in the multimeter so what i had been experienced is,actually,not a fault.
Or it does?

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts